Lost rear anti sway bar

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Pete Gant

#1 Lost rear anti sway bar

Post by Pete Gant » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:24 am

I am looking for a second hand rear sway bar for V12 roadster between the painter and the sand blaster it has been lost, can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get a replacement.

I know that I can by upgrade ones but you have to by a pair and they are quite expensive.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Pete Gant NZ 1966 E Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

Post by vee12eman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:06 am

Hi Pete,

Can you clarify what you mean by a rear Anti Sway Bar, do you mean the radius arm, which is sort of triangular, with a large round hole at one end and a smaller round hole, at 90 degrees to the first, at the other? My understanding of a sway bar would be an anti Roll bar, which weren't standard on Series III cars. Terminology in different countries differs for many components.

An image of a radius arm can be found here (copy and paste the whole next line into your browser):

http://www.sngbarratt.com/catalogue/par ... eys=radius arm&modelfamilyid=&categoryid=&stype=1&pagepos=12&back=y&next=y

If so, then any E-Type Radius arm will fit, but early cars have mountings for roll bars, however the geometry is the same. I actually have one of each on my Series III, as that's how I got the car. You just don't use the roll bar mountings.

The radius arms from the S-Type (original 1960s car) or 420 fit too, according to that advert, which might make your search easier. They shouldn't be too hard to find and I think the one listed at SNG in the above post is quite good value, since it appears to include both bushes, which from SNG will be good quality, you could order the replacements for your other arm too. Postage from SNG is quite quick to Aus, so probably is to NZ too, but the arms are heavy and postage might be a little steep.

Now I am not sure about this, but if you check the other radius arms on the site, they list the later XJ6/12 and XJS arms as suitable for E-Type as well, if the dimensions are the same, they will fit and this might be a way to upgrade, better yet, any old XJ6/12 or XJS in a wreckers yard can donate a cheap pair, but you still need new bushes. However, give SNG a call first, or see if others on the forum know whether they fit the E-Type too.

As to availability of s/h originals, I have no idea of stockists in NZ, but I have an advert in my hands for the Jag E-Type Warehouse, phone no. +61 3 5156 7727, mobile +61 408388656. He used to be in Kinglake Victoria, prior to the bushfires of 2009. I have never been there or even spoken to him, he may no longer exist, but he says he has new, reconditioned, imported and used spares in the advert. He is now based in Newlands Arm, Victoria although my advert is in an old magazine (Oct 2009).

Incidentally, don't buy cheap bushes, I did and they tore before the car rolled more than 20 metres, I now have new genuine Melalastic bushes fitted.

Regards and good luck,
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vipergts
Great Britain

Post by vipergts » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 am

Sway bar is the anti roll bar me thinks???
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

Post by vee12eman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:28 am

Hi again,

Yes, reading the original Post again, it seems a sway bar may well be a roll bar. When a pair was mentioned, I got confused. The problem is that Series III cars didn't have rear anti roll bars, so a replacement will depend on how the original car was modified - was a Six Cylinder item used, was it an after market upgrade or what?

Regards,
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 am

Series 3s do not have rear sway/roll bars - front only.

Though I believe the XJS has one and these have been grafted to the series 3.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:34 am

A Series 1/2 2+2 ARB might fit. The tunnel around the IRS is very different on LWB cars so no SWB bar would fit, but any LWM bar might be usable and tacking some mounts above the small radius arm bush wouldn't be rocket science, or arranging fasteners on the tub on the front wall of the tunnel either. Sounds like the original part may not have been lost, rather it perhaps never existed?

Note that the bushes for the rear ARB on LWB cars are smaller ID than front bushes which most people sell for this purpose and which at second glance, never mind first, look identical. I had a lot of trouble finding the correct parts though things may be different now. I lost count of the number of vendors who told me they were all the same size. I think SNGB mentioned they might be the same as Mk2 bushes and they did eventually find me a set. Shorlty after that I found the pair I'd bought some years before - ain't it always the way? :-)

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pete Gant

Post by Pete Gant » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:18 am

Thanks, for your replies it seems that my car may have been modified attached are details of a 1974 series 3 OTS in Netherlands with a rear anti roll bar fitted car details as follows. So do you believe that it is not necessary to have a rear sway bar??

See link http://www.xkedata.com/gallery/zoom/?id=62769
What are your thoughts?
I see from SNG Barratt that the have the following part
S3 uprated front & rear kit SBS1089, has any one used this upgrade and is it easy to install?

5.3 Jaguar E-Type Dark Blue
Open Two Seater Biscuit
Left Hand Drive Not Available
British Leyland New York
UE1S25589 17 August 1974
7S16868LB
4S8427
KL8241
5 April 1974
Pete Gant NZ 1966 E Roadster

Link:
BBcode: