S3 4 Speed Auto Gearbox

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
D COUPE
Great Britain

#1 S3 4 Speed Auto Gearbox

Post by D COUPE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:28 pm

I have been looking to change the automatic gearbox in the S3
from a 3 speed GM box for a 4 speed TH400 or 700.

Has anyone had experience of such a conversion.

Thanks Dave C
ITS NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE ITS HOW GOOD YOU LOOK IN IT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

Post by Woolfi » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 pm

I know a owner of a E-type 2+2, series III in Offenbach nearby Frankfurt / Germany, who has mounted a 4-gear automatic box from a XJ40. I think it is called ZF22-HP4. This works well und he is very satiesfied with the change.
Also this box is not so big like the GM boxes and less difficult to fit into the narrow original tunnel.
Regrds Wolfgang Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
D COUPE
Great Britain

#3 Gear changer

Post by D COUPE » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks Wolfgang thats the change I was contemplating.

I would appreciate any info on the swap. I do know that the
ZF HP4 24 as an ECU, although The ZF HP4 22 does not.

I have a ZF HP4 22 on the bench for another project so
I am familiar with its applications

Regards Dave C

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

Post by Woolfi » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 pm

I think he mounted the HP4 22 without electronics.
Another friend of me has mounted such a HP4 22 into a XJ6. Also he has put such a box into the EV12 roadster of a customer. He told me, that he is allways mounting the HP4 22, not the HP4 24.
You need a special clutch -housing to fit the gearbox to the motor. Arden in Germany has produced such clutch-housings 20 years ago.
I think also barratt is selling (all ?) the parts you need for this transformation including the gearbox in a (expensive) set. May you can buy this set without the gearbox.
Regards Wolfgang Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
D COUPE
Great Britain

Post by D COUPE » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 am

The ZF4 HP22 is fitted to the X300 Jaguar 2.9/3.4 as standard. The only problem I can see is fitting it to a V12. The ZF4 HP22 box when modified with some parts from the ZF4 HP24 box is a great upgrade.

Its just finding someone Who as done it and the components they have used to connect to the V12.

Regards

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

D COUPE wrote:The ZF4 HP22 is fitted to the X300 Jaguar 2.9/3.4 as standard. The only problem I can see is fitting it to a V12. The ZF4 HP22 box when modified with some parts from the ZF4 HP24 box is a great upgrade.

Its just finding someone Who as done it and the components they have used to connect to the V12.

Regards
No such thing as a 2.9 X300, or a 3.4 in XJ40 or X300 forms. The 3.4 was the XK engined car that only used various old-tech 3-speed autos.

ALL pre-1990 XJ40s got it AFAIK (i.e. 2.9 and 3.6, from 1987-1990). From 1990(ish) they went to 3.2 and 4.0L engines and the 3.2 stuck with the non-electronic box all the way through the XJ40 and X300 models to 1997. The Land Rover Discovery used it (my 1997 has it) amongst many others, but I don't know about the mountings for those.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
D COUPE
Great Britain

Post by D COUPE » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks peter for that. The ZF box on the right application is a V good Auto box. It was fitted , as You said, in the Range Rover, Bmw 3 5 series
Senators and later Vauxhalls. So I was hoping some one had taken the step of upgarding a S3 to a better gearbox.

I have a Rover V8 powered car and the Auto box (ZF4 HP22) is great for crusing at 80 mph with the forth gear

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 pm

You do know there's a kit for all this, right? John's cars in the US make them and although apparently not cheap it is comprehensive I believe. Me? I'd stick a manual on it for less than half the price.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
D COUPE
Great Britain

Post by D COUPE » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:19 pm

I have seen the Johns car conversion. I just thought I may find some one a litte more local. But at $750 it may be the way to go.

DC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Norton
Norway

#10 Re: S3 4 Speed Auto Gearbox

Post by Norton » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi. I have recently aquired my first Jaguar, a -71 S3 ( us model ) with std. 3 speed auto. And just joined this forum. And came across this thread and suddenly a ZF HP4 22 box is available nearby.
This question have probably been asked before but I can’t find it...
Does anybody know what other parts than the gearbox are needed? Any modifications to engine, chassis or gear change linkage etc? What kind of work is involved / can it be done without removing the engine?

Thanks, Harald.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#11 Re: S3 4 Speed Auto Gearbox

Post by Gfhug » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Harald, welcome to the forum. Lots of help and advice on here. One thing you might like to consider is that you can fit a manual gearbox with overdrive from a Jaguar Saloon car should you prefer that to an automatic gearbox. Just something for you to consider.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Norton
Norway

#12 Re: S3 4 Speed Auto Gearbox

Post by Norton » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks Geoff.
That is also a consideration. Have read on some thread that that is a more complcated conversion?? But do you know what saloon car would be the most suited donor? And again what modifications, other parts etc. would need to be involved?

( The E type have fasinated me for many years and finally I was able to get one )

Harald

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#13 Re: S3 4 Speed Auto Gearbox

Post by lowact » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:51 am

Um… clutch reservoir, hydraulic lines, hydraulic slave cylinder, hydraulic master cylinder, new pedal box with clutch pedal & master cylinder mounting, flywheel with pressure plate, clutch cover, clutch plate, release bearing, clutch fork, bell housing, xj6 gearbox modified for slave cylinder mounting, e-type gearbox top cover, gear lever, plus all the miscellaneous bits that go along with each of the above.
4 speed auto plus 2.88 diff, maybe hard to improve on?
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#14 Re: S3 4 Speed Auto Gearbox

Post by angelw » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am

Harald Wrote:
And again what modifications, other parts etc. would need to be involved?
Hello Harald,
As noted by Colin, but no modification of the XJ6 Gearbox Case is required for the Clutch Slave Cylinder mounting, nor is a new Pedal Box required. The same Pedal Box is used for Auto/Manual - Left and Right Hand Drive cars, you simply require new Brake and Clutch Pedal Levers, plus Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders to complete that part of the conversion.

You will need an E Type style Top Cover. The Top Cover for All Synchro Manual Gearbox fitted to MK10 Jaguars is the same as an E Type, but these may be even less common than an original E Type part. Denis Welsh Motorsports make new Top Covers suitable for an E Type. You will be able to use all the Selector Rods and Gear Lever mechanism from the XJ6 Top Cover assembly.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Norton
Norway

#15 Re: S3 4 Speed Auto Gearbox

Post by Norton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Thank you all for info. My std. 3speed auto works fine but gives rather high rpm at cruising speed. I assume that rear axle ratio is 3.55 as it is u.s spec. The ZF HP4 22 box would adress that, as 4. is an overdrive. A manual box with overdrive would be more fun. But as mentioned a ZF box is available at approx. £ 700 here in Norway, from a -86 XJ40. To me that seems to be an easier way to go. But challenges along the way are sure to show up.. Bellhousing, propeller shaft etc. I have to think about it..
Harald.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic