series 3 Stromberg needles

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
pcwesthead

#1 series 3 Stromberg needles

Post by pcwesthead » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:42 pm

When Series 3 are converted from USA spec to UK spec, and all the emission equipment is removed , such as air pump....should the needles in the carbs also be changed...and if so ...what to?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 pm

The carbs on my California car were very different to the UK carbs to accommodate the emissions stuff. I replaced the complete set of carbs and inlet manifolds on my car for a UK set, which I sourced from one of the Jaguar autojumbles in Stoneleigh for around ?100.....then rebuilt those to standard specification.

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
pcwesthead

Post by pcwesthead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 am

ok, thanks, with all the emissions equipment off, how can I identify the right inlets and carbs, and what needles do you run.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

Post by Woolfi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:16 pm

A friend of me has done this often with the cars of his customers. He never told me, that he is changing the needles.
I would dismount all emission-stuff and drive the car. If the electrodes of your sparks are not all white, I think the needles are okay.
Regards W. Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

e-bygum

Post by e-bygum » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Try looking in the parts manual. It shows the part nos. relative to market and engine no.
My early UK car had none of the US/Canada emission kit fitted ex factory and the ROM lists the needles as B1BH which tallys with the parts book.
I don't think there is any difference between the inlets relative to emission kit other than the holes for the air pipes which can be plugged.
Pete
'71 S3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic