Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
tcat

#1 Jag Eyes headlamp covers

Post by tcat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:09 pm

In the June 08 issue of the E-Type club magazine "The McNabb Report",
there's a mention of a headlamp cover called Jag Eyes suitable for
S II and S III E-types. The cover has been developed by an american
Richard Wright, who also has a web site - www.jag-eyes.com. No substantial information is available on the site and even though I've filled
in the form no contact has been taken. Has anybody else heard about
Jag Eyes and if so how can one order a pair or a kit. Would be pleased
to get some more information. tcat

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Welcome to the Forum. I have heard of Jageyes but never seen any fitted to a car or heard feedback. The alternative is the Wahlsinn covers which require no body modification or paint work: http://www.wahlsinn.com/?lang=en I have seen a car with these on and I thought it looked spectacular. Not cheap though, but reversible if you decide to sell the car in the future.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
tcat

#3 Rapid response on Jag Eyes

Post by tcat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Thank you Heuer. Jag eyes installation doesn't require any body mods or
paint job either. In the before mentioned June issue on page 9 there's a
picture of a beautiful SII '71 FHC with a pair of Jag eyes fitted. I think they
look gorgeaus. Of course one should see them live.
reg.tcat

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:57 pm

The Jageyes and the Wahlsinn covers produce a completely different look so it is down to individual taste. Please let us know how you get on in sourcing a set.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Car-Nut

Post by Car-Nut » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:13 pm

Is there a lot of difference in price in the two makes?

IMO it doesnt look right on a S III why go for the more modern look\car then convert it back it to S I looks :?: You are messing with the originality of the car.

Just my 2p :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Clive

The Wahlsinn covers are about ?900/pair, the Jageyes about $1,000 but information is scant on the latter. These are reversible modifications so no harm in adopting them. All down to personal taste however I can imagine if Jaguar could have got the 70's lighting technology to work with covers they would have done so.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:56 pm

I think that the Jag-Eyes solution looks very clunky, retaining the big chrome eyebrow at the top. The Wahlsinn offering looks elegant and just right,?that one gets my vote, even at double the price. Or put another way, I would fit one but not the other!

Clive, the only reason the light covers were removed was so that the headlights worked at night by being able to focus the light beam rather than have it scattered by the glass?a piffling detail I think. I well remember being driven at breakneck speeds at night after several hours in the pub with the road ahead being lit up by, seemingly, a couple of torches. The E Type ability to see matched ours perfectly. Not that I?m advocating such behaviour in these PC days?drinking and driving was positively encouraged then?..I think.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Car-Nut

Post by Car-Nut » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:26 pm

MarkE wrote:
Clive, the only reason the light covers were removed was so that the headlights worked at night by being able to focus the light beam rather than have it scattered by the glass?.
Mark, Yes I think had read that somewhere it just beats me though why people go for the modern one of the model then want to convert it back to the "old skool" look so to speak.

Personally if I had a S III Id spend my hard earnt on something else for it. :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkE
Great Britain

Post by MarkE » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:50 pm

It is a lot of dosh for a pair of covers that will reduce the effectiveness of the headlamps! But, like wider wheels for the S1, for me it removes the one main aesthetic design flaw in the S3. Well, maybe the grille isn?t too clever either.

As you?ve seen from the upgrade list for the S1, and the lack of upgrade list for the S3, there isn?t much to sort on the S3. The brakes are very good, as is the cooling. The wheels fill the arches, and it already has the reclining seats. The power steering is horribly light, but easily sorted with a re-valve jobbie. And that?s about all to spend on. Of course, conversion to injection combined with a 5 speed box would enable the car to be a super reliable and economical 130 mph cruiser, but you?d have to find somewhere secure to attach the Greenpeace sticker acquired with your new found smiling carbon footprint lest it gets blown away.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Agree entirely with Mark. Those Wahlsinn covers really transform the S3 bringing it closer to the original design before compromises had to be made. Worth every penny. I also think the Jageyes do nothing for the car.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic