S3 tachometer flaking paint inside

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
jivili
Great Britain

#1 S3 tachometer flaking paint inside

Post by jivili » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:32 pm

Whilst transferring gauges from old dash panels to new I noticed that the tachometer had white dust on the inside of the glass.
On stripping the tacho the white paint on the inside of the case seems to be flaking off.
The paint job on the inner case seems to be a combination of white, green and black.
Can anyone tell me the reason for this?
I want to cure the problem so intend to bead blast the case and paint,I assumed that they would be just white inside hence the question.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
jivili
Great Britain

Post by jivili » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ManniB
Germany

Post by ManniB » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:16 am

Hi jivili,

if you look at the pattern of the different colours, it looks like they have been chosen intentionally to control intensity and reflection of the light. For example the green paint is applied to intensify the green light from the (I assume) indicators. Thus, it seems to be a good idea to duplicate the colour scheme when you re-paint the housing.

- Manfred

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

Post by Simonpfhc » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:53 am

The colour combination is by design to control the intensity and strength of reflection.

Bead blast the interior as planned and then respray whith white gloss. Buy some bright green paint then a couple of quick sprays each side should do it.

If you leave it all white, you will end up with a much brighter, less green, glow inside the instrument. This may well be a good thing, but will not match the other instruments.

You know what's coming next...............do them all :-)

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:56 am

I do not think there is any point in bead blasting this, and it will harm the plastic lenses. I should just get some white paint and brush it on the white areas, leaving the green as it is

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic