Steering Lock & Ignition Switch

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Bill
Great Britain

#1 Steering Lock & Ignition Switch

Post by Bill » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Ignition switch has failed. I have purchased a replacement unit from SNG Barratt (part 37103). This new unit has a number stamped on the steering lock section (WGP622) and the wires from the ignition switch terminate in a 6 pin plug.

The number stamped on the old unit is WGP621 and the wires (White, Brown, White/yellow, White/red) terminate in a 4 pin plug (which fits into a 4 pin plug in the wiring harness).

Part # 37103 is the part listed for my Series 3 Roadster in the SNG Barratt catalogue - I have emailed them for clarification and/or what changes I need to make to the unit supplied to make it fit my vehicle. I ma awaiting a response - has anyone out there experienced a similar issue?

Cheers,
Bill

OOPS - numbers stamped on the steering lock are - New unit WGB622 - Old unit WGB621

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nialls Shortbear
Virgin Islands (USA)

#2 Re: Steering Lock & Ignition Switch

Post by Nialls Shortbear » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 pm

Sir,

What year is Car?

What colour wires on new switch. Are you sure white/red on old switch is not white/pink?

Cheers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Steering Lock & Ignition Switch

Post by abowie » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:05 am

It's likely that the original units are NLA and the switch you have been sent is the next best option. You may have to rewire the plug to suit your vehicle.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457..oops. Jezza the V12 XJS race car.
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bill
Great Britain

#4 Re: Steering Lock & Ignition Switch

Post by Bill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:33 am

G'day Nialls & Andrew,

Car is RHD Manual Roadster - left the factory August 1973. Yep, lead is White/pink (not red). Looking a the switch from the rear, the wiring is the same except for the additional 2 middle connections.

Top left contact lead to plug is White on both new and old.
Top right contact lead to plug is Brown** " " " "
Bottom left contact lead to plug is White/pink " " " "
Bottom right contact lead to plug is White/yellow " " " "

Middle left contact lead to plug is thin Brown (new unit only). This connects to the same pin as the top right/Brown lead** new switch only.
Middle right contact lead is thin Brown/red.

The two additional/middle leads run to the two additional pins on the plug - I'm thinking I ought to be able to cut the side off the plug, removing these two additional pins, allowing the plug to then fit to the 4 pin socket in the loom under the dash? Reluctant to do this just yet ($A858.00 "investment"). Thanks for your interest, would appreciate any further thoughts you might have.

Cheers,
Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic