Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
SKU3410
Great Britain

#1 Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by SKU3410 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:16 am

Morning. Recently went for a drive. First 5 miles till I stopped ok. Car normally settles quite quickly but it has a slight misfire on start up. But on restart which took a lot more effort than usual, had a large misfire and then developed into a back fire. At the same time the engine became really down on power. Decided to head straight home. Barely made it up hills. When I parked the car my son noticed spitting blue flames before I switched off. The left rear silencer was glowing red thru the left side of the fan tail. Did some research and could be one or more of several things but just wondered if anyone had a similar issue that would help me know where to start. Or any suggestions would be handy.
Thanks
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by MarekH » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Dear Kev,

It can't be "one or more of several things" - you are pumping unburnt fuel into and back out of the cylinders without igniting it first. The hot exhaust then ignites it.

I'd take a look at your ignition and why it isn't lighting the mixture in the cylinders where it is supposed to. Then I'd check whether too much fuel is somehow going in relative to airflow.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by abowie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:46 am

What car do you have?
As Marek says the exhaust is getting hot because unburned fuel is detonating in it.
Likely cause is a timing/ignition fault and I'd pursue that first. Too much fuel is the other possibility but I'd have my money that it's spark that's your problem.
Cheers, AB

FWIW have a run through my "No spark" algorithm for the 6 cylinder car.

No Spark
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457..oops. Jezza the V12 XJS race car.
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
SKU3410
Great Britain

#4 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by SKU3410 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks guys for your help. I have a 1972 series 3 red Fhc. Will start with ignition. I think there are carb issues too tho. Still learning. Thanks again.
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

D COUPE
Great Britain

#5 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by D COUPE » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Sorry for not reading your post earlier........I have the same issues and it is usually damp in the dizzy cap.

After a little lay up the damp condensates in the cap and all hell breaks lose when you try to go anywhere.

:wavegreatbritain: My cure is to remove the offender and dry the dizzy out with a hair dryer. I always carry a new cap where ever I go......

Worth a try

Dave C
ITS NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE ITS HOW GOOD YOU LOOK IN IT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
SKU3410
Great Britain

#6 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by SKU3410 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Ta Dave. Planning some time on it weds. May start with that then. I'm as bald as you can be so will borrow the wife's dryer. I must remember to post results
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

D COUPE
Great Britain

#7 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by D COUPE » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:35 pm

I just remember thinking after a few mile, things just cant go so badly so quickly. The common denominator was the dizzy cap.....

DC
ITS NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE ITS HOW GOOD YOU LOOK IN IT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#8 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:25 am

SKU3410 wrote:Ta Dave... I'm as bald as you can be so will borrow the wife's dryer. I must remember to post results
Kev
Sorry, but I think you'll still be bald :-(

As for the misfire, an IR thermometer will hrlp show which cylinders are misfiring, which can be a strong diagnostic for carbs or electrics on a V12.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
SKU3410
Great Britain

#9 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by SKU3410 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Well chaps it would seem it was the Distributer cap contacts. Needed cleaning. Cant check on a run yet but fired up and ran smoothely. Thanks for all your help. Lets hope.......
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Adamski
Great Britain

#10 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by Adamski » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:07 pm

I think you've had a lucky miss and hope it was just as simple as that. Having battled with this issue for months/years and now nearly solved the issue I suspect your ignition is breaking down due to heat. Heat is an issue in itself especially if you have older Opus ignition and even replacements. The retard unit on the distributer could be part of the problem giving retard when it should be inactive due to the thermostatic vacuum valve once warm. These are unreliable and are not shutting vacuum off when they should and the retarded timing at low revs and tick over caused overheat.(No longer available) Also various vacuum pipes may be perished and possible you are still drawing hot air from the above the exhaust manifolds due to another Heath Robinson set up of sensors and flaps. There is good sense in scrapping the complete emissions package that UK S3's had as its rubbish.
Modern petrol also has played it's part in excessive heat and you may do well at some time to fit high flow radiator and multi blade fans and a complete go through of the complete cooling system.
I will in the near future do a write up on how I have battled with the heat issue on my V12 in my many years of ownership .
Adam
S3 V12 E Type FHC Manual 1972-owned since 1978

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
SKU3410
Great Britain

#11 Re: Misfire/Backfire/Low Power Issues

Post by SKU3410 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Finally got out on a long run after fitting brand new distributor cap. Went really well. The old cap didn't have a gasket which may not have helped and the old one contacts were corroded. Thanks again for your help.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic