888330 : restoration of a 63 FHC

Members cars waiting to be restored, being restored or fully restored.

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

Re: 888330 : restoration of a 63 FHC

Postby dal2.0litrefrogeye » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:14 pm

A nice creamy white .... red ones used to be the fastest but that's soooooo last year !! Yup whites the new black :dance: :bigrin:
Its a way of life not a hobby

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

Postby Nickleback » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:44 pm

dal2.0litrefrogeye wrote:A nice creamy white .... Yup whites are the new black

Can't say that better myself :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

Postby Mark Gordon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:11 pm

I never cared for white cars until I got one! :lol:
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2002 VDP

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

Postby 265bhp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 am

Me being me, before the body went off to Barry I also had to clean up the quality of Jaguar parts to remove sharp edges, finish off corners and clean up welded edges...the kind of attention to detail that takes time....costs money and not part of the original principle of building to a price

petrol filler neck before

and after.....

All of which meant the garage at home was now completely full...of Porsche and Jaguar plus my study full of completed sub-assemblies......

So the week before Xmas I took the E over to Barry's, more to create valuable space at home as Barry wasn't ready to start my car but I wanted to use the Christmas break to start pulling the engine apart...and for that I needed a lot more storage space and a clear workshop........

Estimated total weight of the engine is in the region of 300-350 kg.....so firstly I removed the head..probably saving around 40/50 kg (?)....must find the scales in the kitchen this weekend to verify.....

Next challenge was how to get it from a low trolley to an engine stand....without an engine crane.....

Simple really...2 trolley jacks...a selection of concrete blocks and 3 blokes.......plus 4 no. grade 12 steel. 7/16 bolts....done up to FT standard....

Although I know it would take the load for the first few days I had to leave the blocks under the engine...it just felt better.....

She is certainly a big old beast...this is what 3.8 litres looks like English style....

in fact its all big....and heavy

distributor drive and oil throw at the end of the crank

even the oil pump is big.....

and this is the contents of the head

head studs were not easy...I had to use a 60cm length of tubing over the ring spanner even after 2 weeks soaking with plus gas....12 worked using the double nut technique. but 2 stripped their threads so I had to weld a nut to the stud....all out in the end

so off to the machine shop in 10 days for cleaning and measuring

the pistons are the original ones so I am fairly sure this is the first time she has been apart....I really don't know what I am looing for regarding wear on the bearings but they all look pretty smooth, certainly no pitting, so I am hopeful it is just a case of some gentle polishing and honing....we will see

once I know the extend of any remedial work I can order the new pistons and bearings to whatever size is needed, plus all the other parts to get her re-built

I'll update with the parts list once I hear back from the machine shop......

all for now
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC in slow restoration mode

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

Postby 265bhp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 am

morning all

its been a while but there is now some proper progress....

I picked up my refurbished differential 2 months ago

needed 2 new clutch plates as one was badly scored, whilst the other was split..!...it now has new oil seals, and is fully serviced and reconditioned...I had gone to the trouble of stripping and painting with the correct red lead primer colour just as they came out of the factory....

good news was everything else was in good condition, and was in the opinion of the restorer (Alan Slawson of AJS Engineering in Essex) from a car that had seen little use and then stood for many years....all of which is good as it substantiates the mileage and provenance of the car which has 32,000 miles on the tacho....

second thing is a more recent ebay purchase...

my car came to me with an incorrect model of distributer...and also a wrong year...1972

the early distributers, model DMBZ6A 40640D ran to early / mid 1963, so that was what I had to have.....this was a great find though as its date stamped 1/63, which makes it perfect for a car built 3/63....result....very happy with that...and the further bonus that it is from a car that did 40,000 miles...almost perfectly matched...!

and then 2 weeks ago I went to collect the engine components, a mixture of partially assembled and those to be completed by me

Block was chemically cleaned prior to a rebore of +20 thou

Head was cleaned and had some aluminium welding to reinstate the apertures for the water passages, then bead blasted and ultimately skimmed by 6 thou

Imagev

sump was vapour blasted so i just added new studs to accept the inner tray and filter

Valve guides lined with K Line inserts, new valves throughout plus new springs, followers and re-built for me with the correct 4 and 6 thou clearances.

Whilst I had initially thought of re-building the head the shimming process is not straight forward and I thought was best left to Mike at SRS in Sutton to complete

Camshafts needed only a light polish so standard spec new bearings were able to be used

Crankshaft needed all 6 core plugs to be drilled out prior to chemical and blasting to clean out the old oilways, again just a light polish to the bearing surfaces which has kept it within original spec dimensions for new standard size bearings to be used

Clutch has been uprated to the later 4.2 litre type so the flywheel was both skimmed to clean it up and drilled to accept the new pins and bolts which are spaced differently

The crankshaft, crankshaft damper, clutch and flywheel were all balanced as an assembly and the new Mahle pistons and original con rods checked and machined to ensure no more than a 0.1mm gram difference between components

Piston skirt clearance was to modern Mahle tolerances, of 0.1mm and the piston ring clearance checked and machined to within the original workshop manual 0.38-0.51mm tolerance range...most were around 0.4 to 0.43 in the end

So….looing at the machining to achieve the balancing of components somewhat better overall than original specification...will it make a difference I have no idea, but its satisfying none the less

Jaguar painted the valley sections of their twin cam heads different colours over the years, with the early E Types being a pumpkin shade of orange, but the later 3.8 were painted gold.

Delivered to me in natural aluminium......and then spray painted....

Lovely isn’t it…..with odd details revealed once cleaned...like the JAG foundry
stamping

The contrast between polished, milled and blasted finish with original bolts and copper washers all cleaned and polished....and temporary use of the old chrome dome nuts to locate the cam covers...to keep the internals protected

Now assembled and protected …..note the oil filler cap not aligned…fibre washers need a final adjustment in thickness to resolve that

Similar cost saving measures were adopted for the blocks and in truth my car should have a red lead primer colour for the block as the top coat of black was omitted from late 1962, but black is what it should have had if it were not for the pursuit of “building to a price”...

This is it as it should have been and will now remain.... after the first coat of black enamel paint

I had also completed the re-assembly of the Moss gearbox

Internals were inspected for wear, which apart from minor marks on the (non-synchro) first gear teeth all looked good, so with new gaskets and a thorough clean and a fresh coat of primer and black paint assembly was straight forward

The gear knob was missing from my car but I managed to source a couple of originals to choose from, this has a small amount of patina and looks the part….certainly superior to the reproduction items which are simply incorrect….

The original bell housing had been repaired by welding in new metal and after I spent quite a few hours grinding/filing and wet + dry finishing the case any evidence of earlier damage is minimal

and completing the restoration of various brackets....with correctly (for me) aligned fixings...

So, bringing this up to real time again, this week has seen me installing the crankshaft oil seal (rope), which after an initial failed attempt, a second and better rope seal was sourced and we have success….whether it will eventually leak is another matter…..

Both cam e from SNG, the white one was simply too large a cross section, and I ended up ripping it as I tried to compress it.... but the second....a silvery grey finish, part number EBC1705* was almost a delight to fit....

This weekend I installed the crankshaft ....with plenty of Graphogen ...having checked the clearances with the plastigauge kit.....

and started to assemble the pistons….happy with progress so far....am working through this assembly very slowly as engine building is all completely new to me

....more next week….

regards
Jonathan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

Postby Simonpfhc » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Lovely job Jonathan, great work :salute:
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
92 Porsche 928GT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

Postby 265bhp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:11 pm

I have certainly learnt a lot more about engines in the last couple of weeks…and more than anything the concept of repeatedly checking that fixings are tight and torqued up, and items installed the right way round…which to be honest I had to re-do twice

Getting the knack of the piston ring compressor tool took a while and multiple attempts to get them to pop into the bores….the lower oil ring is close to the point where the piston reduces in diameter so holding it, whilst stopping the rings from rotating around (they are all at 90 degrees to one another with 2 oil rings and 2 compression rings) whilst all lightly lubed up is a slippery business..and making sure they all faced the right way round

The rear oil seal, which I mentioned I the last post to the crank was a pain as the first seal (white) was simply too fat…it ripped using the correct tool….second one (grey) I ordered was a different material specification and fitted easily….

Not the first nor last time a new part doesn’t fit correctly…..

New oil pump has been fitted….a later pump design for the 4.2 series cars with a bigger capacity, and the original oil filter housing cleaned and reassembled...note the machined look of some of the casting which is my filing and hand sanding flat with set and dry to get a cleaner overall profile......note bolt heads tightened in a radial symmetry...I have a thing about these things...and with torque settings not being specified a degree of artistic licence is permissible....

The two double timing chains are held within a multi part cast aluminium housing which needed a full cleaning, all sprockets were changed as well as new

Tensioning on the chain is by a single spring loaded mechanism on the main chain and an eccentric sprocket on the upper chains

All installed and time for the front timing chain cover

new (modern) oil seal

then water pump and fan belt spring tensioner

and a new set of head studs...note the black one is the larger locating dowel stud...(another re-use of old parts as the new one is too large a diameter and simply didn't fit in the recess in the block...!

last image is off the top timing chains, as they sit waiting for the head and paired sprockets on the camshafts....and the silver bolt with multiple washers is a temporary bolt..I have mislaid the original GNK bolt and as I am fastidiously keeping all original fixings I am on the hunt for an original GKN headed bolt....5/16 diameter UNF thread 1 3/4"...not so easy to find....and they aren't made anymore....

I forgot to order an O ring for the new oil pump so the sump is sitting waiting to be reunited next weekend....at which time I think I will take the block off the engine stand and complete assembly as it sits on the trolley..as its getting damn heavy.....but I haven't figured out how to do that last manoeuvre....!...

more in a week or so

thanks for looking
J

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Postby mgcjag » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Great photos.....comming on nice..... Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdaubs
United States of America

Postby cdaubs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:35 am

Looks great! Keep plodding along one bolt at a time and it will be running again in no time.
Charlie Daubs
'64 FHC #890093

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

Postby 265bhp » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:37 pm

I daresay installing the sump was and will remain about the easiest component on the car....prior to having it vapour blasted I sanded and filed the outer case to remove unwanted casting marks so it was arguably in better condition than the day it was first installed...and for good measure I sprayed it with a 2K clear lacquer which will keep it presentable for quite some time

the 2 main seals and either end o the crank were a god snug fit, and meant I had to gradually tighten the 26 bolts and 4 studs sequentially to draw it down smoothly onto the block......fingers crossed for a successful seal once I start her up in a year or so

this then allowed the further assembly of the crankshaft damper, which I had already had balanced, the aluminium fan belt pulley (which is detailed on the inner faces with the same gold paint used on the head) and the spring loaded fan belt tensioner

this then left me with a dilemma, which was how to now proceed....to take the engine of the stand before or after I installed the head....and in both cases how to do that......

the head had needed some remedial work....as is often the case the waterway passages were corroded, so SRS had them welded and ground back to form clean flat mating surfaces

I do love these old machine parts with their abundance of codes and serial numbers....I daresay these should tell me the date of manufacture for the head....?....just what is the "27" and the "5" referring to...?

I decided to install the head and then lift the entire engine off the stand....but at this point I also supported the cantilevered end of the engine on concrete blocks..cue assistant (son) as it was best with 2 pairs of hands...

I don't have any photos of this part, as I was so nervous about the block sitting up in the air only relying on gravity to stop it toppling off the blocks....suffice it to say we were both pretty relieved once it was lowered on to a bespoke timber trolley I had made up

Nathaniel is 1.9m tall....so this gives you some idea of how big this engine is......

clutch and gearbox next.......

regards
Jonathan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

Postby dal2.0litrefrogeye » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:46 am

Looking good :salute:
Its a way of life not a hobby

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

Postby 265bhp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Installing the head also allowed me to make a small adjustment to the oil filer cap, which was in an earlier post....

the cap typically tightens against a single fibre washer, but worked slightly better with 2 washers, each of which I sanded a fraction.....rather than just taking all the thickness out of one and leaving it to thin.....trial end error....

until I achieved the required correct alignment...

I rather like the original red paint within the jaguar script...rather than remove and repaint.....

Jonathan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

Postby Simon P » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm

That's the sort of attention to detail we like. I thought it was just me! :bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

Postby Polse7317 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Wonderful engine, :yellow: may be i should fit the spark plugs .... who knows what can happen? :policeblue:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

Postby 265bhp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi Yves

I subsequently put masking tape over the spark plug holes....I know I have the old set somewhere in the garage...I just need to find them... :bigrin:

Hi Simon
I like all these small details...perhaps my obsession with lining screws and bolts up causes some to roll their eyes...but it's all part of the attention to detail in my book.. :bouncyyellow:

Regards
Jonathan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

Postby 265bhp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:04 pm

.....and the last post for this week sees the gearbox now part of the engine assembly....

This first shot was lovely to do as it confirms the flywheel is the original component....certainly in the early days engine numbers were stamped onto the flywheel, as they were balanced back in the day....the capital letter B which you can see in the picture to the left of the engine number RA 1309 was meant to be set uppermost i.e. on top vertically when the number 1/6 pistons were at TDC

and although this will never be seen I deceided to clean and paint the outer face of the flywheel....

SRS had skimmed the front face of the flywheel which was dirty and scarred from use....but then as part of the overall balancing process had the flywheel and clutch cover balanced as a unit along with the crankshaft....so it was a simple matter for me to align the group of 3 dots between crank and flywheel and then between flywheel and clutch cover

You can see the 3 marks in the first picture

and then see areas where the balancing removed excess weight off the flywheel

and then removed areas of the clutch cover plate

I deceided to make my own clutch alignment tool....which actually turned out to be pretty straightforward, using a tommy bar from the tool kit, one of the large sleeves from the rear suspension assembly asnd a rol of gaffer tape.(the Nikon lens cap is purely to give a scale comparison)......it sounds a bit Blue Peter but is actually able to be fine tuned to be the exact sizes I needed

alignment was assisted with using the engine hoist to take the weight....the Moss box may be small....but like everything else jaguar it is surprisingly dense...!

and finally after 5 attempts, including one version where I took it apart and loosened the clutch cover plate.....and then another where I took it all apart and tried it again....I achieved success

looks like it should be at home in a Spitfire... 8)

next project is the rear suspension......

thanks for looking
Jonathan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

Postby Simonpfhc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:29 pm

So my beautiful handmade engine trolley not good enough for you anymore then...........charming!

Great progress Jonathan, well done :salute:

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
92 Porsche 928GT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author