Restoration 3.8 OTS - 878222 Black Pearl

Members cars waiting to be restored, being restored or fully restored.

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Re: Restoration 3.8 OTS - 878222 Black Pearl

Postby Heuer » Sun May 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Speak to Angus. He has someone who trims MX5 seats on customer demand.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Pin your E-Type to our World Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=184509

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

Postby ralphr1780 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:31 pm

The MX5 seats are great in comfort + quality + back reclining positions, but sit too high :seeingstars:
While for the passenger it might not yet appear to be a major issue, getting in and out for the driver is pretty difficult even with the steering wheel positioned as high towards the dashboard as possible.
Compared with the S2 seats, almost 6 cm higher towards the steering wheel.
I have not yet fitted the soft top to check for head clearance, but tested with the hardtop and my head is already annoyingly wiping the canvas :banghead:
So have to change the protruding frame bolts to countersunk ones to gain few mm, and also look at foamectomy.
Which route others who have fitted the MX5 seats did follow?
Pics to illustrate the distance between steering wheel and seat with S2 and MX5:
May 2017 (15)Red.jpg
May 2017 (15)Red.jpg (90.71 KiB) Viewed 833 times

May 2017 (16)Red.jpg
May 2017 (16)Red.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Last edited by ralphr1780 on Mon May 29, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Postby Heuer » Sun May 28, 2017 8:56 pm

You can cut the seat cushions down using a bread knife. Check out the Upgrades Forum for more info. No doubt Angus can advise.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Pin your E-Type to our World Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=184509

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

Postby chrisfell » Sun May 28, 2017 9:41 pm

I'm blessed with a 2+2 which solves the headroom issue and skinny legs which solves the steering wheel clearance issue. If I was taller or had fat legs I'd have kept the original seats.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

Postby ralphr1780 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Seats out again for surgery.
Pics before and after of passenger seat, almost 4 cm lower on the console side and little more on the center and the front:

Happy of the result, now on to the driver seat! :bigrin:
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

Postby ralphr1780 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Summer has gone by and I could not find any time slot to make progress on the car.
But now time has come to resume and next job is the hood mechanism: sanding / painting / fitting.
To gain back momentum, back in the driver seat ignition on and pushed the start button. The engine
started right away and idled smoothly with the choke on the first fast idle position. I let it warm up until the cooling fan kicked on. To my surprise, it obviously rotates CCW (as seen from drivers side) and pushes air through the radiator. It did cycle and turn off after few minutes then on again, the gauge was reading normal. Guessing that in early years Jaguar engineers considered that the fan would only cycle when the car is static, and that when cruising the natural air flow would cool the radiator.
Hence my question to the S1 experts: should I already reverse the original motor rotation to CW to have the fan sucking and drive the car? Or already look for another more powerful fan, kenlowe style or similar?

On another note, while I was pleased to see the engine running smooth, the bad surprise was that the new windshield has a crack along its whole width just in the middle :evil: :evil: :evil: .
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david muir
Great Britain

Postby david muir » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Ralph,It should be sucking through the radiator.
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

Postby chrisfell » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:25 pm

david muir wrote:Ralph,It should be sucking through the radiator.

While it matters not one jot which direction air passes thtough a radiator when the car is stationary, it matters a great deal when on the road, as I found out to my cost when retrieving my car from being serviced and fettled by the E-Type Centre in 2003. They had wired the fan the wrong way round and not checked their work. In slow moving traffic forward movement of the car negated the blowing fan resulting in overheating. I stopped at the most convenient lay-by and watched as most of the content of the cooling system spewed onto the tarmac. I was not best pleased.

Simply swapping the appropriate wires on the relay solved the issue, and with a refilled radiator I continued my journey
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

Postby ralphr1780 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks for replies.
Based on grasped info the early version of the fan was a CCW pushing. Later ones were CW sucking. Inverting supply wiring will not help on these motors they rotate in only one direction, internal wiring should be inverted. I have a spare from an S2 which rotates CW that I will fit instead.
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

Postby ralphr1780 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am

Given the struggle it had been to fit the windshield, I knew it was initially seated under tension that the rubber might take, and did not expect it to crack few month later when resting peacefully in the garage:

I do have a new spare windshield laying on the shelf, but unfortunately non-tinted!
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

Postby ralphr1780 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:29 am

The new Triplex tinted windscreen arrived from SNG, with a new seal too, on for a new episode…
A struggle and it wouldn’t fit: the moment I pushed it down in the seal on one side, it would protrude on the other, as if it was sitting high in the center. Started getting all kinds of horrible ideas, such as twisted bulkhead…the helpers lost patience and left me alone. Pulled the seal out again and examined closely the body lip: from the bonnet side all along it looked smooth and bright, but from the dashboard side I could feel an additional thickness obviously made of layers of paint and filler. Had the painter been too generous? With a fine blade, scraped it all along:

Part of the debris:

With a thin brush, applied two paint layers, next morning decided to give it a go, alone, and miracle in only few minutes! Even the lower chrome strip was a piece of cake: :dance:

The final result: :bouncyyellow:

Crazy what a little excess of paint and filler can do when spread in the wrong place. It did cost me a lot: windscreen + seal + scratches to the paint despite all protection + too many hours... :banghead:

Now on to the next stage with a smile: hood fitting for Christmas. :santa:
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

Postby ralphr1780 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:20 am

The original grey colour of the hood frame is definitely not to my liking, the PO had put a nice black satin coat on top and I decided to refresh that one.After few adjustments, the frame did fit quite well on both door windows glass:

And pleasantly well "over" the windscreen chrome (=the one you do not see anymore :salute: ):

Canopy trimming:

The latches will need rechroming, also the hardtop ones, meanwhile will just clean and polish as good as possible. Next comes the canvas... :dance:
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Restoration Stories and Owners Gallery”