5 speed options

For the enthusiast upgrading their E-Type

mph

Re: 5 speed options

Postby mph » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:13 am

For what it's worth I've had several 5 speed boxes fitted to various Jaguars over the years.

Far and away the best have been those from JT5. I've had them in a V12 and S1 E Type and currently have one in an XK140. All three were supplied via CMC some years ago.

They all fitted straight in and I haven't had a single issue. Unfortunately JT5 won't supply to the U.K which is a shame.

I can understand the owner of JT5 being reluctant to supply to the UK given the way he was treated by his UK agent, and I smile at the response he's given, even on this forum, by well-meaning if ill-informed enthusiasts. I wish he'd appoint a reliable UK agent as I think there's a strong potential market for his product.

I'm aware of several recent problems with boxes supplied by Elite and so when I needed a five-speed last year I went to Guy Broad. The box was awkward to fit and the change quality is inferior to the JT5, although perfectly adequate.

I've also had a box from E Type Fabs which suffered from an oil leak from the rear seal, as did a colleagues. I understand this issue has now been addressed and I wouldn't hesitate to use an E Type Fabs box again.

In fact they're probably the only realistic option currently available as far as I know.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FHC1964
France

Postby FHC1964 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:59 am

Hi All,

Anyone actually got one of those Quaife 5 speed boxes? I've sent a couple of e-mails to New Forest but without any replies..Really interested in purchasing a good plug and play 5 speed

Thanks

Mark
1964 FHC 890632

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Quattrofrank
Norway

Postby Quattrofrank » Sun May 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Anyone? Have not yet received any replys from New Forest

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

Postby Barry » Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 pm

It seems that the Quaife gearbox for New Forest Classics is still going through its development phase. I understand NFC will not release them until they are completely happy. The other Quaife gearbox commissioned by Eagle, is of a different design altogether, and has no problems. However, Eagle will only sell to their own customers who have bought a car from them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

Postby Paul Buckley » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:43 pm

:bigrin:
Paul Buckley wrote:Interesting to read what is said about Elite! I ordered a new box from them and was told I had to wait six weeks for delivery from the States. A week later they told me that they had 'found one in the back of the store room' which they didn't know they had, and persuaded me to have it. It has turned out to be extremely noisy but Elite are ignoring all my correspondence on the subject, even though Mark Bloor (MD) had a ride in my car and agreed that it wasn't right. I have told them in writing that I require a replacement only to be totally ignored. I advise all persons to steer clear of Elite, Rob Swift who runs Elite, and Mark Bloor, the MD of the parent company, Beagle Engineering.

Well, my saga with Elite and their Tremec T5 box has been resolved, thanks to MD Mark Bloor.
He asked me to take my S3 to M&W Wilkinson in Yorkshire where they removed the engine, fitted a new box, prop shaft and clutch plate, all supplied by Elite, and refitted the engine, all the cost being absorbed by Beagle/Elite!
I am delighted with the result, the new gearbox is a vast improvement and has restored my confidence in both the car and Beagle Engineering.
Mark Bloor is MD and owner of Beagle Engineering, a very impressive, large, engineering shop in Stoke on Trent, but he has engineering in his blood and is 'hands on', spending most of his time on the shop floor, not in an office, leaving someone else (Rob Swift) to run Elite. That was a mistake and now that Swift is no longer with the company, Mark has reorganised his role to be more in tune with his customers.
Under the circumstances I therefore retract my advice to steer clear of Beagle/Elite, they have fulfilled their obligations to me and I know it has cost them a lot of money to do so, an excellent result for me and a valuable lesson for Beagle.
Paul

1972 S3 OTS, 32k mls, a survivor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

Postby mark10337 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Mark has always been helpful to me also and send me a replacement immediately under guarantee when it was necessary.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Postby PeterCrespin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Two gearboxes, good service, no complaints.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 79 S2 XJ12L; 97 XJ6L

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

Postby Paul Buckley » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:33 pm

PeterCrespin wrote:Two gearboxes, good service, no complaints.

I agree Peter. But Mark went a lot more with me, he not only replaced the gearbox but he absorbed the labour cost of doing so, as well.
I was truly shafted by Rob Swift from day one, and Mark recognised that.
Well done, that man ..... :yellow: :wavegreatbritain:
Paul

1972 S3 OTS, 32k mls, a survivor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

Postby Hugo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:38 am

I have just read all eight pages of this thread, as I am at the stage where I have to start thinking about this, and I have to say I am just as confused as I was before I began :?: Everybody seems to have a different view on the subject! I am fairly confident Jaguar would have fitted an o/d box if they could have squeezed it in. The standard Laycock overdrive in remote format is just too fat to fit in the tunnel (uness I put the handbrake somewhere else). My car is in a million bits right now so I have a clean sheet of paper to work from. But it's a US import with a 3.54 diff, and the frustrating part is that the back end is the only part of the car that has already been restored, so I have no need to touch it. But if I'm keeping the 3.54 diff I will really need another gear. I think I'll wait for more news on the Quaife & see how that turns out.
I also have a slightly off-the-wall idea - I have a 1960 Chevrolet Impala over in Florida with a 3 speed manual box. They also fitted an overdrive to that box - very clever thing that kicked in automatically when it reached a certain road speed, and a kick-down facility to drop out when you floored the throttle. I have picked up one of these overdrives on eBay, and it looks like it might just be possible to squeeze it in the tunnel of the E Type behind the crossmember. How to connect it to the gearbox is another matter of course.
So the options are 1) wait for Quaife; 2) try out my crazy overdrive idea, or 3) keep the 4 speed and change the diff. Decisions, decisions!
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

garrycol
Australia

Postby garrycol » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:36 am

I thought an O/d would only fit in long wheel base models - eg series 3 and 2+2 6 cylinders. I see you have a series 2 OTS so if my understanding is correct an O/d will not fit your vehicle.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

Postby angelw » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 am

Hello Garry,
In practical terms you're correct, but anything can be made fit if you like to start chopping.

The Laycock de Normanville Electric Overdrive will fit a long wheelbase E Type with Zero modification to the car. Its the same length as the Gearbox extension; accordingly, not even the Tail Shaft has to be modified.

If you already have a manual transmission and only want to fit the Overdrive Unit, you have to replace the standard gearbox main shaft with one that is compatible with the Overdrive Unit. These are very hard to come by and therefore, finding a complete XJ6 Gearbox and Overdrive is the way to go. The XJ6 gearbox has all the modifications that were made in late S3 cars to stop the gearbox jumping out of forward gear at speed.

If you obtain an XJ6 assembly and your car has the original manual gearbox, then you only need to swap the top cover of the gearbox to have the gear lever in the correct position. The position of the gear lever of an XJ6 is further towards the back than the E Type.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

Postby Hugo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 am

I don't want to start chopping, as it's a convertible. I was entertaining the Toyota Supra conversion till someone on here (sorry I can't remember who!) wisely talked me out of it after explaining the amount of hacking to the centre cross-member that would be required.
I was thinking of a remote Laycock unit, sitting behind the crossmember, so no adaptor needed. As there is next to no movement between the gearbox and the diff I can get away with a prop-shaft that is just a few inches long. I actually built myself one of these remote units out of bits some years ago but never used it. I was intending to fit it to the Morris Minor pick-up I have in Florida. Now I find you can actually buy remote units quite cheaply so i could have saved myself the bother!
But the Laycock unit is fractionally too fat to fit in the tunnel. The American BW unit, contrary to normal expectations, might be less obese.
Can you clarify this - "The XJ6 gearbox has all the modifications that were made in late S3 cars to stop the gearbox jumping out of forward gear at speed. "? Do you mean the gear knob has enough mass to fly forward and knock it out of gear when you hit the brakes? The gear knob I have in my car feels like it's made of lead!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

Postby Series1 Stu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Hugo

You don't need to replace the entire diff unit, just the crown wheel and pinion. The time and money spent on the diff rebuild is not entirely wasted.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Work In (slow) Progress

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

Postby Hugo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Yes - the trouble is it all seems to have been done by the previous owner already! Everything is all nicely painted and looks as though it's been overhauled. If I am going to go that route with the original 4 speed, that can be another job for another day of course. Right now I'm thinking about re-fitting the engine and gearbox, and that's a job I would prefer to do only once. So I'm focussed on gearboxes at the moment. Once I make a decision on the gearbox, that will dictate the choice of diff ratio.
Just about to pull the engine to bits now, but at least I have a plan of action for that!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

Postby ralphr1780 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 am

Hugo, my IRS was also nicely painted by the PO and looked great, but nothing had been overhauled...
With the IRS on the floor, crown and pinion swap is just a few hours of relaxed job.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

Postby angelw » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 am

Hugo Wrote: Can you clarify this - "The XJ6 gearbox has all the modifications that were made in late S3 cars to stop the gearbox jumping out of forward gear at speed. "? Do you mean the gear knob has enough mass to fly forward and knock it out of gear when you hit the brakes? The gear knob I have in my car feels like it's made of lead!

Hello Hugo,
In October 1973 a revised Synchromesh Operating Sleeve was introduced to prevent cars jumping out of forward gears. S3 E -Types and late production S1 XJ6 onward had this revision.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

Postby Hugo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am

Hmmm. Difficult to know, isn't it. Not a problem, as the diff can be another job for another day - but I need to decide on the gearbox before I can fit the engine - that's what is exercising my mind right now.
if I were a betting man I would say the IRS has all been done. The previous owner seems to have started at the back and worked forward - it has a new fuel tank for example, and everything in the boot looks nice, as does the rear subframe etc. Unfortunately I was unable to drive it even one inch becuse the clutch was slipping so badly so I can't be sure.
Incidentally the P.O. was a Mister Mistr from N Carolina. Ernest Mistr I think it was. Not a common name. I found a Mr Mistr on Facebook and messaged him to see if he was 'the one', but no reply. I probably have his address on the title - the sensible thing to do would be to write to him (remember that?) and ask him the story.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Quattrofrank
Norway

Postby Quattrofrank » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 am

Barry wrote:New Forest Classic are really pleased to have finally got the Quaife 5 speed box available after so many problems with other suppliers, including and especially Elite, who are currently ignoring any warranty claims and don't understand their legal obligations. I have posted here before about my own problems. If Quaife can produce a reliable unit, they will have a success on their hands. NFC were indicating a price perhaps below £6000. We will see, but the prospects are exciting indeed.

Anyone know if there is possible to purchase this box now or is it still in testing?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

Postby Barry » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Contact Daniel Smith at New Forest Classic he will give you the latest information.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “E-Type Upgrades”