LED Instrument Lights Done Right

For the enthusiast upgrading their E-Type

Topic author
RayLivingston
United States of America

Re: LED Instrument Lights Done Right

Postby RayLivingston » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 am

Here is the remote control I'm using, and a brief description of how configuration, using the remote control, works. Since I'm using an off-the-shelf remote, some of the button labels are not particularly helpful...

Here's an introduction to the remote control operation:

To enable "configuration mode", press the Red Power button on the remote control. In configuration mode, the settings for each gauge are configured one gauge at a time. The currently selected gauge is indicated by flashing in White when selected.

All configuration options are "demo'd" on the guages as soon as the remote command is accepted.

The speedo lights will flash White to indicate the currently selected gauge. When configuration mode is first enabled, the speedo is always the first gauge selected. The other buttons perform the following functions:

Color+/Color- scrolls forward/backward through the available color selections. There are 3 "global" colors settings, one for each panel light "mode" (Off, "Flicker", "Dim"), as selected by the dash "Panel Light" switch. In each lighting mode, all gauges are lighted the same color.

Bright+/Bright- Increase or decrease brightness for the currently selected gauge. Each gauge has 3 brightness settings, one for each panel light "mode" . This allows gauge lighting to be equalized across all gauges.

Speed+/Speed- scrolls forward/backward through the available power-up "animation" selections. There is a single "global" power-up animation setting that is applied to all gauges, and all panel lighting modes.

Mode+/Mode- scrolls forward/backward through the available "alert animation" selections. There is a single "global" alert animation setting that is applied to all gauges and all panel lighting modes.

Demo saves the current configuration to non-volatile memory, then selects the next gauge for configuration.

Pressing power when in configuration mode exits configuration mode, as indicated by the gauges going briefly dark, then performing the power-on animation, if any.
Regards,
Ray L.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

Postby mark10337 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:33 am

Great progress Ray. Is it an IR remote or another frequency? What microcontroller have you used? Atmel based or some off the shelf Arduino/Rasperry Pi type board? It's really starting to come along. Have you thought about the connections on the back of the dials? reuse of the bulb sockets?
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RayLivingston
United States of America

Postby RayLivingston » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:07 pm

The remote is RF, not IR. The Micro will be an AVR, most likely an Arduino ProMini. The bulb sockets, in fact the entire instrument lighting harness, will be disconnected. Each gauge will have a small 3-wire cable that will go in through one of the bulb socket holes.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

Postby mark10337 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:06 pm

I was looking for some type of connector that would into the bulb socket hole. Closest I found was a S-Video mini din plug and socket, that were a bit cumbersome.
Ended up using some of the JST-SM connectors, one in, one out as they are wired in series. Not very easy to mount though. Perhaps someone cleverer than me on here might have a suggestion how it could be done. 3.5mm jack and socket can have 3 connections.
-Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Postby Heuer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:12 pm

USB C sockets and leads?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Pin your E-Type to our World Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=184509

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

Postby mark10337 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:20 pm

I was thinking of something that could possibly fit into the bulb holder socket. Would need securing at both ends though for insertion/withdrawing forces.
-Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RayLivingston
United States of America

Postby RayLivingston » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:58 pm

With my lights, each gauge will have a single, small, 3-wire "pigtail" terminated in a small locking, polarized connector that will plug directly into mating connectors in the controller module. The connectors pass easily through the bulb openings in the gauges. The LEDs will be mounted on custom flex circuits glued to the inside of the cans of the large gauges, and the back of the faceplates of the small gauges.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Turnip
Great Britain

Postby Turnip » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 pm

That's a cracking project you've found for yourself there Ray.
Out of interest, what voltage works well for the 'flicker' setting? I've already stuffed a load of LEDs into my instruments, but just use the standard switch for turning them on. I wondered if adding an extra resistor to the 'dim' output might result in a more effective low-light display.

Thanks,
Simon
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RayLivingston
United States of America

Postby RayLivingston » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Turnip wrote:That's a cracking project you've found for yourself there Ray.
Out of interest, what voltage works well for the 'flicker' setting? I've already stuffed a load of LEDs into my instruments, but just use the standard switch for turning them on. I wondered if adding an extra resistor to the 'dim' output might result in a more effective low-light display.

Thanks,
Simon

You can't really dim standard LEDs with the standard switch. The resistor is built into the switch, and is only on the order of 10 ohms, which might as well be 0 ohms as far as the LEDs are concerned. MY system drives the LEDs with a PWM, so is not dependent on the resistor for dimming.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Turnip
Great Britain

Postby Turnip » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:02 pm

Sorry, I went into simple minded mode. I forgot that it's just a single output from the light switch, not one for each lighting level.

Simon
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RayLivingston
United States of America

Postby RayLivingston » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:33 pm

And..... I've now sorted out the last little bit of feature-itis: Gauge calibration. Rather than making the electronics calibrate to the (possibly incorrect) behavior of the gauges (with the possible exception of the tach), the kit will include gauge calibration hardware and firmware in the controller, and the little tool necessary to adjust the gauge calibration adjusters. For lazy people, they could just connect up the controller and go, without touching the gauge calibration. For the perfectionists, they could calibrate each gauge in the process of adding the LED lights, and know they're getting the best possible readings from their instruments.

A question - To me, an accurate tachometer is one of the most important things to have. Witness Jerry Moutons blown engine, due to a tach reading substantially low. The best way to achieve this is to disconnect the internal electronics (a simple matter of disconnecting a single wire), and control the gauge movement directly. I am tempted to make that a requirement for using the tach feature of this kit. It has two distinct advantages:

1) Highest possible accuracy and reliability
2) Allows use of only a single type of tach input - a coil - input (this does mean adding a single wire running from the lighting controller to the ignition coil, or, an inductive input, similar to that used by the S2 tach (this could be connected inside the fusebox, without having to run an extra wire, and would work with virtually ANY ignition system).

Similarly, replacing the stock temperature and oil pressure senders with modern solid state units would greatly improve both accuracy and reliability of those gauges, at a small-ish cost - about $40-50 for the senders, plumbing adaptor fittings, and a small added wiring harness (these senders require 3-wires).

Thoughts?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

S3FHC71
Australia

Postby S3FHC71 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Ray,
I thank you for your wisdom.
I am currently in the midst of resto of S3 RHD FHC 1971 in Sunny Melbourne Australia
I have decided to totally rewire as the opportunity is there
On deep thought, the concept of LED for entire dash entered my mind, & I found myself here
Is anyone aware of an " off the shelf" enhancement kit for LED that would help us piece this together
Any suggestions welcome
As a bytheway, am also looking for a S3 speedo cable for original gearbox...happy for new cable that is built to specs
Thanks,
Michael

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Maikel
Germany

Postby Maikel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 am

Ray,

anything planned to build and offer a complete LED set for S1 conversion?

Many thanks
Maikel
Maikel Lemke
1E77010BW
1E34052

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “E-Type Upgrades”