Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Bobb
Eritrea

#1 Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Post by Bobb » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Installing a pre-oiler has been a dream of mine for the 41 years I've owned my baby. After reading the forums of a diesel enthusiast's site, I ordered a Flojet 2100 agricultural pump ( http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/fldepu21260p.html ). These folks plumb them into their oil systems with great success. The advantage over the other pre-oiler offerings is that it can't lose pressure over the l-o-o-o-o-ng and c-c-c-cold Canadian winter, it weighs less and costs less. My intention is to use a 'T' from the oil return line for supply and pump it into one of the oil gallery holes on the side of the block. I intend on installing a simple mesh filter before the pump and a one way valve at the outlet of the pump.
I invite comments (or raspberries). My only question is whether this will interfere with normal oil flow when the engine is running. I don't see how since the supply side (the oil return line) is unpressurized.
Thanks folks.
By the way, I was a longtime member of the American Jag-Lovers forum but drifted over here when I discovered that you folks are much more 'techy'. As a 41 year veteran of the RCAF :salute: (I was an aircraft tech) I really like that.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Post by Gfhug » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 am

Bobb, it's interesting to hear this concept on a car engine having only come across them in old aero-engines. Infrequently run Merlins certainly benefit from pre-oiling, though it would take two minutes to get oil to all the galleries.

Not questioning your proposal, but whenever I've taken the cam covers off the cam lobes always seem to have a film of oil on them. Is there something about operating in cold winters (do you drive much in the cold?) to need pre-oiling? I presume you have a sump heater?

I'll be pleased to hear how you get on.

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#3 Re: Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Post by mark10337 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:22 am

I've always wondered where the Sump heater plugs in.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bobb
Eritrea

#4 Re: Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Post by Bobb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:59 pm

I cut my teeth as a tech on the Argus (Canadian version of the Brittania, used for long range Maritime patrol). While we didn't pre-oil, we would dilute some oil with avgas prior to start below a certain temperature. One person would be on a headset with the flight engineer and would count the engine rotations as the FE primed the engine and injected the diluted oil. After so many rotations he'd flip on the magnetos and "Cough, blam, choke, wheez and kapow!", it would start belching smoke for a few seconds until it was running smooth.

Anyway, back to the question at hand, I know that heavy engines and many trucks use a pre-oiler prior to every start and these engines are notorious for longevity. I too have noticed oil in the valve bearings when I do adjustments but she does sit all winter and frequently goes a week between drives. Now that I'm retired I hope to drive her more once the engine is rebuilt.

My baby lives in my heated, attached garage so she never gets cold soaked. I'll drive her until the salt trucks come out, with my record being a chilly -10ºC. It was a crisp and clear morning with no wind. I went for my usual Saturday morning drive along the St John river (beautiful, twisty and windy, and devoid of traffic at that time) into Fredericton for shopping. I was reasonably cozy in the car and the rest of the day warmed up into a pleasant fall day.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#5 Re: Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:56 am

Bobb, I would guess by the lack of responses that no-one has had experience of doing this sort of work, though maybe someone will come up with details of how they've done it.

But I'd have thought that if your car is kept in a warm garage then there would be little need to pre-oil, as the oil would not have become overly thick and heavy, especially if you have the sump heater. You're almost starting the car in normal British climate like that where we have no thoughts of pre-oiling.

And if you're running the car regularly then that should keep the oil in the important places for starting. If you do plan to lay-up the car for a few months then why not plan to take off the cam covers after that and run oil along the cams? Might be a easier solution to your concerns?

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#6 Re: Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Well, yes Geoff, but it is an interesting project any way.

:hammerdrill:
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#7 Re: Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Post by jagwit » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Bobb wrote:I ordered a Flojet 2100 agricultural pump ( http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/fldepu21260p.html ).
Whilst I like the concept of pre-oiling, please note the following:
1) the link you sent refers to a WATER pump - which raises the following questions:
2) Will it cope with the viscosity of engine oil?
3) Will it cope with the temperature of the oil?
4) Will it cope on a chemical level with engine oil?
Best Regards
Philip
Jag: 72 S3 XKE, 74 S3 XKE OTS, 80 XJS (Megasquirt + 5sp manual O/D)
Jensen: 74 Interceptor (EFI by Megasquirt + O/D 4sp auto)
Chev: 59 Apache std, 70 C10 (350V8, 700R4)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#8 Re: Plumbing of pre-oiler.

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi I put an acusump in to my Ultima s small block Chevy engine . It was on the car primarily to keep the oil pressure up from the reserve 5 litre tank if any surge happens when cornering fast it's was engine oil pressure controlled along with relay and solenoid. But a bonus by product was when the ignition was turned on the pressure valve would see no engine oil pressure and turn the solenoid valve on which would let the tank expell it's contents around the engine before the engine was turned over. I would see around 35 psi on the gauge before cranking ...... very reassuring after a little lay up .... am tempted to add one to my E
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic