Spam email complaint

Talk about E-Types here

Simon P
Great Britain

#21 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by Simon P » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Found it! It was there all along over in the 'Smilies' option panel ======> :spamcan:

:bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#22 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by Geoff Allam » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:51 am

Joined about a month ago. Absolutely no problems with the site. Now my car is another story!
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#23 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:37 pm

I’m the one who sent that note to David. As an explanation, this is in fact the only site I signed up to in the recent timeframe, and within 24 hours my inbox was slammed with lots spam using the email address I signed up with. Did I jump to conclusions? Perhaps. But it was, in fact, my only activity using that email address on a new site. Since that one time, the spam has dropped off to a normal level. And since no one else was getting spammed, it would appear my conclusion was incorrect.

I apologize if my communication offended anyone.

Kevin
1963 3.8L S1 OTS - apparently resurrected from multiple sources because not a single number matches :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#24 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by Gfhug » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Kevin, you've very nicely explained your reasoning and I'm sure you'd not be the only one to draw that conclusion.
As you can see it is a very friendly and helpful forum and David Jones (Heuer) manages it very well for the benefit of so many people.

Let's hope you'll get lots of useful hints and tips and you'll also share your experiences with us.

Cheers

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vonkie
South Africa

#25 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by Vonkie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

No additional spam in any meaningful or rational way attributable to participation on this forum from my side.

Assuming the query to be in good faith, which from the replies it appears to have been, it would help to know the contents (subject-matter) of the spam. For spam to be site-related, it would tend to be associated with the subject-matter of the site.

If, for example, one joins an E Type forum, and suddenly receives 20 spam emails about classic cars (say), then that is either a massive coincidence, or a link of sorts. Some spam might target users of certain sites as being certain types of markets (E Type owners are type x or y customers), and the spam might be less crudely linked to the site.

I daresay the experience of the new user is an unfortunate coincidence. Spam also tends to attach far more easily to sites entailing online purchases, than to chat or forum sites.

Anyway, unless the spammers exclude the Southern tip of Africa from their target market (and I would understand them if they did!), I have not associated any commercial activity spam-wise with any activity of mine on this site.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#26 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by Barry » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:08 pm

No issues from me either. Surely Mr Fasthound, ought to perhaps not jump to conclusions, as his spam mail could well have a coincidence, and perhaps display a few manners! Oh well, nowt so queer as folk!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#27 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:11 am

Fasthound1963OTS wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:37 pm
I apologize if my communication offended anyone.

Kevin
David says you’re in Md but you don’t sound local. Where are you? You missed a good slalom yesterday: 15 drivers, four of them women.

Pete
Gaithersburg
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#28 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Pete...wait...I don’t sound local because I apologized? :bigrin: :wow:

I’m in Potomac. This car will never see a slalom course. She’s too old and has many issues still to be resolved. My track days are behind me. I tracked, instructed, and raced with PCA for years in a stripped out 1972 911 with a 1989 3.2litre 2100 lbs quick and twitchy. Lots of fun. I’ve tried several times to reach out to JCNA on their website to join, but have never received a reply, so I’ve joined clubs in the UK instead and I like this forum.

As for people’s comments about my manners....I did explain my logic and I acknowledged I was wrong and I did apologize. I’ve spent lots of time in The UK, even had a car built there through Frontline Devlopments. I like the UK and we have friends there now. So, while I understand the perspective of the comments about my apparent lack of manners, I wonder if perhaps we might be able to dispense with further lecturing and move on to other topics? Nothing to see here folks...let’s move along.
1963 3.8L S1 OTS - apparently resurrected from multiple sources because not a single number matches :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#29 Re: Spam email complaint

Post by Heuer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Absolutely Kevin! We are a friendly bunch and your apology, whilst not required or requested, was most timely. I administer the Forum for no recompense, try my best top keep it clear of spammers and also take great care to ensure people's privacy/data are protected. Alarm bells started to ring when I got your message hence my posting it here to see if others were being exposed.

If you get the chance to meet up with Pete you will not be disappointed as he has a wealth of knowledge and an all round great bloke. We have missed him since he moved to the USA.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic