Feeling a little low!

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
TheDampMan
Great Britain

#1 Feeling a little low!

Post by TheDampMan » Sun May 13, 2018 5:02 am

Hi all
My car will grind its belly along the road very often when I’m not driving on a snooker table!

Been underneath to check the exhaust is as close to the body as possible and rubbers are in a good condition.

The previous owner fitted new wire wheels and 205/65/r15 tyres
I believe the correct tyre size should be 205/70/r15 which is around 20mm increase in diameter so 10mm increase in ride height.
I read somewhere that 215/70/r15 will fit without any modification is this correct?

My question given the above how do I increase the ride height, is the only answer to replace the tyres ?

Thanks
Steve.
Steve
1969 Series 2 Roadster
BMW Isetta

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#2 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by AussieEtype » Sun May 13, 2018 6:04 am

The cars are naturally low - get the correct tyres (or the 215s if they fit) and adjust the front suspension up on the snail cams.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by mgcjag » Sun May 13, 2018 6:51 am

Hi Steve....have you checked your ride height with that in the service manual....rear can be lifted with a spacer on the springs if you need extra height...and front as mentioned above.... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by cactusman » Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 am

Another thought based on my experience...I changed the springs and shocks on my series 1 over winter. The old ones looked ok but it turned out the rear shocks were knackered and very saggy. The car has been transformed with the new ones and although the height is nominally the same the firmer ride means less bottoming out....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#5 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by JJC » Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 am

Looks like several fixes have been covered here. I use 217 / 70's...never a problem. Certainly check the rubber hangers....new is better then old. Drive by the donut shop, don't stop. Finally, of course, check the entire suspension....shocks leaking, springs old, etc.,?? No mystery here....car should not drag. If they did, from new, in normal situations, don't think Jaguar would have sold many E's if they had a reputation of scraping along the ground. Happy Mothers Day !

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#6 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by angelw » Sun May 13, 2018 11:22 am

Steve Wrote:
I read somewhere that 215/70/r15 will fit without any modification is this correct?
Hello Steve.
Although 215/70/r15s will fit, on full left lock, the Right Front tire interferes with the Bonnet Gas Strut and can break its connection with the bonnet. I have two cars currently in work, both with broken struts caused by this.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#7 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by Heuer » Sun May 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Changing tyres will not solve your problem. The only difference between the 205/70 and the 215/70 is the tread width - 209mm vs 221m. As noted the extra width will rub at full lock and the extra 12mm of rubber on the road will add nothing perceptible to handling. The 70 refers to the aspect ratio which is section height divided by tyre width X 100. Both have a overall inflated diameter of about 26". You problem lies with the suspension. You can adjust the front but the rear is dependent on the springs (static) or the dampers (dynamic).
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#8 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by AussieEtype » Sun May 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Noting of course that he does not have 70 series tyres fitted - he has 65 series and while there is not a lot in it, it may be just enough to scrap high bits.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#9 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by Heuer » Sun May 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I thought it was a typo - 205/65/R15 tyres are unusual. If you to to Longstone Tyres you will see that 65 AR are only available in the wider sizes of 225 upwards. They are available elsewhere though.

Anyway this calculator compares tyre sizes: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -205-70r15

Difference in diameter is 25.49" vs 26.3" so a reduction in ride height of 0.81" with the 65AR which in an E-Type is a significant drop!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#10 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by Paul Buckley » Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 am

How about adjusting the torsion bars in order to raise the front ride height?
Worked for me.
Paul

1972 S3 OTS, 32k mls, a survivor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

#11 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by Woolfi » Mon May 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Sometimes the rear springs are "tired" and the car is low. My EV12 had this problem. I mounted 4 new GAZ shocks from Barratt with adjustable high. Now the car is roundabout 1,4" higher in the back than before and I have less ground touches than before.
Regards Wolfgang Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

42south
New Zealand

#12 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by 42south » Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 am

Hi
I had a similar problem with my S3. Not helped by having 60 profile tyres.
Even with New springs and Koni shocks it was still low. I got a local engineering shop to make up spacers to fit to the bottom of the Konis. SNG have some which may be enough. Since fitting the spacers my car sits at the standard height as found in the ROM specs, and most importantly never touches, which is amazing considering the very uneven roads in my part of NZ.
Prior to fitting the spacers driving was a nightmare, every hollow, crunch, scrape.

Cheers
Mark
Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

42south
New Zealand

#13 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by 42south » Wed May 16, 2018 1:09 am

42south wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 am
Hi
I had a similar problem with my S3. Not helped by having 60 profile tyres.
Even with New springs and Koni shocks it was still low. I got a local engineering shop to make up spacers to fit to the bottom of the Konis. SNG have some which may be enough. Since fitting the spacers my car sits at the standard height as found in the ROM specs, and most importantly never touches, which is amazing considering the very uneven roads in my part of NZ.
Prior to fitting the spacers driving was a nightmare, every hollow, crunch, scrape.

Cheers
Mark

Thinking about this, could it be that because the spacers have compressed the springs some more that they now have less compression available, and let the car drop less on compression?
I’m sure one of engineers will enlighten us.
Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
TheDampMan
Great Britain

#14 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by TheDampMan » Wed May 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks all for the reply’s all very helpful.
So today I had some time to have a proper look-
Front recommended height 16cm I had 13cm, adjusted snail cams and ride height is now correct.
Also managed to get the exhaust closer to the body.
However I still have issues with the rear, recommended ride height is 21cm I have 17.5cm so 3.5cm sag.
From reading your reply’s it looks like the options are spacers or new springs any further thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Steve
Steve
1969 Series 2 Roadster
BMW Isetta

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#15 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi Steve..if your rear is measuring low it suggests that your springs are weak....you already know your tyres dont help.....so replacement springs should be the first thing to do....if the car is still too low for you after this spacers can be added... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

boysandtheirtoys
Great Britain

#16 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by boysandtheirtoys » Wed May 16, 2018 10:25 pm

I have just fitted 6 new Gaz shocks and 4 rear springs to my '74 EV12 OTS and the rear is still low by 3/4 inch and I obviously have a problem with the front. Currently measured in accordance with the Jag workshop manual, my front measurement is only 4.25 inches. The off side snail cam is at max and the nearside only 1/3 of the cam circumference. When I was attempting to adjust the offside, the torsion bar appeared totally slack at the lowest point on the cam and the offside was so tight at the lowest that I had to drop the top ball joint and track rod end just to get it apart, which it did quite viscously!! I think a previous owner/workshop have cocked up the torsion bar settings. I guess the only way forward is to have the torsion bars out and re set by someone who knows what they doing and has the right tool???

Happy days to all on the blog.
Chris

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#17 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by vee12eman » Thu May 17, 2018 9:23 am

Chris, Steve and all,

Chris’ experience with new springs not correcting ride height is not unusual and is why I kept my original springs, but replaced the shock absorbers with Gaz adjustable units, as also recommended by Woolfi. My ride was very good but the car was low and I kept bottoming out. I read about spacers, spring/shock replacement from the usual suppliers, which were sold ready assembled, but the results were mixed and unpredictable. So I decided to use the adjustable units, they allow a change in stiffness and/or ride height whilst installed and retain my wonderful ride quality while also preventing bottoming out.

Since then I have been able to tweak ride height and suspension stiffness at the rear, not possible otherwise.

At the front, I also adjusted height myself. No special tool was required, despite what the manual says. You do need a distance spacer, but dimensions are in the manual and it is easy to make one. One thing to watch is that if you rotate the snails right past maximum the torsion bar can twist back to the lowest setting so violently that the snail can actually break in two! Ask me how I know...

The tool to pull the bars together (I forgot the number) is hard to find, especially if not in UK but I managed quite easily without it, simply by using a lever to align everything and insert the bolts to the reaction plates (this differs significantly from Series 1 and 2 cars).

Good luck with adjusting your suspensions.

Simon.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
TheDampMan
Great Britain

#18 Re: Feeling a little low!

Post by TheDampMan » Fri May 18, 2018 5:41 am

Just came across these on eBay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVO-ADJUSTAB ... SwhT1a9rkB

Not sure if they are correct for my car any thoughts? Am I just being a cheapskate and should I invest in new?
Steve
Steve
1969 Series 2 Roadster
BMW Isetta

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic