Knocking noise on tight turns

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#1 Knocking noise on tight turns

Post by Simonpfhc » Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi all,

I have a rather annoying knocking noise coming from the front suspension. It’s been there since I completed the car and hasn’t got any worse, but nonetheless, shouldn’t be there.

It only happens as you get towards full lock in either direction. It’s a random knock about every few seconds. If I get to a smallish roundabout, I can reproduce the knocking by just continuing around. I can’t feel it in the steering wheel, but the passenger can feel it in the footwell. The cars drives faultlessley with no vibrations and the steering is laser accurate (ok, in etype terms!).
I have double checked the wheel bearings and front suspension and all seems perfect.

Any ideas??

Oh, and I am driving it down to Italy week after next :fingerscrossed:

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Knocking noise on tight turns

Post by Heuer » Sun May 27, 2018 4:53 pm

When it happened on my car it was the spinner not fully tightening up. I resolved it by dumping the repro spinners and using the original Jaguar ones. Try an original if you have one or swap the front spinner to the rear and see if it makes a difference.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#3 Re: Knocking noise on tight turns

Post by Simonpfhc » Sun May 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Well that’s got to be one of the quickest fixes I’ve experienced! Just put the original spinners on and low and behold, no more knocking noises :bouncyyellow:

Heuer, many thinks for the suggestion. Rather embarassingly, I even remember when you raised this issue ages ago, oh well :doh:

Anyway, I would prefer to have some nice shiney spinners, so does anyone know of a supplier that has reproduction items that actually fit? I think mine were from SNG about two years ago.

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic