Share a top tip

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#1 Share a top tip

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Mon May 28, 2018 11:10 pm

Just a thought . What tips has every one got . Heres one i try to practice .....At the ends of bolts . And vibration prone alternator bots included I put a dab of rv sealant ( instant gasket ) then when bolts come loose they can't unwind past sealant like an out side nyloc .So if your on a tour you may notice your xyz has come loose but the nutsand bolts to nip it all back together will still be there ... see photo making sure nuts inside airfiter don't come off and pop into engine for a meet n greet with valves and piston
Obviously more subtle black or clear can be used , the nuts inside air filter won't be seen .
Any others out there to make our cars more reliable or easier to work on ????
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#2 Re: Share a top tip

Post by MarkRado » Wed May 30, 2018 2:32 pm

I use either nyloc nuts or Loctite threadlocker (blue)
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#3 Re: Share a top tip

Post by rfs1957 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Aplogies, but am I reading Viz ? Have never had a bolt come loose, if it was the correct fastener and correctly tightened, and - sorry, again - the result looks a mess. No manufacturer has ever done it, and no race-preparation I've either been part of or witnessed - on either 4-wheels or 2 - has ever judged this to be useful or necessary.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#4 Re: Share a top tip

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Wed May 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Fair comment each to their own . It can't be seen once air filter is on . And it is ment as belt and braces . One can only assume you haven't been around much . Next your be saying you have never seen jubilee type clips around oil filters and a hole made in the tail and tied off with locking wire to stop an oil filter coming undone ???
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#5 Re: Share a top tip

Post by JagWaugh » Thu May 31, 2018 6:46 am

Tip number one for ease of maintenance: Get a spray can of NevrSieze, and apply it to every single fastener and shaft you fit. The only exceptions to this are electrical bits (Vaseline or Silicone grease there) and interior bits which are visible or near to carpet etc (I use a Lithium spray for interior work).

Makes disassembly, even decades later, dead easy - you may have to brush some rust off the exposed threads if the nevrsieze has been washed off, but the thread interface will be free of corrosion.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#6 Re: Share a top tip

Post by politeperson » Thu May 31, 2018 11:15 am

I will try and think of something more interesting, but in the mean time my bestest tip is with regards to rust.

Serious rust starts from the inside and works its way out. This is because water will form inside unventilated box sections like dew.

Spray Waxoil or some other well regarded automotive rust inhibitor, on the inside of box sections using 100 psi. This substance will never fully cure, but will remain flexible, providing and air free seal and water proofing the inside of the box section.

It will even span unpainted welds and brown rust, halting further corrosion. Spray in as much as possible!

Make sure any water that enters a box section can escape. Otherwise rust bubbles will start to appear through the paint, by which time it is too late.

On an e-type, charts have been produced showing where to spray, however they can be summarized as the inner bullhead void, A post, B post sills, inside the engine frames (difficult) boot floor and rear wheel arches.
If you do not own the kit, get someone like Rustbusters to do it for you.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#7 Re: Share a top tip

Post by Richardhealey » Thu May 31, 2018 6:50 pm

Absolute +1 for a dab of copper slip on bolts.
I found that 10 years later things came undone without any fuss on my last restoration.

Also, great new tip from this forum was to superglue the shims on first when centering my rear calipers. No doubt very obvious really, but it would never would have occurred to me and made the whole thing a pleasure!
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Share a top tip

Post by mgcjag » Thu May 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Fed up with dead flies and bits on your dash....cut a circlar piece of filter wool and pop on into the heater air intake under the bonnet where it mates to the heater.......just pull it out every few weeks and shake clean.....you will be amazed how well it workes and what it collects...... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#9 Re: Share a top tip

Post by Jeremy » Thu May 31, 2018 7:09 pm

Steve, sounds like a good tip. Can you give details, what type /thickness, where to buy? Also, does it reduce the airflow through the heater (which many of us have spent time and money trying to increase)?
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: Share a top tip

Post by mgcjag » Thu May 31, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi Jeremy....just fine filter wool....the white Dacron wadding used in upholstery is ideal....iv never had the need to upgrade my heater...dont use the car in the winter....but always keep the vents open for fresh air......it only takes a minute to cut a circle and push in place....dont think it restricts flow...just dont fit a thick piece....an inch is plenty.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#11 Re: Share a top tip

Post by mark10337 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:21 pm

also left over filter pieces from vacuum cleaners or cooker hood filters can be cut and put in place. Very effective. They don't noticeably restrict airflow, I'm sure there will be a little but I haven't measured with a gauge.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic