Shipping a car from the USA

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
lee-type
Great Britain

#1 Shipping a car from the USA

Post by lee-type » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Good evening all

Has anyone here recently brought a car in the USA and shipped it over?

I am looking for information on how to register the car once the car is in the uk?

I believe years ago you would get the car a MOT and then take all the paper work to the DVLA to register the car but how does it work now that classic cars do not need a mot?

What if the car is a restoration project how would i register it then?
Lee
S1 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Shipping a car from the USA

Post by cactusman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 pm

There are several posts about the importation and registration procedure here abouts. Make sure you have all the U.S. registration documentation and importation paperwork to hand. You may need to get e.g. a JEC official to certify the car is what it says it is regarding age. A heritage certificate is not sufficient it seems.

The MOT bit ....as far as I know you probably need an MOT for initial registration. Cars over 40 years old are not, as some think, automatically exempt. You declare an exemption when the tax is renewed so I suspect you will have to get the car MOT done once for your initial registration and there after you can then choose to declare an exemption when the (free) road tax is due.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#3 Re: Shipping a car from the USA

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:45 am

Hi I am In the middle of doing this at mo ..... make sure you have USA title ( log book ) and the cars been registered with HMRC on the NOVA scheme this then allows the DVLA to check all duties have been paid etc .
Mot now not needed for regerstring . And they don't even ask for insurance cert (but I sent mine anyway )
I did get a 1st rejection as my vin number on the NOVA had been typed as a I....... and not a 1.......
Even though my tittle, heritage cert, insurance , etc etc all said 1 , but rules is rules . I understand this , but frustrating all the same :banghead:
So just double check and check again all paper work
And I suppose in theory you could register a project straight away as MOT not needed
I hasten to add I will MOT car once on road fully
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
lee-type
Great Britain

#4 Re: Shipping a car from the USA

Post by lee-type » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:15 pm

dal2.0litrefrogeye wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:45 am
Hi I am In the middle of doing this at mo ..... make sure you have USA title ( log book ) and the cars been registered with HMRC on the NOVA scheme this then allows the DVLA to check all duties have been paid etc .
Mot now not needed for regerstring . And they don't even ask for insurance cert (but I sent mine anyway )
I did get a 1st rejection as my vin number on the NOVA had been typed as a I....... and not a 1.......
Even though my tittle, heritage cert, insurance , etc etc all said 1 , but rules is rules . I understand this , but frustrating all the same :banghead:
So just double check and check again all paper work
And I suppose in theory you could register a project straight away as MOT not needed
I hasten to add I will MOT car once on road fully
Thanks!

Is the nova a online form thing you fill out once the car is out of the docks all done and paid for?
Lee
S1 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herbie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Shipping a car from the USA

Post by Herbie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:44 am

Interesting to hear how you get on Darren, I haven’t even started my E type restoration, do you think I could register it now anyway now that no mot is required?
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herbie
Great Britain

#6 Re: Shipping a car from the USA

Post by Herbie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 am

Sorry Darren, re-read your original post... I will attempt to register my project next week (ask the wife nicely as she is better at that stufff than me) it can be the forum guinea pig.
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
lee-type
Great Britain

#7 Re: Shipping a car from the USA

Post by lee-type » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:12 pm

Herbie wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 am
Sorry Darren, re-read your original post... I will attempt to register my project next week (ask the wife nicely as she is better at that stufff than me) it can be the forum guinea pig.
Hi Herbie

Can you keep me posted on how the proses goes.

Cheers!
Lee
S1 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herbie
Great Britain

#8 Re: Shipping a car from the USA

Post by Herbie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 pm

I certainly will.

Tomorrow I will dig out the paperwork, I believe I downloaded the relevant form a while back and I know somewhere on the forum there is information about filling it out. From the DVLA’s own admission a lot of it isn’t relevant and should be left blank.

So with the nova certificate, U.S. title document, heritage certificate and a load of shipping documents I will see what they say. Only thing that concerns me is that they want the originals sent, but I will send recorded.
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gerry
Canada

#9 Re: Shipping a car from the USA

Post by Gerry » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:13 pm

As Brit who has lived in Canada for nearly 40yrs I find it interesting that so many cars are going back to the Uk,I rarely see E types and Mk2's for sale nowadays, we did have a dealer buying everything he could in the 90's and shipping them back to the Uk and Europe! My guess now is that there are more E types in the Uk now than back in the day?
Regards Gerry 62 Ots.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic