Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Grant
Great Britain

#1 Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Grant » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:45 pm

HI all.

having past the mot Im now filling in the V55/5 and having a few problems with the technical questions.

ie exact cc's , un-landen weight, length etc etc.

Would anyone know if there is a filed in one on the forum?
or would anyone be kind enough to send me a pic of their v5 ( with reg or personnel info covered if necessary ) so I can see the technical figures.
or any advice on filling this in .

Thank you

Grant.
Series 2 OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Heuer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:01 pm

All the specifications are in the Owners Handbook which you should certainly buy:

You also need the Workshop Manual and Spare Parts Catalogue. Unfortunately the S2 parts catalogue is not illustrated so, despite the cost, it is worth owning this: http://www.xkebooks.com/shop/product_in ... ucts_id/30
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Grant
Great Britain

#3 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Grant » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi David ,

thank you for that and I will get a copy but I was hoping to fill the form in tonight as Im away on holiday for a week and I was trying to get it in the post before I go..

I will have a look on the internet.

thank you

Grant.
Series 2 OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lestere
Great Britain

#4 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by lestere » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:09 pm

I found this info below very helpful. it's from the Hot rod association website.
it tells you what to place in each box. any not mentioned leave blank.

2 - Historic.
3 - 12 months.
4 - £55.
6 - The make of vehicle, eg: Ford, Chevrolet, etc.
7 - The model of vehicle, eg: Model A, Model 40, 3100, Bel Air, etc.
8 - Bodystyle, eg: coupe, sedan, sports, etc.
9 - 2 axle rigid.
10 - The colour of your vehicle.
18 - The number of places there are to sit.
27 - Year of manufacture as noted on the dating letter supplied by the owners club.

When you come back to the top of the page, there are a couple of boxes without numbers. One is the country the vehicle came from, the other is a lhd/rhd selection. Be sure to fill these in.

29 - Date for tax to start, usually the first of the month, either the current month or the following one.
30 - Fuel type, petrol, diesel, etc.
31 - Chassis number, again as confirmed on the dating letter.
32 - Engine number, don’t worry if you don’t have one, it’s not essential. If it’s there it must be included.
33 - Engine size in cc’s. The DVLA do like the figure to be accurate, not rounded up or down.
45 - if the title only shows a year, put it as 01/01/year, otherwise put the date in full.
46 - same date as box 29.

Turn the page…

49 - Name and address.
50 - Date of birth.
51 - Write “Exempt due to age”.
55 - Optional, but it won’t hurt to put the mileage.

Then the declaration at the bottom, which needs to be signed and dated.

The DVLA are currently charging £55 to process an application. When sending in the documentation you will also need to include insurance, which is set up on the chassis number, as well as proof of address and ID as noted on the V55/5. If the car is pre-1960 no MOT is required. If the car is recently imported, you will need to complete a NOVA declaration, which should be done at the time of import. If it has been imported but kicking about for a while, you will need proof of duty paid in the shape of a C&E389 if commercially imported, or a C&E386 for a private import. This needs to be presented to Customs & Excise so they can get the car onto the NOVA system before submitting an application to the DVLA
Lester
1966 Series 1. 2+2 Willow Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Grant
Great Britain

#5 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Grant » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:55 am

HI

Thats a great help thank you Lester.

Grant.
Series 2 OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#6 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Simonpfhc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 am

Hi Grant,

I have just recently got my imported car registered and so have been through this process.

I was helped by another forum member (Alti Ian) who gave me this guidance, which I followed and wasn't questioned. One other point is do you have all the NOVA forms completed? You will need these to get it registered.

Anyway, here are the instructions I followed:

To get an age related plate you complete form V55/5 and the car must be insured and MOT'd to get a plate and provide lots of evidence of the car's identification details, photos best and a heritage certificate as well.

You need identity docs for your self as well with photos etc, see the form guides.

type approval isnt required nor is IVA, they know what an e type is.

Fill in boxes
9 = "2 axle rigid"
10 colour, keep it brief they ignored my OGS and just put GOLD on the V5
country - USA
45 the date of original registration if you know it, if not get the year right as thats all they need to decide the year letter
47, 48 49

...and leave the rest blank.

No need to send original docs like Heritage cert, just a good colour photocopy will do. In fact I didn't send any original docs - all good colour copies. I didn't have any NOVA documentation as I imported mine before 2012 when it was introduced (caused me loads of pain, but that is a whole other story!).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#7 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Hugo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Make sure you do what Sir Patrick Moore once advised - any spaces marked "for official use only", rub over them with a candle before you return the form. I went to hospital one time and they asked my ethnicity. I told them I was Black African and challenged them to call me a liar. These bureaucrats need reminding that they are employed to serve us, not vice versa.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Grant
Great Britain

#8 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Grant » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:58 pm

HI Simon

sorry for the slow reply but as I mentioned I was off on holiday (and am still in Greece) but I did get up at the crack of dawn and manage to get the application in the post!
I think I have done it ok and did have a letter from hmrc saying they're happy the nova had been paid and a couple of forms which I think are the actual nova forms and most of the other docs so fingers crossed we should be on the road by the end of August ?! or is that just asking for trouble.:-)

thank you again everyone who answered.
Series 2 OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Grant
Great Britain

#9 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Grant » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:36 am

Hi All

Well after I put it in the mail last Wednesday morning I have today had an email issuing my Reg number.
To my mind thats 3 working days! well done DVLA

and thank YOU all for your help !

See you on the road soon I hope

Grant.
Series 2 OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#10 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Simonpfhc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 am

Wow! That's the quickest I have ever heard of well done :salute:
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#11 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:00 pm

I've only ever had good experiences in dealing with the DVLA. Even so, that is a rapid turnaround.

Congratulations
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

valerea
Great Britain

#12 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by valerea » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:15 am

Just to resurrect this topic if i may

I am about to complete the V55/5, but now the situation with MOT’s have changed, do I need to send a copy in when applying?

Thanks. Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#13 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by rswaffie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:43 pm

I've just spoken to the DVLA and they tell me you don't need an MOT cert, but will need a V112 (mot exemption form) instead. However, the form requires the registration number to be included - so I don't get how that works! But that's what he told me.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#14 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Hugo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Just put the VIN down. Mine is insured under the VIN.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Steve1967
Great Britain

#15 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Steve1967 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 am

I just thought I would bring everyone up to date on this as I have just applied to get my imported E Type (USA) registered in the UK.

Following advice from an earlier thread, I applied to the DVLA to get a "pack" to do this (details on the DVLA Website) and within a week it duly turned up. It was very straightforward and I completed the V55/5 with the help of the notes in the pack, but more importantly with help from Grant's thread above (thank you!) . What was confusing is that many of the questions asked, you simply do not answer. Beware though as some additional questions (relating to electric cars) have been added since Grants advice was posted so that the numbering of the questions differ.

With my application I sent the NOVA certificate and the original copy of the registration certificate from the USA. No MOT or Heritage certificate was required, but I sent a copy of the latter anyway for good measure. The only other thing I sent was the £55 fee.

I have just received back from the DVLA acknowledgement that they have all they need but I now need to call a company called SGS so that I can make an appointment for them to come and inspect the vehicle. Apparently they guarantee to do this within 5 working days. For this inspection the car needs to be "complete and roadworthy", but it doesn't say this anywhere on the application form that I could see!

Anyway, my car is not yet complete, I am probably six months away from that. This is clearly a regular outcome however as there is an email address given to write to them to let them know this. I have sent that email and am now waiting for a response.

The purpose of this posting is to reassure others that the process seems quite straightforward, reasonably quick, and no, you do not need an MOT, but the car does need to be "complete and roadworthy" and available for inspection.

I shall let you know what happens next.......

Steve
Steve living in Tewkesbury, UK
1967 E Type 4.2 series 1 OTS
1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#16 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Philk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:07 pm

V12Steve wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 am

I have just received back from the DVLA acknowledgement that they have all they need but I now need to call a company called SGS so that I can make an appointment for them to come and inspect the vehicle. Apparently they guarantee to do this within 5 working days. For this inspection the car needs to be "complete and roadworthy", but it doesn't say this anywhere on the application form that I could see!

Steve
I went through all of this early last year (when it was mandatory to have an MOT). The SGS Inspector will take photographs around the car and look at aspects of originality. There are different possible outcomes from this. If the SGS inspector is satisfied with the originality of key components of the car, you should be assigned an age-related number plate (i.e. one relating to the year of manufacture of the car).

It all comes down to the originality of the car. For ours, we could demonstrate full matching numbers and, whilst it had been resprayed earlier in its life it fortunately had not been blasted back to bare metal so we were able to show extensive areas of original paint (i.e behind the instruments, floor and other places). We could also show date coding on the starter motor, coil, wiper motor and other parts which were original to the car's manufacturing date. We also showed him photos of where the body number had been written (e.g. behind the dashboard and on the hood cover). It all boils down to originality.

Sadly, the DVLA are continuing to harden their processes. There are a number of stories on the web of very expensive classics being assigned Q plates given, post restoration, there was barely anything left that could point to the original car.
Last edited by Philk on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#17 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Hugo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Last year I imported a Carver One (funny little tilting 3 wheeler in case you didn't know) from Italy, & had to register it in the UK. I had no Certificate of Conformity or any of the other EU BS paperwork with the car. Got the 'pack' and was confronted by all sorts of technical questions I couldn't even understand, let alone answer. (Noise levels, gm/cc emissions, bhp/kilo, turning circle - that kind of stuff - pages of it.). I left them all blank. The clincher was "Is the vehicle left- or right-hand drive". My steering wheel is in the centre, with two seats in tandem. The form told me to "tick one box", so I ticked both, sent the form in & waited for the usual bureaucratic fall-out.
To my utter astonishment, a week or two later I received a log-book in the post, no further questions asked.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#18 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by johnetype » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Steve, I do wonder if the inclusion of a letter from one of the DVLA "Approved" Car Clubs such as from Keith Vincent at the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club to validate the existence of your car with your original application would have been easier than dealing with SGS. It will be interesting to follow how it turns out.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#19 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by tim wood » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 pm

My heavens, reading this makes me so glad that I registered mine prior to these complex shenanigans.

If it helps prevent fraud and stolen vehicles being given a new identity then I’m all for it, but will it serve this purpose?

Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#20 Re: Importing V55/5 Reg document pic ?

Post by Hugo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:21 pm

No, it just keeps lots of government pen-pushers gainfully employed ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic