Starting woes

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Ikebaddog
Great Britain

#1 Starting woes

Post by Ikebaddog » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Starting my v12 after a couple or more day's sitting on the drive is getting more and more difficult, the drive is sloped and i usually park with the divers door on the low side, when starting after a couple of days, its as though I've no fuel, after cranking for ages with choke on, the only way to start is, choke off, full throttle and crank continually, one by one the cylinders start to fire, eventually firing on all 12, accompanied by smoke!!!
I'm going to park with the passenger side low today, to see if maybe the fuel pump is having trouble pulling fuel when on a slope ??? any thoughts??
John
S3 2+2 1971
Aston V8 Vantage 2006
Caterham Supersprint 1.7 1989
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#2 Re: Starting woes

Post by lowact » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:57 am

Replace yr fuel filter. I'd gamble this is yr problem. Filter collects dirt on the inside, u cannot tell when it is blocked by looking at it.
Turn on yr ignition, not to the start position, just to the run position. Listen carefully for the "ticking" of the fuel pump, you should hear it slow down as the fuel line is pressurized. If it doesn't you may have a fuel pump problem.
After it hasn't started for a bit, remove some spark plugs and check if they are wet. If so u are getting fuel, maybe it is a weak ignition problem. The fact that there is lots (?) of smoke when u finally start, does suggest this possibility but not exclusively.
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ikebaddog
Great Britain

#3 Re: Starting woes

Post by Ikebaddog » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:14 am

Cheers Colin, where about's is the filter? you might be on to something here, i can here the pump ticking away, and it is only i problem if I don't start it every day
John
S3 2+2 1971
Aston V8 Vantage 2006
Caterham Supersprint 1.7 1989
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#4 Re: Starting woes

Post by lowact » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:42 am

On roadster its in the spare wheel well, rhs.
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#5 Re: Starting woes

Post by vee12eman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:00 am

On roadster its in the spare wheel well, rhs.
Hi,

Same filter location in the FHC (Jaguar normally referred to the 2+2 Series III as the FHC, though not always).

Two different designs, early and late.

Regards,

Simon
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#6 Re: Starting woes

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:12 am

Hi John,
how did it go with your problem ?
Apart from the clogged fuel filter, I was thinking maybe flooding of the carbs.
A clogged filter would in my opinion not cause start up problems, since start up is fed by the fuel already in the carbs from driving it previously.
When turning on the ignition, w/o starting the engine, you should hear the fuel pumps clicking away for a few seconds and then slow down, that indicate that your fuel pump works and is feeding fuel to the carbs. If it doesn't slow down, you may have one or more sticking needle valves, a stuck carb float, faulty return valve or something else that causes fuel to flow when it shouldn't.
A way to check if any of your carbs have the above mentioned issues is to remove the airfilter "lid" on both sides and see if the carb is wet where the piston meets the bottom of the venturi.
I had a stuck needle valve causing fuel to run through the carb and ending up on the garage floor.

Good luck ........ Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic