Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#21 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by Heuer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:07 pm

I have stayed out of this discussion as I had hoped John would, in the cold light of day, have amended, retracted his post or adopted a more conciliatory tone. Having a strong point of view is fine but there is no need to denigrate those who do not agree with you.

If John is convinced the gearbox can be removed from a SWB S1/S2 with the engine in-situ then perhaps he should put up some step by step instructions of how it is done along with some photos. If it has been done, as John claims, there should be some examples and testimony out there.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JJC
United States of America

#22 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by JJC » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Well, you have a short wheel base car, I believe, why don't you put in a 5 speed. You can buy one for less then 6K US, with all the bits, Get a friend with a lift, put one in, and take pictures along the way, perhaps a video, which you could put on UTube. Why in God's name would I track down an owner about to put in a 5 speed, without removing the engine, and photograph the procedure ?? For you and any other doubting Thomas ??
Don't have that kind of time, and if someone wants to do it to a short wheel base E, if they put the car up on a lift, and give it a quick study, they will figure it out. To easy a job to require pictures.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#23 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by Heuer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:47 pm

My OTS has a T5 gearbox and the engine had to come out to fit it. The engine had to come out on another two occasions as the speedo drive failed, hence my curiosity as to how it can be done.

If you have no procedure to hand as to how it can be done perhaps someone can give a step by step explanation why it cannot?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sdinse
United States of America

#24 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by Sdinse » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 pm

JJC wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm
Hi Steve, not an upgrade, just new. In the Series 3, the EXEDY clutch kit # 04021 does the trick. 10.5 inch, 10 tooth. Cheap, available from most suppliers. Its all you will need, and stay with old style heavy flywheel. Don't want to be reving the engine more then you have to in order to get moving. Have fun !

JC
Thanks for the information. If an Exedy 04021 will fit your stock flywheel, then that says most any GM 10.5" pressure plate should fit. This is according to my cross referencing of different manufacturers part numbers for the same applications as the 04021. These pressure plates have a mounting dimension of 11.625".

What presents a problem with all this looking up of part numbers is what I found when I finally got ahold of information from AP Racing. In their online catalog under E-Type - 1971 to 1974 they list their part number CP2789-1 at 267mm (10.5") and only 293 lbs\ft torque capacity. Looking in their downloaded catalog (https://www.apracing.com/drawings/2018% ... Clutch.pdf) it lists the mounting holes (mm) for CP2789-1 as "6-off Ø11.4/10.16 Equispaced on a Ø306.4 P.C.D.". 306.4mm equates to 12.06299" and only 1900 lbs. clamp load. Quite a bit off from 11.625" and now I know why I'n getting slippage. So I'm still hoping someone could measure a stock flywheel or pressure plate and end the confusion.

Anyone out there who could take measurements?

TIA
Steve
1971 SIII E Type 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JJC
United States of America

#25 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by JJC » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:11 pm

Better off checking out Rock Auto here in the US.. Here is the big clue.....don't check for Jaguar parts....check Chevy parts foe Camaro's and Corvette's. The small block version of both cars use the same drive train parts Jaguar used...exactly the same. Have fun ! FYI....don't pay more then $80 plus shipping for the EXEDY kit....after all, its a Chevy part !! LOL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sdinse
United States of America

#26 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by Sdinse » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:54 am

OK! :bigrin:

Good to know AP most likely has bogus data in their catalog as far as Jags are concerned. I'll be proceeding along shopping for a Chevy 10.5" with some serious clamping force.

Thanks again,
Steve
Steve
1971 SIII E Type 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#27 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by abowie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 am

Heuer wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:07 pm

If John is convinced the gearbox can be removed from a SWB S1/S2 with the engine in-situ then perhaps he should put up some step by step instructions of how it is done along with some photos.
LOL is this still going on?
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#28 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by abowie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:35 am

Heuer wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:47 pm
My OTS has a T5 gearbox and the engine had to come out to fit it.
I had to take the IRS out as well to allow for the sliding yoke.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Adamski
Great Britain

#29 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by Adamski » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:06 am

I have replaced the whole clutch assembly on my V12 car without removing the engine and without any butchering but it's a pig of a job. Even had gearbox reconditioned at same time.
Remove/drop down IRS for prop shaft slide back. Once you slide back the bell housing you can loosen the individual pressure plate bolts bit by bit, one by one. Once pressure plate drops down you are able to drop out gearbox together with clutch assembly in the bell Housing. Replacement is a very tedious and patient job of slowly rotating engine and tightening pressure plate back up ensuring clutch plate is central as best as possible. Patience and good finger tip control to catch the threads!
If I remember rightly I had to cunningly use slave cylinder to disengage clutch whilst aligning the splines to get it perfectly central and bolting up bell housing. But it can be done on a standard gearbox. Two weeks of winter evenings at least- Honest!-
Adam
S3 V12 E Type FHC Manual 1972-owned since 1978
1957 XK150 since 1976

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#30 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by PeterCrespin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:32 am

We know Adam.

You’re coming very late to the party but it’s always good to get confirmation.

As for John, who recently insisted black was white on another E matter, nobody has ever argued really about the V12 options. Wallstman as John used to call himself, simply insisted that his magic trick would work on every E-type (wrong) and refused to answer initially that he had a non-standard box in a long wheelbass car and non-standard solid propshaft - hence his need to insert a telescopic piece because all standard E props already have one.

I would normally advise you to read the ‘back issues’ on a topic, but in this case an abrasive manner, mixed with inistence that he is right on short wheelbase Es, makes for a pretty toxic combo.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JJC
United States of America

#31 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by JJC » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:33 am

Alter the original driveshaft (shorter), not insert a new, non-standard driveshaft. If you will check early post, you will see that I suggested to all to drop me a pvt line, and I will be more then happy to discuss with anyone, except you, of course , on how to install a 5 speed in any E-Type. FYI...I still use the old Wall Street handle.. How blessed you are to know everything about everything. Especially the "other matter", where the sole purpose was to drive fellow E-Type lovers to the exhibit. Using a short "grey" story to drum up interest was the intent. Well, off to check on Hong Kong.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Adamski
Great Britain

#32 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by Adamski » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:50 am

Just to finally clarify for anyone wishing to perform this procedure on a V12. The reason why you have to take out all the bolts of the pressure plate whilst inside the separated open bell housing is that the whole bell housing is jammed in by the tunnel and pressure plate. Once the pressure plate assembly drops down and back into the bell housing you can lower the bell housing down enough to drop out the gearbox.
There was a fix it bodge on the Jag Lovers forum entailing drilling a big hole in the bell housing to get a socket in to unbolt the pressure plate. That solution wasn't for me and as mentioned it can be done very patiently preferably over a winter laydown period. My thrust bearing was totally on it's last legs and gearbox did require various new internals so an essential task.
The alternative is to remove the complete engine and box which has it's own challenges.
These days there are well priced 5/6 speed boxes available which would be nice for lower motorway revs but not to be for me.
Adam
1957 XK150 since 1976

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#33 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by mgcjag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi Adam..Re a V12 only.......why make it so complicated removing the clutch whilst you still have the bell attached....just follow the procedure i linked to at the start of this thread....many have done it and it works....Steve http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12103
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Adamski
Great Britain

#34 Re: Changing a clutch a 9 to 5 job !

Post by Adamski » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:17 pm

I have just realised that I previously contributed to this subject on your link.
I suppose I didn't realise that disconnecting the engine mounts and jacking the engine up with all cooling and other ancillaries connected would have this effect. Ah well-Job done anyway.
All this talk might help someone else if there's anyone left doing this themselves!
Adam
1957 XK150 since 1976

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic