Evans Waterless Coolant

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#1 Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by Barry » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:49 pm

I’d be really interested to hear of experiences with Evans waterless coolant. Many of the well known top E-type restorers have started recommending it. My fear is that engines were designed for specific heat ranges, and exceeding those temperatures could cause longer term damage. Also, is this to be taken seriously as an anti corrosive coolant? That may have a bearing on its use in an XK engine as opposed to a V12. Let’s see where this topic goes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#2 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by JJC » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:53 am

You are right on the money.....it could mask a problem, and damage could occur. Stay away...great for race cars, not meant for street cars, despite the great marketing pitch. One other silly point......suppose your on the road, and a small coolant leak occurs. You quickly fix it, but a bit of the Evans is lost, and you must now re-fill your system. Hope you keep extra Evans in the trunk......if not, your screwed ! Can't mix Evans with water. Don't waste your money, as I said, its for race, or sealed engines.

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#3 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by Barry » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:17 am

Thanks, I share your views, but there must be someone out there who uses it, and maybe thinks it’s great. I’m certainly not going to use it, but the piece about anti corrosion could be Evans best pitch. Although, putting more inhibitor in with your water will do just fine! So is this just a marketing scam, giving the dealers an excellent commission.......

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#4 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Forget the label for a minute.

Imagine someone comes up to you with a blank bottle and suggests you fill your occasionally electrically-incontinent old car engine with a flammable liquid alcohol.

Wotchergunnado?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#5 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by Barry » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:20 am

Don’t do it! It just highlights the clever marketing for this product.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GordonHam
Great Britain

#6 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by GordonHam » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:27 pm

My two cents worth - i have had it in my S2 since I took ownership in 2014, following a thorough overhaul of the block coolant channels, and new block core plugs fitted.
It seems to be fine, and given the overhaul work it made sense to me to switch to waterless thereafter.
We completed a long (2700 miles)run around Europe this summer, and the car never had any overheating issues, even in stop / start traffic for an hour in 35C heat.
As to the question about topping up, although I took a 1 litre bottle of Evans with me, I read that if needs be, in an emergency, water can be added to the existing coolant without issue, although they do say that the system should be flushed and replaced with 100% Evans waterless asap.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SEJohnson95
Great Britain

#7 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by SEJohnson95 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Richard has been using this in his 3.8 FHC which had a full rebuild, new radiator etc. Although he doesn't spend much time on here, I know he is happy with it and hasn't yet run into any problems. The car runs well and has never hinted at overheating.
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#8 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by Heuer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:41 pm

SEJohnson95 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:09 pm
The car runs well and has never hinted at overheating.
Same here - although in my case it has been water and anti-freeze!
GordonHam wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:27 pm
We completed a long (2700 miles)run around Europe this summer, and the car never had any overheating issues, even in stop / start traffic for an hour in 35C heat.
Same here with over 50,000 miles through Europe over the last 18 years including temperatures of 42C in Biarritz - again it has been water and anti-freeze!

Where is the magic? :shrug:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#9 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by Gfhug » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Evans did a presentation recently where they said their system was the same as in Spitfire's Merlin engines as they ran on pure glycol. I had to correct them and point out that although RR first tried glycol only cooling they soon found out that a mix of glycol and water gave better cooling. Evans' man was a little taken aback to learn that some of their sales pitch was WRONG :roll:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#10 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by Richardhealey » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Evening gents,
I know the fairly firm view on the forum is the tried/tested and original anti freeze and water mixture and I hear the arguments about the flammability of the Evan’s coolant.
So, although many, many months till the decision needs to be made by me personally, I am intrigued by the idea of having a water and therefore corrosion free cooling system. Perhaps I’m overstating the benefit and maybe our corrosion problems are associated with poor maintainence in the past, but it’s kind of tempting isn’t it?
Cheers,
Rich
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave123m
Great Britain

#11 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by Dave123m » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi,

I run waterless coolant in a performance Westfield Track Car & it's absolutely fabulous however that's pushing an engine to it's limit for an extended period of time so not quite the same conditions as a road going E-Type.

For my Series 3 V12 I run conventional Antifreeze / Water with a totally standard Cooling System & had absolutely no issues this year on either the 3000 mile road trip to Sicily (including a drive up Mt Etna) or the 1000 road trip to Angouleme & had no issues on the drive to Gibraltar in 2016 in 38 Degree Ambient.

Based on this I would suggest if the cooling system is in good condition there's no need for anything other than that recommended by Jaguar, particularly considering the cost of the Evans Treatment for no tangible benefit.

Regards,

Dave
Barn Find Series 3, 2+2;
Pace Petroleum Company Car of Aston Martin Chairman Victor Gauntlett
Unused 25 Years; found 13.01.12 (38052 Miles); returned to road 16.05.12
Aesthetically unrestored, driven to Le Mans Classic (x4), Switzerland, Italy, Gibraltar

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#12 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:28 am

Surprised they let you race the Westfield with any species of glycol, as it's dangerously slippery to others if you sprig a leak. Unless it was just track days I suppose?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#13 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by christopher storey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:03 am

If the Evans stuff is just glycol , then all you are buying is extortionately expensive antifreeze

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianB
Great Britain

#14 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by JulianB » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:47 pm

I know this post is a bit old but does anyone on the forum have any experience of going BACK from Evans to old fashioned water? We have been asked previously and our V12 E-type currently has Evans "fitted", which was how we purchased the car.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#15 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by Heuer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:18 pm

There is no problem going from Evans coolant to water/anti-freeze - it is only the other way around that needs careful (and expensive) preparation. From their web site:

"In the event that there is significant coolant loss from the system during operation and no Evans waterless coolant is available to fill the system, water or water-based coolant may be used. However, repairs should be made as soon as possible, and the system should be drained, purged and re-filled with Evans waterless coolant."

Given the cost that will certainly be an 'ouch' moment! So go ahead and dump it, fill with water/anti-freeze and add a bottle of 'Water Wetter' which in my experience gives you an extra 5°C overhead.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisallen01
Great Britain

#16 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by chrisallen01 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Always useful to compare the market for coolants and I did just that 3 years ago after rebuilding the engine in my Series 2. I went for 4life coolant as it is a gycol based product supposed to last 10years which I doubt but,
20 litres cost GBP50 and even if it only lasts 4 years it will still be cheaper than replacing 50%mix Blue antifreeze every 2 years (with reduced disposal concerns too). I toured Scotland last year and in 2500 miles not a drop of coolant topup was required, another advantage it can be toped up with water in an emergency and this would not require the whole system to be replaced.
I have no connection with the supplier. https://4lifecoolant.co.uk/
Chris
69 S2 FHC OEW P1R27068
Oxford UK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#17 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by mgcjag » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:29 pm

What great marketing....4life coolant...lasts 10 years? :banghead:
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#18 Re: Evans Waterless Coolant

Post by cactusman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 am

Evans only warranty their coolant for two years. Nothing lasts for ever.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic