Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

#1 Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by AussieEtype » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:42 am

On the Series 3 OTS - on each side of the interior behind the seats there are two large plastic panels on each side covering the interior sheet metal (sorry I cannot find any pics). They overlap each other with one having the rear speaker grill - when these are in place the roof folding mechanism goes down between them and the soft top when folded down is supported by a moulded protrusion in one of the panels.

Originally these four pieces where moulded black plastic with I guess a vacuumed thin piece of vinyl over the top of the black plastic that matched the interior colour.

Now when I bought my car in late 1982 the interior was well worn and I ordered a new interior at the time. This really was before repro parts really got up and running and as the vacuuming process was not available aftermarket at the time I had to send the four panels and my two door handles to the supplier who made covers to fit - all trimmed, stitched and glued (as the OEM stuff should have been made).

Now all these years later these parts are now worn and I guess I would like to take them back to original (if I want them trimmed, stitched and glued I could get a local auto trimmer to do it).

Now I have searched and cannot find anyone who is doing these four rear interior panels as they were originally made - that is a hard black plastic base with coloured vinyl vacuumed and stuck to the plastic base.

Any ideas on where to get these? - need them in Biscuit and I will need two new Biscuit series 3 interior door handles - I guess I can get my old ones recoloured but the colour comes off pretty quick with use.

Thanks

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#2 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by JJC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:04 am

I would try XK'S Unlimited in California, US. Good luck !

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

#3 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by AussieEtype » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks JC - I wonder what the restoration companies are doing to restore these components when working on their cars?

Cheers

garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by mgcjag » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi Garry....have you tried contacting trimmers like BAS or Aldridge to find out what they do...not really sure what your parts look like but could you form them from thin aluminium then cover with vinyl....i have recently recovered my S2+2 door handles the only option from the trimmers was a spray finish....or some offer a stitched version but quite expensive here a link to recovering mine http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... les#p78948 Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#5 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by angelw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Garry Wrote:
I wonder what the restoration companies are doing to restore these components when working on their cars?
Hello Garry,
Mostly they're painted using Trim Colouring material.

Have you tried the Dash Doctor? Following is the link:
https://www.dashboarddoctor.com.au/resk ... estoration

However, they seem to be expensive for most of what they do, but they would be able to vacuum cover the part as per original.

John Skinner and others sell new After Market units (coloured); I've not had one to examine to judge the quality.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

#6 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by AussieEtype » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:38 am

Thanks Steve and Bill.

Steven I have the base plastic panels and just wanting to get to correct vinyl cover on them or just get new ones. That link shows exactly what was done to my arm rests (and a similar process to the panels) this is far superior to the cheap and nasty way Jaguar did these parts on the series 3 - may door grabs originally were coloured and not trimmed at all. Thanks for the tips.

Bill - I assume that dash process is the same basic process that was used by Jaguar to cover the original plastic trim panels back in the early 70s. I will drag out my old panels and send them some pics and see what they say.

I must say I prefer the trimmed and stitched door grips and interior panels over the cheap and nasty originals but I guess it would be nice to go original though the car is never going to be a rivet counters delight.

I will contact the suggested businesses and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the responses.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#7 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by Craig Balzer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 am

The part numbers for the plastic parts are
..................LH..................RH
Arch cover....BD39472..........BD39473
w/ speaker...BD38313 ..........BD38312

SNG Barrett's carries the arch covers at $180 for the pair
SNG Barrett's carries the speaker covers at $216.50 for the pair

I don't know if they of are the original construction you seek.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/home <-- simply enter the above part numbers in their search field. Although neither is available on-line
Craig Balzer
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
1972 Series III OTS, 4-Speed (soon-to-be a Guy Broad 5-Speed), A/C, CWW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

#8 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by AussieEtype » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:49 am

Craig - thanks for those links.

Yes comes up with part numbers superceded and refers you to another section with a pic of the right bits but as you indicated - parts not available online - but if you actually click on the new part it says whoops part cannot be found - but I guess that may be because I am online.

I think a phone call (for me in the early hours of the morning) might be needed to clarify.

Thanks for those part numbers it gives me something to start a conversation with.

Cheers

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#9 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 pm

If originality isn't required, I can recommend covering them in leather.
I had mine done in connection with a full interior makeover including seats, doors and dash top. The additional cost for covering the panels in leather was less than new repro panels.
On the down side, the panels are now thicker and the cubby box had to be modified for it all to fit in.

1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

#10 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by AussieEtype » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Yes a much more appropriate solution to the cheap jaguar offering. As I indicated in my original post what I have now is exactly what you put up but after nearly 30 years they are quite tattered so will need replacement. Original preferred but if too hard to achieve I will just get them recovered again as yours are displayed.

Thanks

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#11 Re: Series 3 OTS Interior Rear Body Trim

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:01 am

Gives you the option to have those ridiculous "armrests" removed, as I did.
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic