Built by Many

Talk about E-Types here

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#41 Re: Built by Many

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi . One thing I kept in place while doing the floors and sill replacement was my windscreen ( my screen was old chipped and buggered ) I kept in place so the aperture would remain screen shaped .also if it stressed and cracked I would of known something was out of kilt straight away. Also a laser level is your friend. Mark datum points from a fixed point early in the build and as parts are let back in you can recheck the squareness off the car with said laser. Also good for aligning doors sills and bonnet also if new bonnet is fitted good for marking before cutting bonnet. Regards Darren
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#42 Re: Built by Many

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:51 pm

Top tip:-

Don't buy any new aftermarket parts until you've exhausted every possible means of repairing or restoring the original parts.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#43 Re: Built by Many

Post by christopher storey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:30 am

Episode 2 up and running and very interesting it is . However, the sound quality is still very variable . A very interesting contribution by William Heynes, grandson of WMH. However, his assertion that the XK was all the work of WMH will be looked at askance by the families of Claud Baily and Wally Hassan ! As will describing the rear suspension as his grandfather's creation , rather than its being that of Bob Knight. The white, said to be completely untouched, 1962 OTS was also a bit debatable : the front bumpers were typically askew as though the wrong, or no, spacers had been used at some stage. All nit picking : a good 26 minutes' worth

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alastair_james_cox

#44 Re: Built by Many

Post by alastair_james_cox » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks Christopher,

The sound edit is becoming painful. It was checked on laptop, Mobile and PC but there are issues. Especially if you're on surround sound TV or using speakers. We're working on this again now. Thanks for the feedback on the narrative too. We can dig deeper on contributions from the wider team as we go along ... please keep the feedback coming.

Best, Al.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#45 Re: Built by Many

Post by Heuer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Yes, the sound was off when listening with my surround system not helped by Al's heavy cold. I can also echo Christopher's words regarding attributing rather a lot to William Haynes when others where involved which kind of irked. The "all original" OTS not only had wonky bumpers (they would not have left the Factory like that so someone has been in there) but also appeared to have a mix of brass and plastic capped SU damper's unless it was a video artifact:

Other than that an enjoyable second episode and Will Haynes is certainly knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#46 Re: Built by Many

Post by 1954Etype » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Good episode - shame that the original OTS that Will was describing has been repainted, chromed and re-trimmed 🙁
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#47 Re: Built by Many

Post by Richardhealey » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:49 pm

No?! Really :oops:
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#48 Re: Built by Many

Post by cactusman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Interesting video. I too echo the comments above. William Heynes was certainly an integral part of the team who developed the e type but the video does sort of suggest he was the sole designer which certainly is not the case....hopefully a future episode will address this and credit all the others we know were part of the team...Walter Hassan, Malcolm Sayer, Sir William Lyons, Norman Dewis and even the mysterious Mr Whitaker to name but a few....never the less very good so far....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#49 Re: Built by Many

Post by ralphr1780 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Quite interesting episode, always great to see and hear passionate people sharing details about restoration steps.
The white car looks stunning with all available documentation, but indeed some details are questionnable.
In the discussions with Will, there was no mention of any upgrades, constant focus on getting the cars as they originally left the production line.
Julian's car looks absolutely great, would love to have the same easy to close doors. But I wonder how Al can manage to drive it with the boots he was wearing, :bigrin: guess the pedals have been modified. Also, when shifting reverse: it was left and down, smooth and easy, so no more Moss box!
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#50 Re: Built by Many

Post by cactusman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:06 pm

You would not want the rust protection to be as it left the production line though....be rusty before you got home :geek:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#51 Re: Built by Many

Post by ralphr1780 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:46 pm

cactusman wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:06 pm
You would not want the rust protection to be as it left the production line though....be rusty before you got home :geek:
No rust protection was evoked, so "as it left factory".
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#52 Re: Built by Many

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:54 pm

I know we all go mad with the rust protection when rebuilding (I know I did ) but realistically how we treat/use them now ( dehumidified , heated, carcooned, garages, along with not using them in the rain ) compared with them being used from new and being left in a used in wet , salty, muddy conditions .... or all three together ,
What's the actual chances of them going rusty again ????
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#53 Re: Built by Many

Post by politeperson » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:34 pm

About zero chance of rusting Darren. I agree. I love putting the wax in though, after all, you often cannot paint the back of a weld and cars rust from the inside out. Wax stops it all dead.

I am faced with so much rubbish on TV that I welcome any e type related films and enjoyed this episode immensely.

Very pleased to see younger folk get involved, as that will help keep the e type alive, just like what is going on with Beetles and Porsches 911s.

Apart from high production numbers, what these cars have in common is that even in 2018, a 50 year old example is still good to drive, reliable and cool.

I hope their luck (in business) matches their optimism and enthusiasm.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lee-type
Great Britain

#54 Re: Built by Many

Post by lee-type » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 pm

I was great to see the E again and meet Al.

Lee
S1 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#55 Re: Built by Many

Post by cactusman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Me too. Apparently Edd will not be evident for now as he is busy with other projects.....they hope to release an episode at the end of each month... :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#56 Re: Built by Many

Post by mark10337 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm

I had a good long chat with Al at the end of the show yesterday. Great to meet him and hear about what's coming with William Haynes on board. I met William last year and had a great conversation about some of the unique records he has from his grandfather.

Regarding rust from Darren's post above. My car was repainted less than 12 months ago and there are signs of rust under some paintwork, around the door trays and on newly re-plated items and I've barely driven it in any wet weather this year for a change. So it pays to protect, protect and protect whenever and wherever you can.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#57 Re: Built by Many

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:07 am

“Interesting video. ..... credit all the others we know were part of the team...Walter Hassan, Malcolm Sayer, Sir William Lyons, Norman Dewis and even the mysterious Mr Whitaker to name but a few.”

Don’t forget American Bob Bates, who doodled the coupe shape out of welding rod over a prototype body. They were planning to build just an open car initially but when Lyons saw Bates’ mock-up he allegedly decided to proceed with the closed car simultaneously.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Doug Buchan
United States of America

#58 Re: Built by Many

Post by Doug Buchan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:46 am

I believe his name was Bob Blake.
Doug
'67 ots

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#59 Re: Built by Many

Post by Tom W » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:30 am

I saw the car at the NEC. The bottom half is very rusty, but nothing that can’t be fixed. It’s exciting to see the project develop, I’m looking forward to the next episode.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#60 Re: Built by Many

Post by mystery type » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Bob Dewis and Norman Bates :seeingstars: