Dynalite relay wiring

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi,
Has anyone got some pics from behind the dash showing how the relay is wired when fitting a dynalite in a positive earth S1 3.8?
It should be wired between the ignition switch and the warning light. I can’t seem to find the white wire that leaves the ignition switch to fuse 7 (which I think then connects to fuse 6 and on to the warning light). There is a white wire that also leaves the switch and goes to the starter button. I’ve identified that wire by continuity test. I’ve also traced the white wire from the light to fuse 6.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Richard
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#2 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by Peter27 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi Richard

Have you got an answer to this? I did exactly this a couple of years ago and took a few hours to work it out (easy once I had stopped being a bit dense!). Can't remember exactly which wires etc. but I did label everything up behind the dash panel when I did it. Happy to take a look over the next few days but don't want to fiddle about if you have already solved.

Peter
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi Peter
No, I haven’t had any replies. It’s the white wire from the fuse box to the ign switch that I am having difficulty tracing. I think it is one half of the piggybacked wires that connect to the switch, which I assume will need splitting - one half goes to the starter button, the other to fuse 7?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#4 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by Peter27 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi Richard,

OK leave it with me! Hopefully when I drop the dash panel, it will all be obvious....
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Much appreciated, Peter.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#6 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by Peter27 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Richard,

I have never posted images before so I hope this is going to work (if not PM me and we will use email)! Hopefully when my car was restored the original colour coding of wires was used... First of all ignore fuse 7. The white wire from the ignition light (which you say you have identified) goes to fuse 6 and you need to remove this and connect it to the relay at the next connector when moving clockwise from the two earth connections. The final connection on the relay (again a white wire) is connected to the ignition switch on the same common connector as the red ignition wire. Other than connecting the earth wire to the relay (which should have a bridging wire to the second earth), that is it as far as I am aware. I have left my dash panel open in case you have other questions. Good luck.

1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#7 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks Peter,
I think from what you have described, my problem might be that I’m putting the relay into the system too early. I’ve got it directly after the ignition swich, before it gets to fuse 7. Can I ask another favour, just to put this to bed, could you take a picture of the ignition switch wiring connections?

Many thanks,
Last edited by rswaffie on Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#8 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Peter,
I’m a bit confused when you talk about the ‘same common connector on the ignition switch as the red ignition wire’. I only have the brown/white in from the rb340 control box on one side of the switch, and the piggyback whites (one to starter, the other to fuse 7 for the warning light) on the other side of the switch.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#9 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by Peter27 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Here you go. Relay is wired directly to ignition switch with white wire indicated, on the terminal next to the brown/white wire with black insulating tape showing!. On my car, the white wire is on the same connector as red wire (sorry I have confused you with 'ignition'). As an aside, I assume you have fitted the dummy regulator box by the battery???

1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#10 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Brilliant, many thanks Peter. The dummy regulator has been fitted. I’ll have another crack at it tomorrow based on your config and see what happens. Where does the red wire go to from your switch?
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#11 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by Peter27 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Red wire goes to the starter button. Let me know how it goes!
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#12 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi Peter,
I tried your config, but still no joy.
I disconnected the warning light cable from fuse 6. I confirmed that this was the correct cable by putting 12v to it and the lamp came on. I connected this wire to 87 on the relay as per the Powerlite instructions and as per your config. The earth wires were already connected to 30 and 86 (relay came with the dummy control box). I connected this to an existing earth point. I connected the remaining relay connector to the wire for the ignition switch. Before connecting this to the ignition switch I put 12v through it, which should be the same as switching the ignition on. The relay clicked, but no warning light! I have another relay but still the same result.
I must be missing something obvious :banghead:
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#13 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by Peter27 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi Richard,

I feel your frustration! I spent a few hours going in circles when I did it, until I realised the wire I thought went to the ignition light...didn't. I'll re-read your posts and give it some more thought but may be a difficult one to resolve without actually seeing it. Can you send a couple of photos?

Regards,

Peter
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#14 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by Peter27 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi Richard

I have just studied your posts again. I think you may have the relay incorrectly wired. Can you send me a photo of the connector side of relay, similar to one I posted?
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#15 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi Peter

I have added some pics. The white wire with the red tape is the warning lamp cable, removed from fuse 6 and connected to 87 on the relay. The other white wire goes from 85 on the relay to the ignition switch. 30 and 86 were pre-populated with the earth wires.

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#16 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by MarkRado » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:13 am

Hi Richard,

I suppose your car is pos earth :bigrin:
The connections on your relay seem to be ok.
The relay switches 12V pos (ie earth), that means that you should have +12V ( earth) on 87 when activated (relay closed, after the click). A test lamp between 87 and a hot terminal on one of the fuse blocks should then light up. If you tested your warning light ok with +12V (earth), everything should be fine.
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#17 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi Mark
Thanks for the info. I’m going to check on the wiring from the other side of the w/l back to the dynalite via the dummy control box. The guys fitting the engine had some issues tracing the wires so they made some changes to get it fired up.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#18 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by Peter27 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi Richard

I have double checked on my car with your photos and agree with Mark - the relay appears to be wired correctly.
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#19 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks Peter, I think it must now be the wiring at the other end of the system that is causing the problem. One for the weekend!
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#20 Re: Dynalite relay wiring

Post by rswaffie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:26 pm

I couldn’t wait for the weekend so made the most of the sunshine and got the car out on to the drive to give me some space to check the control box and dynator wiring. The first thing I looked at was the dynator and spotted the culprit- the field wire was not connected to the dynator. The garage had mentioned that they couldn’t trace the W/l wire so for some reason had left it off. I checked all the dummy control box wiring and connected the battery. Turned the key and the light came on. Success!
Now I just need to sort the front carb overflow and I can fire it up and check the charging operation.
Thanks for your assistance in validating the dash/relay wiring.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic