Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Carajas
Australia

#1 Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by Carajas » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi All

My name is Tony - and new to this forum and would like some help if possible

Am looking to purchase a series 1 - i have my eye on one but am concerned it might be a 1.5 rather than a series 1 .

So I am wondering if there a definitive car/body number after which they became 1.5's for roadsters

I understood this transition started in about Aug 1967 - from what I have read but the car I am looking at whilst it appears to have matching numbers - the dealer does not have a heritage cert so i do do know when the car was supplied

What concerns me is that - after one of our colleges on this forum point out that the car I am looking at does not have arm rests - which he says is correct for a series 2 but not a series 1

Any help would be appreciated - pics of the car follow

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmreB8MM

thanks

tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by abowie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Your car is on XKEData

http://xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1E13770

Both the car before and after have covered headlights so yours is pretty likely to be original.

1E13771 http://xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1E13771 has a build date of 16 Nov 1966 so yours is likely to be from around then although probably first registered in 1967.

Now I may be completely wrong but there is something slightly wrong about the stamping on the ID plate. It looks a bit sharper than normal to me. I would insist the sellers provide you with a Jaguar Heritage Certificate proving it is "matching numbers". This costs under $100, only takes a week or so and they won't give you any information that you don't already have.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#3 Re: Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by Robbiee » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:16 am

Hi Tony
Looks like a really genuine car
Frames and ID plates can be restamped
However the body number( E5497 on yours ) can often be found handwritten in various places and can reassure you as the the identity. It’s also quite fun to find something that the foreman in the factory has handwritten 50 odd years back !
Try photoing the reverse side of the dashboard either side for a start !
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#4 Re: Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by Philk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:21 pm

I would personally be wary of this car. As previous posts have highlighted, the data plate looks to be engraved rather than stamped (the lettering is far too clean). There are many original examples you can see on the Factory Fit section of the forum.

Additionally:
- From various photos, the body colour looks to have been Red prior to being painted British Racing Green. However, the Engine and Picture Frames are black. As such, this could be the front of one car bolted onto the body of another.
- The doors are missing their armrests (and look like they have never been fitted). The doors/trim could therefore be from an earlier 3.8 car
- The Centre Console is missing its ashtray

The stamp on the engine head looks to be original. The question is whether the block has the same number on it. Ditto for whether the Gearbox numbers match (top lid and cast iron case).

Fully agree with the need for a heritage certificate to be obtained. The body number would need to be validated from the riveted tag and, as has already been mentioned, whether any factory crayon marks are present.

I would tread carefully and fully validate its provenance.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Carajas
Australia

#5 Re: Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by Carajas » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:48 pm

gents

the dealers (Gullwing Motor Cars of NY ) description of the car is given below - says was orginally Black with red interior

""1967 Jaguar XKE Series I 4.2 Roadster with Matching Numbers: The Ideal Restoration Candidate""

""This 1967 Jaguar XKE Series I Roadster has been in storage since 1983 and is an excellent original car in need of straightforward restoration. British racing green with black leather interior. The car was originally delivered in extremely desirable black with red interior. It's a very original and solid example with matching numbers. A Georgia car its entire life, the original owner was a graduate of the University of Georgia. The second owner purchased the car in 1981, drove the car for two years and then moved to Chicago for work. The car was placed in storage at that time and has not been moved until now. A great restoration candidate, extremely solid and very original. The motor runs but the car is not roadworthy at this time. Don't miss the chance to own and be the first to restore this matching numbers Series I 4.2 E-Type Roadster. Matching numbers Solid rust free car Desirable Series I 4.2 Roadster Highly original example""

Does this help ??

I am having a professional inspect the car soon

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#6 Re: Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by Series1 Stu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:06 am

Highly original, except it used to be black with a red interior and now it's green with a black interior...... And it's all been trashed. :banghead:
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#7 Re: Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by AussieEtype » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:12 am

Also remember that Aust being a RHD country, a LHD car (even one converted) to RHD will be worth less here than an original RHD car.

If the car will be coming back to Aust I would be looking for a RHD car.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#8 Re: Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by Philk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:45 am

Series1 Stu wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:06 am
Highly original, except it used to be black with a red interior and now it's green with a black interior...... And it's all been trashed. :banghead:
….. and, if you look v closely at the photos, there is red paint around the left hand door hinge and in a few other places. Two of the carburettors have the older brass tops from '62 and earlier and one has the more modern damper top. As before, there are no armrests on the door panels (standard from late 63 on 3.8s and all 4.2s) and the front of the radio console is wrong. The car gives every appearance of having been put through a restoration by someone who did not know the cars and just bundled parts together. These are the things you can see on the photos - only a close up inspection will get to the truth.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

baldyz1
Great Britain

#9 Re: Looking at a Series 1 LHD car - Car Number

Post by baldyz1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:18 am

The car does appear to be a Series 1 but as people point out its a bit of a Bitzer, bits of this and bits of that.

A total restoration is required and this will cost you around £100,000 to a high standard unless you are doing the work yourself. This could increase if you require extensive floor work. I would guess that the sills and floors have been bodged on this car given the amount of underseal used so you have to assume you will be replacing them. The bonnet stands the distance test but could of course be full of filler. Every mechanical part will require restoration or renewal.

What I am saying is that the purchase price is irrelevant compared to the cost of the restoration therefore if you can find a car where the foundation is sound and everything matches correctly it may be cheaper in the long run even if its a little more expensive.

Preferably buy a car that has already been restored provided it has a photographic history of the restoration so you can see all the metalwork being done properly. This will generally be the most cost effective route.

Thanks
Chris
Chris C
1966 4.2 2+2 Gun Metal

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic