Series 1 2+2 values

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

erictheetype99
Great Britain

#21 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by erictheetype99 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 pm

As a series 1.5 2+2 FHC owner I also struggle to value my car for insurance purposes. I try to keep an eye on values but its very difficult. You certainly can't go by prices advertised - how many of us paid the price our car was advertised for? Advertised prices most frequently are,shall we say at best ambitious, at worst deluded?
With regard to identifying a S 1.5, from my observations its more complicated. The spec I've seen in this chain is certainly true for cars sold in the US, but for UK series 1.5 cars.............. open headlights - yes, twin cooling fans - no, ribbed cam covers - no and toggle dash switches not rockers. Also obviously thriple SUs not twin Strombergs. No doubt there are many other differences between the US spec and UK spec series 1.5 cars, these are just what I've consistently spotted.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dereksharpuk
Great Britain

#22 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by dereksharpuk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 am

As stated here, prices are all over the place. I suppose that is partly due to the fact that there are many variants of E Type for sale, from flat floor Roadster to automatic Series 3 2+2. I'm told by one dealer recently, rather rudely, that E Type values have 'gone down the toilet'. Whereas I don't 100% agree with him, they do seem to have dropped back a bit lately. What valuation would learned owners put on a mint, nut & bolt 2018 full professional total restoration of a signal red Series 2 Roadster, matching numbers, heritage certificate, RHD?
Derek Sharp
Series 2 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#23 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by chrisfell » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:21 pm

The biggest variable in E-Type prices is the premium that some retailers command on their cars. Eagle E-Types for example, command stratospheric prices.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dereksharpuk
Great Britain

#24 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by dereksharpuk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:32 pm

So what is a good price for private sale for a series 2 roadster in concours condition, rebuilt 100 miles ago? I bet the answers range from £80K to £195K. I don't include those Eagle prices. I suppose at the end of the day it is down to what someone will pay, so that means don't start low.
Last edited by dereksharpuk on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Sharp
Series 2 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#25 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Derek.....is it your S2 that your trying to find a value for to sell....best way is to post some photos and ask for advice....but you say concours...it depends whose looking at ....If you dont post photos then its just a guessing game.......be honest with yourself and look at the current market and whats out there for sale.....how much would you pay for it... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

erictheetype99
Great Britain

#26 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by erictheetype99 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 am

Hello all,

I have a S1.5 2+2 daily driver - solid but slightly scruffy but new interior and 5 speed box conversion. I've based my value, as another contributor suggested, on what I think it would cost me to replace in the similar condition - I estimate c£40k.

Series 1.5 cars - to throw a spanner in the works - I note there is a big differences between UK and export S1.5 cars. UK cars continued with single fan and toggle switches and smooth cam covers whereas export S1.5 had twin fans and rocker switches and many had ribbed cam covers. Just an observation.

On a separate note, does anyone have external contact details for MarekH - looking to see if I can source some S1 reversing light LED inserts he mentioned (and appeared to be supplying) in posts last year (2017). I've sent him a Q via the internal messaging on this forum, but no response as yet?

Many thanks

Mark Pascoe (Hampshire UK)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dereksharpuk
Great Britain

#27 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by dereksharpuk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 am

mgcjag wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm
Hi Derek.....is it your S2 that your trying to find a value for to sell....best way is to post some photos and ask for advice....but you say concours...it depends whose looking at ....If you dont post photos then its just a guessing game.......be honest with yourself and look at the current market and whats out there for sale.....how much would you pay for it... Steve
Hi Steve, I have now edited my original post with a picture of the 100 page hardback book written about the restoration. More pics are on PistonHeads.
Derek Sharp
Series 2 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#28 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by mystery type » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#29 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by malcolm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Nice car, but still seems a bit rich at £120k
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#30 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by chrisfell » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:31 pm

This car has been for sale before. I don’t think it will sell to anyone who knows E-Types. Not at twice the value of a properly concours car (ie an original U.K. car with no modifications and a full history folder).

I thought I’d check the video of the engine being tested as mentioned in the description. No dice. Hmmmm!

I wish the seller good luck and hope the buyer doesn’t hope to resell any time soon. I’m sure they’ll feel sick if they do.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Brucey
Great Britain

#31 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by Brucey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:39 pm

I agree with Chris re correct nomenclature etc. There is such a wealth of information out there that I am still surprised that owners do not know the difference between the various models!

Regarding value: obviously a LHD car is worth less than a RHD in the UK. Different if being sold in a LHD market. It would be interesting to know if the carbs. were a retro fit or original. I have seen some LHD none USA spec. cars on triple SUs.

In my view £50k value if the paperwork is all there and correct.

Not a lot about at the moment!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MCY44H
Great Britain

#32 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by MCY44H » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 am

Yes, there's not much about. Tracking the auction houses, I found only 6 were sold this year so far (2 UK, 3 US and 1 AUT) versus 9 last year (5 UK, 4 US). Prices this year have been in a range £29-42K with a median of £36k. That said, these were not pristine examples.

Brucey's comment about LHD/RHD intrigued me so I ran the numbers through the database. Of the 40 S1 2+2 auction sales I have since 2012, the LHD prices in the UK run on average at about 11% less than the RHD examples.

JonM
JonM
1965 Series I FHC (RHD), BRG
1970 Series II OTS (LHD) Fast Road spec, BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#33 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by tim wood » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:57 pm

I sold my series 1 2+2 last autumn via car and classic.
Placed the advert at 7pm and had to turn the phone off at 10pm.
Had a number of viewings but sold to the first guy at the asking price of mid 40s. The car was excellent bodily and even more so mechanically. A genuine RHD car. Possibly needed repainting - Which the new owner did but otherwise nothing needed. Structurally very good.

Maybe I could have asked for more but needed the funds to move to my OTS purchase.
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MaroonV12
Great Britain

#34 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by MaroonV12 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:02 am

I have a couple of points about the bonnet and eBay purchasing

I bought 2 LHD 2+2s last year from US on Ebay. It was a whole new experience importing for me.
I bought a 73 V12 auto numbers matching and a 66 S1 manual numbers matching.
Both were original cars with absolutely no corrosion and original floors sills etc. The S1 had a colour change in the past and had suffered a few dents during its long term storage.
So for me, I am pleased to say the experience was a positive one (I paid £23k for each....bargains I feel)
The V12 I restored to roadworthy within 4 months and i am still restoring the S1 (more mechanical work on this one). I did find evidence of rear quarter repair on the S1which was a disappointment, but not unusual I think.

This brings me onto the second point......
My 66 S1 also has the open headlights but all other S1 characteristics (toggle switches, single fan, triple su)
I suspect that whatever incident caused the rear quarter repair also damaged the front. I am also guessing that the owner received a replacement bonnet as either,
A they couldn't get a new closed headlight bonnet at the time, or
B, saw it as an upgrade at the time (a facelift)

Of note however, is that the chrome surrounds for the lights are different to the S2. They are shorter.

Anyway, it is my intention to reinstall covered during the restoration process. Unless you are fortunate enough to have spoken with the original owner, there appears to be no way to find out which bonnet the later S1 should have from official records. Its certainly not on the heritage certificate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vikla
Great Britain

#35 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by vikla » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:33 am

Clausager's Factory Original book says that for the USA and Canada markets the change to open headlights was from chassis 1E77010 for S1 2+2s and this was from Jan 67.
Steve
S1 4.2 FHC 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#36 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by Durango2k » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:54 am

Yeah,

Very simple, what you bought is an early S1.5 which is sometimes called an S1.25.

Same with my car - S1 car but S 1.5 bonnet. Believe me, your bonnet was made as an S1 bonnet, but they used a hacksaw in the factory to cut out the lip you need for S1 glasses, and put a thin chrome strip on the cut.

You can weld on a set of lips which Chuck at MM does sell - plus the inner parts like different diaphragm panels for the lamps - it will be costly, say a grand, but then you can convert it to an S 1 bonnet.

I did exactly that, but if needed, I‘d prefer not to hacksaw this thread, lets open a new one on that specific topic if you want (I ran a thread on it, maybe search and read ?).

However, in my case it became clear that my bonnet did not belong to my car I think. It had an accident, and PO in the past swapped the bonnet, but used an S1.5 bonnet, for unknown reasons. But as he also used gluey tinfoil plus bondo to repair the sills and painted all the interior with a black rattle can, what should I say.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#37 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by christopher storey » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:05 am

Durango2k wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:54 am

Very simple, what you bought is an early S1.5 which is sometimes called an S1.25.

I doubt whether it is quite so simple. If your car really is a 1966 one, then it cannot be an s1.5 or 1.25. The chassis no will tell you, and you can probably get an idea of build date by checking it against the list of cars on xkedata

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#38 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by Durango2k » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:32 pm

...He writes „66 S1“ and just below you see a Clausager quote saying „from January 67“ and this brought me to my conclusion.

Lets wait for the chassis ID.

But I think a solid driver at 23 k pounds is cheap. Really. Ask me how much work it is to get a wreck there. I‘ll have put around the same money into mine which I bought ten yrs agor for 9 k pounds, but then I put 10 yrs of freetime work into it...

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
RobertGrieve
Great Britain

#39 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by RobertGrieve » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:05 pm

It strikes me there are so many differences. My car is 1E75791 (original on this post) so falls just before the catagory of having factory fitted open headlights. However when I imported it I recall it also had, toggle dash, polished camcovers BUT a series 2 rad with twin fan. Odd, but I understand cars around that build were a bit mix and match.

Agreed £23k is cheap for a driving car. Mine actually was exactly that and it was in this state:

1966 Series 1 2+2 (LHD), Manual, AC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MaroonV12
Great Britain

#40 Re: Series 1 2+2 values

Post by MaroonV12 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:31 am

Timing is everything when buying at a good price. I negotiated and bought during the run up to Xmas (mid November) so the sellers were short of purchasers and I could afford to buy at a time of year when most are focussed on the Xmas costs. They were bargains....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic