Front bumper body mounting holes.

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Front bumper body mounting holes.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi,
Can someone help me with a question regarding the holes in the bodywork for the front bumper mounting.
I can’t remember when I took them off (2 years ago now) how the bumpers attached. From the kit supplied by sng, there are wedge and cone shaped spacers, which I am happy I know where they go. There are also bolts that I’m assuming bolt from the inside. However, the body holes are just that - holes. Should there be anything like a bracket with tapped or cage/welded nut to support the bolt? I don’t appear have anything?
Tia
Richard
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Front bumper body mounting holes.

Post by abowie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Just use a big washer.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#3 Re: Front bumper body mounting holes.

Post by Jeremy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Richard, I recall that the SNG kit had lots of bits for which I couldn't find a use - e. g. captive nut cages. IIRC my bumpers all had the original nuts welded onto the brackets at the tail ends and the threads were good. Anyway, what you use will depend on the fit of your bumpers to the body. The wedge spacers go at the front, thick end downwards, to stop the bumpers drooping, and the conical spacers at the side. In my case I had to grind the spacers down to get the right fit. Then it was just a matter of using the right length bolts, and big washers behind the body. Lots of trial and error and patience needed! Those bumpers get really heavy after a while! There are various threads here detailing bumper fitting joys and woes... :banghead: :dance:
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#4 Re: Front bumper body mounting holes.

Post by rswaffie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Thanks Andrew & Jeremy,
Big washers it is then!
And lots of patience.
And masking tape.
Wish me luck🤞
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#5 Re: Front bumper body mounting holes.

Post by abowie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:00 am

Jeremy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:31 pm
Lots of trial and error and patience needed! Those bumpers get really heavy after a while
Yes this job is a pain in the arse.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#6 Re: Front bumper body mounting holes.

Post by rfs1957 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:05 am

Hi Richard,

My bonnet has captive-nut plates that are, themselves, held in place by the same 1/4 UNF bolts that assemble the upper and lower panels of the bonnet.

They are visible in some of the pictures on this thread.

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... er#p100068

I think it would be a mistake to assume that you HAVE to use such-and-such a curved wedge in one place and such-and-such a conical spacer in another.

The vagaries of bonnet shape and bumper shape seem so wide that I found it better to concentrate on what the car looked like, overall, seen from all angles, and use/modify/manufacture whatever-shaped spacers were necessary to optimise these alignments. I did use the alloy wedges, but had to considerably modify them.

The difficulty obviously comes from the fact that their contact patch is very small, so minor changes to thickness make for big changes in alignment and appearance.

Lord help me from ever having a front-shunt, I don't think I can face ever having to do this job again.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#7 Re: Front bumper body mounting holes.

Post by Jeremy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 am

rfs1957 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:05 am
I think it would be a mistake to assume that you HAVE to use such-and-such a curved wedge in one place and such-and-such a conical spacer in another.

The vagaries of bonnet shape and bumper shape seem so wide that I found it better to concentrate on what the car looked like, overall, seen from all angles, and use/modify/manufacture whatever-shaped spacers were necessary to optimise these alignments. I did use the alloy wedges, but had to considerably modify them.

The difficulty obviously comes from the fact that their contact patch is very small, so minor changes to thickness make for big changes in alignment and appearance.
:yeahthat:

Rory is dead right. It's not about using the "correct bits", it's about picking and adapting those bits to give you the best possible positioning. I took a long time grinding the wedges to exactly the correct (slightly curved) profile as I found the slightest error was hugely magnified when I offered up the bumper. One of them ended up like a knife edge at the thin end. In any event they were both too thick.
Then getting the little extension pieces to fit into the sides of the mouth, and align the overriders - that was a whole new story... :santa:
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#8 Re: Front bumper body mounting holes.

Post by rswaffie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks chaps
I seen to remember that when I did the rear bumpers, one side used the spacers, but the other side didn’t and the gaps were the same each side when done!
At least I’ve got an assortment for the front, whether I end up using them or not.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic