Jaguar British Racing Green

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Jaguar British Racing Green

Post by andrewh » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:16 pm

as we all know I am sure, there are many different shades of BRG. I am specifically trying to get a good copy of HDJ254 which is the colour used by Jaguar from about 1973 to 1980. This is for my 1976 XJS which is proving hard to replicate in solvent. Most tinters were reformulated without the noxious materials in the early 2000s and this has changed colours quite a lot in some cases . Has anyone been through the same with their series 3 E types and found a good copy of the original paint shade? I have tried Autopaints in Brighton who supply PPG ( old ICI ) which is not bad but a good few shades off the original paint uncovered in various places where it has not been seen since 1976. Any help much appreciated Andrew
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tbob
United States of America

#2 Re: Jaguar British Racing Green

Post by Tbob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 pm

My experience as a painter has been that PPG and other top tier suppliers have always been able to replicate a paint shade exactly. Did you apply their color and find it to be incorrect? Wanting to educate myself...
Bob t

LHD '69 OTS. (Former) basket case

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Jaguar British Racing Green

Post by andrewh » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:39 pm

hi Bob, the first sample that was supplied pre mixed to my painter is not correct to the car. I have uncovered various painted areas that have been hidden from the light, plus the Mark 1 eyeball I am possessed with has a very accurate recollection of the correct colour from back in the day. What has been uncovered is correct, what has come from the formulation is incorrect. If I could unbolt an item of good paint as a sample I could take it to the painter to analyse but sadly I cannot find anything that fits that bill. Best area on my XJS was behind the black vinyl C pillar trim which is pretty much perfect as the day it was painted. Because I know the tinters were all changed at the turn of the century these colours get lost and altered. Not keen to spray it knowing its not correct , hence I am interested in any other suppliers who have a mix that is correct. I have been told about a mobile analyser so maybe thats the way to go !
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Jaguar British Racing Green

Post by mgcjag » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi Andrew...there are hand held colour analysers....i would have thought a good spray shop would have one..there are even gadgets and mobile apps you can try....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#5 Re: Jaguar British Racing Green

Post by andrewh » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks Steve. I shall do some googling over a nice glass of wine!.. well it is xmas.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic