Gear Box top removal advice

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
keithmac
Canada

#1 Gear Box top removal advice

Post by keithmac » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Has anyone done this ?
I have way to much play in the shifter lever and not enough resistance from the detent springs. ( It shakes enough to pop out of 3rd ) Box has just been rebuilt and is now in the car.
Forensic mechanics shows the box may have been dropped at some time and broke of the shifter mount which was then welded back on. Goodness knows what other damage was done inside by the impact ( you can see the weld in this photo from last year )
I do not wish to attempt this and have springs and detent balls drop to the bottom of the box. That would ruin my day.
Access is easy enough to the top bolts with the box in the car.
Thoughts?
1967 S1.25 OTS, 1952 MG TD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Gear Box top removal advice

Post by angelw » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:49 pm

keithmac wrote:
I do not wish to attempt this and have springs and detent balls drop to the bottom of the box. That would ruin my day.
Hello Keith
Apart for springs and detent balls and rollers in the synchro hubs (and they certainly won't fall out when taking the top cover off), there is only one spring and detent in the Top Cover, that being for the Reverse Shifter Rod. Its impossible for that to fall out until the Shifter Rod is removed from the Top Cover and that can't be done by accident.

The Gearbox and the Selector Forks in the Top Cover need to be in Neutral when removing and replacing the Top Cover. The following pictures shows the position of the external ends of the Selector Rods when Neutral is selected.

Regards,

Bill
Last edited by angelw on Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
keithmac
Canada

#3 Re: Gear Box top removal advice

Post by keithmac » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks Bill !
Much appreciated advice

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#4 Re: Gear Box top removal advice

Post by PeterCrespin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:54 pm

The snapped top lug has happened twice on boxes shipped to me. When welded back together the hole for the selector quadrant can be a fraction too high, leaving the tip of the quadrant out of position and partly out of the slots in the rods. I had to build the quadrant up with weld to make it 'longer' but still correctly rounded to move through the correct arc while fully engaged. Top was my hard position though, not third.

The other thing worth checking is the number and sequence of Tufnol washers, plain washers and flat spring on both the lever to quadrant pivot and quadrant to top cover pivot. The correct layout is in the parts book drawing and puts everything in snug position with minimal slop.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
keithmac
Canada

#5 Re: Gear Box top removal advice

Post by keithmac » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:39 am

Thanks Peter
Interesting to hear that this breakage problem has happened to you - twice ! Yes , I have verified the spacer and washer sequence. Welding was the plan but I am undecided if it will be the quadrant or the slots of the 1/2 and 3/4 that the quadrant fits in that get built up with weld. The odd thing is, when the shifter is in reverse , there is virtually no play. So I am thinking if I weld the quadrant , then the selector will not fit in reverse.
I will report back with more info when I get the lid off the gear box and take a closer look. Just working on dropping the IRS today.
Cheers and Merry Christmas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic