Arriving at destination smelling like a spark plug.

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#1 Arriving at destination smelling like a spark plug.

Post by FHCINSC » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:47 am

Well, I’m happy that I’m getting to my destinations! But I usually arrive smelling like combustion. I have new headers, a new exhaust and new heater box. I’m actually still learning the air controls on the dash. I just don’t recall having a car that had this much combustion odor in the cabin. Is this normal or what should I look at?
Thanks
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#2 Re: Arriving at destination smelling like a spark plug.

Post by Mark Gordon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:50 am

Nope, not normal. Perhaps a leak around the exhaust headers or down pipe being diffused into the passenger compartment?
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phil.dobson@mac.com
Great Britain

#3 Re: Arriving at destination smelling like a spark plug.

Post by phil.dobson@mac.com » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:00 am

definitely not normal. check all the bulkhead penetrations. those that are nor used must have plugs and those that are should have proper grommets. also the gearlever should be seal via various pieces of insulation. Obviously as per the previous post this assumes that you don't have an exhaust leak.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Arriving at destination smelling like a spark plug.

Post by cactusman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:10 am

As others have said not right. You have an exhaust leak somewhere. I'd start with the seals between the exhaust manifolds and down pipes. There is a compression ring inside that seals (or leaks!!). Failing that an exhaust manifold gasket, loose exhaust manifold, cracked manifold or damaged or corroded exhaust pipe somewhere along its run right to the rear of the car. Tape a small square of tissue paper to some stiff wire and hold it to all the joints while the engine is running. Leaks cause tell tale twitching but do this OUTSIDE and not in a garage. Leaks also give a chuff sound sometimes. Good luck and hope you find the leak.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: Arriving at destination smelling like a spark plug.

Post by christopher storey » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:18 am

In a FHC there is a significant low pressure /turbulent area in the region of the tailgate. If the tailgate seal is defective this can result in exhaust fumes being sucked into the car interior. In addition to the checks that others have suggested, I suggest you check this area carefully

Incidentally the easiest check for exhaust leaks is to use a small tube stuck in the ear with the open end then put close to all joints. A leak will be unmistakable

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#6 Re: Arriving at destination smelling like a spark plug.

Post by FHCINSC » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:22 am

Amazing responses. Thank you all very much and yes I know I have an issue with the rear hatch because I’m getting water in the luggage area when I wash the car and also because it vibrates when I’m driving. I presume my latch is not adjusted well and it was on my short list to fix.
I bet the hatch is a key factor here, but I will check for grommets and check for leaks as recommended.
Thanks
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic