Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Motoring Writer
Great Britain

#1 Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Motoring Writer » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Hello from Surrey everyone.
I used to own an E-Type from 1971 to 1985 when I sold it. I lost the name and address of the buyer. I recently came across some period photos that I know the current owner would much appreciate.
It would also be nice to meet the current owner and see how my old car is getting on after some many decades.
The car is a Series 1 DHC. Colour Blu. Current reg is XKE 75. It resides in the Leicester area.
It is road legal with tax, insurance and Mot carried out at Continental Motors of Leicester. It covers approx 100 miles per year.
Any info most welcome, or pass my contact details on to the owner. Thanks everyone. Email: info@roberto-giordanelli.com

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Heuer » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:20 pm

According to the JDC Directory of Owners and Cars it is car number #850192 and the original registration was 828 WFM. I see your post on XKEdata is:

"All the images on the XK Data website regarding 850192 are my photos and my copyright. I would be grateful if they could be removed from the website asap. This represents a legal obligation."

With that attitude I doubt anyone here will be willing to help you in your search as we would not want to infringe on any part of your (valueless) copyright! On this Forum we share ideas, skills and indeed photos without legal threats.
:thumbdown:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Gfhug » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:08 am

:yeahthat:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by christopher storey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I happen to know where this car is and who owns it. In view of your attitude, Giordanelli, I have not the faintest intention of letting you have any information , and would not do so even if the owner would permit it. For a motoring journalist, you seem to have a very strange approach to this matter.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#5 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Mark Gordon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Christopher, if his interest in uniting the current owner with the photos is truly altruistic, how about having him send the photos to you so that you could forward them to said current owner. I won't hold my breath until that happens.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#6 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by abowie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:25 am

Come on guys give the man a chance!
The issue of copyright for amateur and indeed professional photographers is one that generates strong feeling.
I spent many years having my underwater photos ripped off and used without any attribution or payment so I can sympathise with him.
What he's offering here, as opposed to elsewhere may be straight up and we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

edriver
Germany

#7 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by edriver » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:26 am

Roberto,

that was a bad start to what I hope could still have a Happy End!
In a few days I am going celebrate my 1st year as a member of this forum and I have enjoyed it very much. I am just mentioning this, because I do not think that I am an authority in what’s wrong or right for this forum.

I personally want to welcome you to this forum! I cannot be sure of your intentions about contacting the current owner of 850192, but I am sure that you could share a lot of history with him. If you still want to buy it back or just share pictures (with or w/o pay), I think the current owner has a right to know and he could still say „no“, if Christopher would let (only) him know.
As for the pictures of your Ex on XKEdata.com, we are now all aware of the missing credits, but I would hope that you share exactly these pictures (and many more) with us, if your buy-back turns out successful. BTW, I also would like to read more about the 400HP turbo.

´nough said, but to all of my fellow forum members, you may want to have a look at Roberto‘s website
http://www.roberto-giordanelli.com/
before making a judgement in this case.

Have a Happy New Year
Klaus
1963 FHC 889633, 1979 Porsche 928, 1991 Mazda MX-5

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#8 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by chrisfell » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:38 am

:yeahthat:

In the spirit of goodwill and all that guff.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#9 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by christopher storey » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:52 am

abowie wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:25 am
Come on guys give the man a chance!
The issue of copyright for amateur and indeed professional photographers is one that generates strong feeling.
I spent many years having my underwater photos ripped off and used without any attribution or payment so I can sympathise with him.
What he's offering here, as opposed to elsewhere may be straight up and we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
I'm afraid that any cooperation by me is not going to happen. The original poster made two entries on xkedata in September and November 2017 wanting to buy the car back . Suddenly, he wants to send pictures to the present owner, and on the same day he makes a third vitriolic post on the xkedata website. Strange behaviour by any standards

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#10 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:29 am

There's a lot of tough talk going on here all of which I can understand but find pointless. Let's just leave it all to fizzle out, as it surely will. I don't imagine the car will be returning to Mr Giordanelli's garage any time soon.

As for copyright issues, I wonder who owns the copyright on the magazine article that has been photographed and placed on XKEdata.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#11 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Heuer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:42 am

As the copyright is vested in the photographer I am not sure how Mr Giordanelli can claim the rights when he is featured in the photographs in an era before 'selfies'. If the owner of XKE 75 wants copies of the photos for his personal collection then right clicking the images on XKEdata allows "save as" to a PC and they can then be edited, enhanced and printed off.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#12 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Gfhug » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:45 pm

As the Case for the Prosecution has been presented, can the defendant or his counsel present their case?
Maybe he can present himself in a manner that the jury can appreciate his side and come to agree with him and help?
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Motoring Writer
Great Britain

#13 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Motoring Writer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:55 pm

I can see how this has caused a stir and would like to describe what happened.
I was advised by a publisher that it would be prudent to remove two of the photos from the XK Data page on my old car. Regretfully and unwisely I complied. For simplicity, I used the XK Database’s legal jargon requesting all the images be removed. Those who know me will confirm that I am the polar opposite of a litigious person.

Regarding a previous comment about buying the car back, much as I would like to do so, I have an alternative project, but I do have some history that the current owner would appreciate. It would also be nice to meet him/her and to see how my old car is getting on. My apologies to those who were upset. I understand how it transpired. Mea culpa.

On a separate subject, I am looking at a restoration project to build an pre-63 racing E-Type.
Someone also mentioned the wide-bodied Modsports Turbo E-Type that I built in 1975/6; early days for turbo cars…. When the Modsports Racing Association heard about it, they banned turbochargers. I have photos of it testing at Brands Hatch. This is long story for another time.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#14 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Gfhug » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:34 pm

Well I'm happy to hear further from you Roberto. You'll see that the forum is one of, if not the, friendliest and we are always happy to learn more about your cars and experiences. You seem happy to eat humble pie which has brightened my thoughts of you.

Tell us more. Perhaps share a photo or two of the car and this project?

Geoff
Last edited by Gfhug on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#15 Re: Li agree geoff..let's move on from litigeouooking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by cactusman » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:45 pm

I agree Geoff. Let's all move on from litigation....good will to all I say. Hopefully the current owner will make contact and the story will end well....Mean time happy New year to all..... :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#16 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Heuer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Thank you Roberto for putting things in perspective. Hopefully you will see your car again.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#17 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by AussieEtype » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 am

Magazines and papers rarely own the copyright on pics they use - they also rarely pay for them either for routine stuff and if an issue arises deal with it then.

I was publishing a government document and wanted to use a pic that was published in a national news paper and they were going to charge us to use it - we were about to through with the purchase when one of my staff said he actually took the pic for work purposes and had deemed the copyright to be owned by us - the paper had just lifted it from our corporate pic gallery with no payment or acknowledgement. We used it and the paper threatened us until we pointed out they had illegally used it - all quiet.

The reality is that if something ends up on the web you really do lose control of copyright. If you google Haflinger pics you will see pics of my vehicle there -from posts on various forums - all mine and not right but that is how it is.

Unfortunately when published on the web, in reality copyright is lost and only those with deep pockets can contest.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#18 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:20 am

Fair enough. Photography copyright has long been a contentious issue. My question was really about the copyright in the article, not the pictures used in it.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#19 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Sarthe72 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:44 am

I've been writing Jaguar articles for over 30 years now, and many - if not all - of my photos have been ripped off at one time or another. If you publish on the internet, you know it will happen and just grit your teeth and accept it. Here's one that seems to crop up time and again, but there is no point in complaining. I'm pleased it has givern people some pleasure.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#20 Re: Looking for my old E-Type reg "XKE 75"

Post by Richardhealey » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Boy, what a cool picture! :drinkingcheers:
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic