Engine paint Colour

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mgman
Great Britain

#1 Engine paint Colour

Post by mgman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am

It may seem trivial, but I find that I need to remove the engine from my 69 2+2. Since it is such a performance to extract it (not the trivial bit). I would like to repaint it before re-planting it. At present all parts other than the head are matt (ish) black. The head appears gold in colour.

Any guidance please

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Engine paint Colour

Post by christopher storey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am

Except for the very early cars , Gold was the standard head colour up until ( about ) the introduction of the S2, which I assume yours is, at which point the heads were left as natural aluminium . I have always thought the blocks were shiny black , and they certainly look nicer shiny rather than satin . However, since your head is already gold, getting the paint off could be a messy business of doubtful success, and so my inclination would be to repaint it gold. I brush paint mine with Plastikote, available from hobby /DIY shops

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Engine paint Colour

Post by mgman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks,

A previous owner replaced the engine with one from an earlier car. I have been told that the number 7E3436-9 is from a series 1. I will need to know when I set it up as the cam clearances changed somewhere in the production and there may be other differences to look out for.
Stuart

1969 e type 2+2
1932 MG Montlery replica
1936 MG TA
1954 MG TF

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic