Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
JJC
United States of America

#1 Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by JJC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:14 am

Here is a little bar trivia for you E type lovers. The blue Series 1 Jaguar OTS, now currently on display on the fourth floor at New York's Museum of Modern Art, was not bought by the museum, it was donated by the owner, who was, (he passed away) also the owner of a great sports car repair shop in Northern New Jersey, only 30 minutes from mid-town Manhattan. I fact, only a few years ago, the man who donated the Jag tried to get it back, as he discovered the museum had never titled the car. It was sorted out in court, and the Jag now resides comfortably up on the fourth floor, for all to admire. The placard in front of the display correctly states,"Made possible by Jaguar", which of course is accurate because Jaguar did build the car. However, there was never any transaction between the factory and the Museum. Worth a look when you visit NYC.

JJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E600
Great Britain

#2 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by E600 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:02 am

I don’t think it’s an interesting enough factoid to warrant 3 entries. :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 am

Other 2 posts now deleted...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JJC
United States of America

#4 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by JJC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 am

Thank you Steve. Indeed, not worth posting more then once.....my mistake.Not sure how I did that.

JJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#5 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Posting three times was the least of your mistakes. Taking us for fools was much worse.

I have just come across this thread and I'm wondering if you make a habit of peddling fact-free forum contributions John?

Unfortunately for you, I just got off the phone with the supposed dead owner. I called him because I generally try to confirm my info before posting here. As suspected, he confirmed that pretty much every line of your post is spectacularly wrong. Your post is to truth what saccharin is to honey: entirely synthetic, devoid of any wholesome ingredients and designed to give the only the illusion of tastefulness.

Jerry Wise is not from New Jersey, never ran a sportscar shop and isn't dead.

When MoMA first decided they wanted to add an E-Type to their permanent collection (not borrow one for a temporary show) they first approached Ford who owned Jaguar at the time. Ford put them in touch with Jaguar North America. Mike Dale (Jag President at the time) worked with a guy called Miller in charge of PR and contacted JCNA to see if any members were interested in selling a good example. Jerry Wise's car was selected from the short list, Jaguar paid him for it and then donated it to MoMA.

Nobody has ever tried to get it back. There has been no court case and the title is not in dispute.

Even your recommendation to go and see the car is largely wrong. The E-Type is one of nine MoMA cars (and counting). By definition, therefore, it is way more likely to be one of the others on display. Any day now it will be their Fiat 500.... The E-Type has been there but will probably not be out for a year, probably two. I couldn't get a human operator to confirm but if the press office gets back I will post accurate info. People most definitely need to check for themselves before taking your advice, to avoid disappointment.

EDIT: MoMA say:
"Thank you for your outreach and interest! Not currently on view and we do not have any immediate plans to put it on view." AKA anyone schlepping up to W 53rd in the next year or two will find a nice museum
but no E-type. I'd guess 2021 maybe? Only took a 30 second email.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#6 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Mich7920 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:52 pm

Hep man !
Here we have Pete John Wayne ! :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: :drinkingcheers:
Last edited by Mich7920 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

oldak
United States of America

#7 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by oldak » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:10 pm

I was actually at MOMA today and the etype is not currently on display. However, there was live performance art. I may be the first
to ever post art on any Jag forum.

Greetings from across the pond.

Mike Oldak
67 series 1
Bethesda, MD USA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JJC
United States of America

#8 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by JJC » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Peter: You are 1000% wrong, and I can prove it.. You, however can not prove one word of your story. Willing to put your money where your mouth is ??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JJC
United States of America

#9 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by JJC » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:58 pm

FYI: The Jag is in the MOMA warehouse in Astoria, as are other artifacts that are often rotated in and out of display from the midtown location. In fact, anyone can make arrangements to visit the Jag, when they are in NYC. Any other statement of mis-facts you wish to share ??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Green
United States of America

#10 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Geoff Green » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 am

Here is a list of cars the museum has:

Airstream
Cisitalia
Ferrari 641
Jaguar E-Type
Volkswagen Beetle
Willys MB
Smart (automobile)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#11 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:34 am

"Peter: You are 1000% wrong, and I can prove it.. You, however can not prove one word of your story. Willing to put your money where your mouth is ??"

I'm not interested in pursuing this MoMA thing down a steamy New York sewer, John, but wearily deliver the coup de grace you demand. Being limited by logic to only the usual 100 percent, I suppose I may be starting at a disadvantage if numeracy is optional.

I already told you what Jerry Wise (a living Florida realtor, not a dead New Jersey sportscar dealer) said when I called him, but yesterday, without me asking, he sent a 4Mb pdf parcel of documents. Sadly, it is over the 2Mb attachment limit here. I have forwarded the bundle to David Jones but in the meantime:

'Exhibit A' is a vehicle information record on Jaguar letterhead, dated 14 July '92 (equivalent to a Heritage Certificate today) from archivist Karen Miller to Jerry. This obviously establishes he already owned the car at least four years before the events in question.

Then comes a letter on Jaguar letterhead from Jean Hill, Jaguar Media Support Coordinator, thanking Jerry for cooperating on the MoMA project and asking him to sign and date the sale form and fax it back to her.
The relevant Ford letterhead purchase order #0388-009977 dated 9 Feb 96 is there too, in which Ford authorize their Jaguar Cars Division to buy Jerry's car for $60,000, which Mike Dale and Jerry signed and dated.

Three days later there comes a Jaguar Cars remittance slip dated 12 Feb 96 that was attached to check number 000858644, in the amount of $60.000. For the avoidance of doubt, it states "Purchase of 1963 E-Type FOR DONATION TO NY MUSEUM OF MODERN ART (my emphasis).

Next day Jean Hill sends a letterhead note dated 13 Feb '96, thanking Jerry for his patience and saying how "...our enthusiasm for this project has grown."

There's a Jaguar letterhead PR release, from Mark Miller (Karen's husband and VP Public Affairs), dated 5 Mar 96. It was addressed to JCNA club presidents and newsletter editors thanking them for the widespread publicity in connection with the search for a suitable car and announcing the MoMA acquisition ceremony and reception due on 3 April, with the public granted access from April 4 to August 20.

Finally, there's a post-event Jaguar letter from Mike Dale, addressed to "Dear Jerry and Shirley" in which he states "I am delighted you could be part of Jaguar's great moment at the Museum of Modern Art.......You are indeed part of Jaguar's history now." According to you he got that tragically wrong. I have Mike's phone number down in Virginia. Do you want to tell him, or shall I?

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JJC
United States of America

#12 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by JJC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 am

Yup. Willing to make a wager.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#13 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Simon P » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:32 am

You don't keep an owl as a pet by any chance do you?
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#14 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Gfhug » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am

Simon, you've noticed the similarity, too? :wink:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#15 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Heuer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Peter

Many thanks for debunking another E-Type 'urban myth' or in this case a 'Fairy Tale of New York' (apologies to the Pogues!). Superb bit of investigation and worthy of including on the Forum for posterity.

That about closes the history of the MOMA car.

John

Can I suggest you send Peter $100 as the clear winner wager, if only to cover his costs in answering your questions? :police:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#16 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by malcolm » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Simon, Geoff - Sorry guys, I'm missing something and have to know. I assume you're referring to Harry Potter? Trying to think of the similarity between him and John (or JJ, or JC((???)), signature has morphed over time and gone now, so apologies if I've got the name wrong)
Harry Potter is of course tedious and boring, and doesn't act his age, but what similarities are we referring to? :shrug:
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#17 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Simon P » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:37 pm

PM sent
Last edited by Simon P on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#18 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Heuer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Keep it on topic please guys!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Whitact
Great Britain

#19 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Whitact » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Hope this is considered to be on topic in the wider sense but just a reminder (with thanks to Rory) that there is a solution:
http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=92462#p92462
Worked for me.
Cheers
Adrian Turner
S3 OTS & FHC
S1 FHC
XK140 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#20 Re: Museum of Modern Art Series 1 Jaguar

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Yep. Did that a couple of weeks ago after one of his other rants.
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic