Firewall holes

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Annivar
Canada

#1 Firewall holes

Post by Annivar » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:55 pm

I recently purchased a series 1 E-Type. It was sold to me as a 1964 but the chassis number dates it to 1962. As is often the case it has changed hands several times, is partially disassembled and several pieces are missing including the ID plate. Attached is a photo of the firewall with 4 holes marked. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what is supposed to go through these holes. Thanks.
[img][img]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... rewall.jpg[/img][/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Firewall holes

Post by 1954Etype » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:17 pm

On S2 cars, the 2 'blue' marked holes were for AC pipes IIRC. The smaller round hole could be for the reversing light wiring. Never seen the other one though! Very curious!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

Post by ChrisC » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:12 pm

As a slight aside - on my Series 1 - I MADE the right hand 'blue' hole because it allowed me to get a socket onto the bottom starter motor bolt... but I bow to others as why they are there from original.
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:23 pm

My car is a '61 and has the green marked hole with the grommit and I think its for the reverse light switch wires to come back into the cockpit.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

Post by ChrisC » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Seconded on the green hole its for the reversing light switch
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:07 pm

My Series 1 bodies had/have had only the central reversing light wire hole, which is also the best place for feeding a capillary tube through if fitting a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

My Series 2 body has the other three as per the phot for the AC plumbing connections, but blanked off at the factory (as a non AC car) with two large round and one larger oval blanking grommets. Seam sealer was also used. I believe all S2 cars have this arrangements as it was part of the reason they increased the bonnet mouth size and put a kink in the left air duct to miss the big square compressor fitted high front left in the engine bay (hence the large left side receiver/dryer and the oval grommet)

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Annivar
Canada

Post by Annivar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks for your responses. The large holes being for factory A/C makes sense. Attached is another photo from the rear showing the light openings (series 1 or 1 1/2). If I understand it correctly, air conditioning was rare before 1966. This car is supposed to be early to mid sixties. It has a 4.2l engine which I suspected was a replacement. The picture frame number is 887825. The engine number is 7E8889-9. It has the 3.8l intake manifold and water rail, a generator instead of alternator and when I removed the engine it was mated to an EB/JS gearbox with the early rubber buffer transmission mount. It also has the 3.8l brake servo and master cylinders. All these 3.8l parts suggested the date given for the car but I am now unsure. There are two small holes in the centre of the rear number panel which I suspect were for the now missing body number. I realize that most of these parts could be replacements but I would love to narrow down the vintage of this car. Please let me know if there are other areas to look at to help identify this model. Thanks again.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:09 pm

The under dash air vents were different on the S2 cars which means that the mounting hole centres are in a different place. Worthwhile measuring and posting results. I can confirm the S1 position. Can you post a picture of the front of the bulkhead? Have to say, it looks like you have a S2 bulkhead there. 887825 is the chassis number for a LHD FHC 1963 car.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Agree with Angus, it must be a bitsa. No shame in that, provided you didn't overpay. If it has the 3.8 servo etc the bulkhead will be very different from a 66 and yes, the body tag would have been there behind the number plate, so it's an anonymous shell without it. The bulkhead from the engine side is important for dating evidence, so a pic would be important.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Annivar
Canada

Post by Annivar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:54 pm

More pictures for the experts. First is the bulkhead from the front and second is the right under dash showing the heater door opening. The inner edge is about 20 cms from the midline. Same for the left opening. I assume that if this car was equiped with air conditioning the large opening to the right is for the evaporator unit.Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:21 pm

THis really looks like the 'Curates Egg' to me. It has the access hole on the RHS of the transmission tunnel for access to the starter motor. I think this was only on the 4.2 cars.

The two large holes on either side of the recessed squares are for the 3.8 bellows vacuum servo.

The heater flap holes look like Series 1.

Without seeing the car in the flesh, I would say that the additional, round holes in the transmission tunnel are not factory and that the bulkhead is either a very late 3.8 or very early 4.2 (based on the access hole for the starter motor looking standard).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ETTony
Great Britain

#12 Re: Firewall holes

Post by ETTony » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:10 am

Blue right hole.
Wire to starter motor, rpm wires, brake fluid level ? Wires to wiper motor, probably
Tony in Devon
1967 Series 1, 4.2, OTS, RHD, Black.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic