Protecting bonnet louver paint

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#1 Protecting bonnet louver paint

Post by FHCINSC » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello all. It is starting to warm up here in South Carolina and I noticed that after a drive that my exhaust side louvers are very hot to the touch...much more so than the carb side. The car is operating at a normal temperature but as it becomes 95°F here soon I would anticipate that things will get a lot hotter. I do have plans to recore my radiator.
The person who restored my car replaced the manifold with headers. I’m sure that that is contributing. I do have the shield in place for the brake fluid reservoir. Do people do anything else to protect the paint on the louvers?

Thanks as always for all advice received.
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul71a
Great Britain

#2 Re: Protecting bonnet louver paint

Post by Paul71a » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:35 am

Your manifolds will definitely be the issue here. That’s why the standard are a better bet.
Paul Brazier. S2 FHC 1970, silver with blue leather. Oh, and a S1 prototype Lotus Elise and a Ferrari 488 GTB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeMilton
Canada

#3 Re: Protecting bonnet louver paint

Post by MikeMilton » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:32 pm

I've ordered the classicfabs longtube headers and will be installing them towards the end of an ongoing restoration.

My plan (only time will tell if it is successful) is to use ceramic coating as a way to manage heat.

Providers make claims such as: "Our base ceramic coating will reduce surface temperatures up to 40%. This means significantly lower under hood temperatures"
Just an old guy living by a lake - with a 1969 E-Type FHC, and 1962 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

timhum
Great Britain

#4 Re: Protecting bonnet louver paint

Post by timhum » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:34 pm

The subject of ceramic coatings has been covered many times on various club forums. I've yet to see a conclusion that they live up to their claims but good luck.
Tim
Tim
1965 S1 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeMilton
Canada

#5 Re: Protecting bonnet louver paint

Post by MikeMilton » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:55 pm

timhum wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:34 pm
The subject of ceramic coatings has been covered many times on various club forums. I've yet to see a conclusion that they live up to their claims but good luck.
Tim
Yes... There will be as many stories as there are providers and customer expectation, and the specifics of the application will matter as well.

The discussion of headers has also seemed rather dismissive. People have likely been disappointed with specific designs and because other changes were not made as part of their initiative (ignition timing, carburetion, valve timing, etc). This should not be taken to imply that headers can be part of a performance solution. It does the readers here a disservice to simply be dismissive.

In this particular instance, if heat coatings (ceramic / and there are others) work at all, then they help.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MikeMilton
Canada

#6 Re: Protecting bonnet louver paint

Post by MikeMilton » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Just to add some empirical data, here are some measurements from a specific coating"

"A FEW TEMPERATURE READINGS, TAKEN AT DAYTONA MOTOR SPEEDWAY:

Below are the test parameters and results using both Jet-Hot Coatings® coated and uncoated headers:

(10 Laps; the same engine and car with identical headers; one header set is uncoated, one header is Jet Hot® coated. The engine is operated between 6,900 and 7,500 RPM, and temperatures are measured immediately after the last lap with the engine idling at 2,000 RPM with identical sustained EGT's of 850º F.)

MEASURED AT: JET-HOT® COATED NO COATING COATED DIFFERENCE
1" from engine 300º F. 750º F. - 450º F.
2" above header port 210º F. 300º F. - 90º F.
1" above floor pan (in car) 115º F. 165º F. - 50º F.

Pretty impressive difference! With any coating it is important to not damage the coating. The thermal coating becomes part of the header material. Most of the other coating brands are comparable to these figures ---as long as they are multi-layer, inside and outside of tube applied and using proper materials. NOTE: Most "inside" tube coating applications will not cover the entire inside of each tube, as they are limited by the length of the application wand. This is not a problem."

The article goes on to discuss the advantage of protecting the metal itself.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bfastr
United States of America

#7 Re: Protecting bonnet louver paint

Post by Bfastr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:49 am

timhum wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:34 pm
Tim

I dont know about the 40-50 PERCENT claimed, BUT, on my 69 S2 I did have the stock manifolds Jet Hot-ed and with no other changes to carbs, timing etc I am seeing about a 50 DEGREE drop across all cylinders.
measured at the same points using the same cheap infra-red thermometer, driven in the same ambient temps for about 30 minutes. so regardless of it's accuracy the temps are reading lower.
That was good enough for me, plus they still look as good as the day they came back 3 years ago.
Bob F

69 S2 E-type OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic