Door mirrors

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Leekade
Great Britain

#1 Door mirrors

Post by Leekade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:15 pm

I’ve recently bought some Tex mirrors from one of the big E Type spares retailers that purported to be for the S3. I tried to position the driver’s side and realised, after about an hour, that, unless I built out from the car to effectively tilt the top of the mirror housing away from the car, I would not be able to see anything other than the window and the side of the vehicle.

I rang the retailer and was told that other people had complained about this too. Furthermore, if I paid another £24 plus VAT per mirror, I could have the mirrors with longer arms... I would need to send back the useless mirrors, at my cost, and pay the additional sum (presumably with another postage charge). Two things bother me: if I order the longer-armed versions, how do I know they’ll actually function?; and why, knowing the other mirrors are practically useless, are they sold by reputable retailers?

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for door mirrors (other than don’t bother!), as I think they are essential in modern-day traffic conditions?

Adrian
Adrian
1971 Series 3 2+2 RHD manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Door mirrors

Post by malcolm » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:18 pm

I used fosseway. First ones were faulty, but they exchanged at their cost. The brackets were slightly too wide for my window frames, but after a gentle hacksaw, they fit great and are steady.
Realise mine isn't a S3, but as a S2 2+2, the fit should be the same.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Leekade
Great Britain

#3 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Leekade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks, Malcolm, I’d not seen those before and they seem better value than the first ones I’d purchased. I’ll investigate those further.

Cheers, Adrian
Adrian

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#4 Re: Door mirrors

Post by JJC » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 pm

Adrian : No need to fuss, Get the correct remote control mirror originally fitted to Series 3 E-Types. Both SNG and XK's Unlimited list them.....BD-40822. Been using them on my Jag for over 45 years in NYC....haven't hit a thing !! Look great, and make all other mirrors look useless or dated. Check them out .....think you will be pleased,

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#5 Re: Door mirrors

Post by vee12eman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi,
This was discussed sometime back. If the Tex mirrors you’re referring to are the bolt on, “swan neck” design as opposed to those that clamp on the door frame, then they simply did not work without some modifications, from memory a small wedge placed in between the mirror and the mount. Of course, Tex may have changed the design since then. I am not familiar with the “longer arms” so I can’t comment. Tex also sell models which use the same mirror head as the original mirrors as offered by Jaguar on early S3 cars and which clamp the door frame. I chose these and they are fine, except they have a tendency to get knocked and need to have the ball joint very tight to stop them being moved by the slipstream at speed. They need a minor mod to the clamp to allow them to sit fully inside the window channel, around 3-5 mm cut from the inner portion to allow the clamp to seat fully.

I contacted Julian at SNG about this. He replied they didn’t use the Tex mirror, but in response to comments from other users, SNG modified their version of the original mirror (a bolt on version of the swan neck style, the same as the original). This involved a new washer at the ball joint which allowed more movement of the head. He sent me a sample and the arm was definitely different from the Tex unit I had bought earlier. I offered it against the car and it allows me to get the mirror head in a good location and should work well. I don’t have a pair so can’t confirm the fit of the passenger side but I expect it would be good. I had by now decided I liked the clamp on units, and did not use the new SNG design. I am sure it would work and I have since seen an original unit which looks just like the SNG version, allowing the mirrors to sit well.

The unit John refers to are also good and also available from SNG. They are remote (non electric) and work well. However, some find them a little less attractive, they are fairly expensive and the remote mechanisms require modifications to the inside of the door structure and the door trim. They are non original for early S3s and all S2s, whereas the other design is correct for the early S3 and I think the S2 as well. It’s personal choice and depends if you want originality.

More information here:
http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... +3+mirrors

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... +3+mirrors

Regards,

Simon
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#6 Re: Door mirrors

Post by JJC » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Right on Simon.....didn't start with the first batch of Series 3, and never saw them on a Series 2, but who knows ! Not such a headache with the remote cable, but important to note that with the BD-40822, it helps to track down the correct door card in order to mount the remote lever, and its chrome surround. Correct stock look, but not an absolute necessity. I remember way back when, after I purchased my car, we purchased thru Jaguar, a mirror and door card for a right hand car (built for you chaps) to mount on my USA car. So I have one of the rare US built cars with mirrors on both sides ! I have seen a few, but rare. Indeed , it is a matter of taste, but after 45 years, and countless bumps and scrapes avoided by having a right side mirror in NYC, I have grown to love them !!

Jc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Leekade
Great Britain

#7 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Leekade » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks for more great advice. I’ll have a ponder about drilling the door or using the Fosseway versions which don’t need it.

Cheers

Adrian
Adrian

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#8 Re: Door mirrors

Post by JJC » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:57 am

Question..... didn't Jaguar sell the car new with mirrors ? What happened to the holes ? Did I read that maybe the mirror was an option ? Perhaps, but I for one would never drive a car, any car, without mirrors mounted correctly on both sides of the car. What is the problem with a hole if its covered with mirror mount ?
On a Series 3, there are holes in the back lid, or trunk, that say Jag, E-Type, V12.....lots of little hole's, hole's on all 4 corners if the car has the ugly side marker lights.....two hole's on each door for the door handles....hole for the radio antennae, etc. Please educate me.....why don't you want to drill a hole? Is it just a show car , or is it used as the ultimate, most beautiful road car as God and Jaguar designed ?
Happy Motoring !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Leekade
Great Britain

#9 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Leekade » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi JC

I don’t have a big problem with holes in the car though, if I could avoid having more of them, I will! If I have to drill holes, I’ll make sure they are as well-protected from rust as I can make them (which avoids using self-tapping screws which render any protection as useless). I agree, mirrors are essential for driving, which I want to do - safely!

Adrian
Adrian

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Adamski
Great Britain

#10 Re: Door mirrors

Post by Adamski » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Long stem Tex mirrors work well although I have non descript Paddy Hopkirk mirrors fitted on mine years ago. What I would say that driving in todays traffic conditions it is suicidal not having door mirrors. I tried it on another classic car and talk about people creeping up on your inside these days.
Adam
S3 V12 E Type FHC Manual 1972-owned since 1978
1957 XK150 since 1976

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic