Door Drain Hole Shroud

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#1 Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by Mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2019 7:20 am

Dear all,
The left door of my E OTS SIII does not have door drain hole shrouds. I neither find these drain shrouds in the original spare parts catalogue nor a supplier for them . Drain shrouds for SI are available from suppliers, e.g. SNG Barratt (BD20878/1) but they have a different design in comparison to the drain shrouds of my right door.
Does anyone know if the SI drain shroud fits to the SIII door or is there a source for SIII door drain hole shrouds available? Has anyone experience w/o door drain holes? So far I had no issues with water entering the interior of my car, but I have to admit that my E Type is not a daily driver.
Thanks and best regards
Holger
1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#2 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by JJC » Sun May 05, 2019 12:59 pm

If you have a door that does not drain, why not simply climb under with a proper drill and pop one or two holes in the door, cover edge of holes with a bit of waterproofing, and your done. What is the problem?.....please explain. Before you drill, of course, check to see if original holes are clogged, or perhaps covered over during a careless re-spray.

JJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#3 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by Mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi JJ,
That's not the question, the door drains well. My question is about the need / availability of the SHROUD.
Regards
Holger
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#4 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:20 am
Dear all,
The left door of my E OTS SIII does not have door drain hole shrouds. I neither find these drain shrouds in the original spare parts catalogue nor a supplier for them . Drain shrouds for SI are available from suppliers, e.g. SNG Barratt (BD20878/1) but they have a different design in comparison to the drain shrouds of my right door.
Does anyone know if the SI drain shroud fits to the SIII door or is there a source for SIII door drain hole shrouds available? Has anyone experience w/o door drain holes? So far I had no issues with water entering the interior of my car, but I have to admit that my E Type is not a daily driver.
Thanks and best regards
Holger
Holger,
I have them on one door and not the other. I rarely drive the car in the rain, so no issue.
However, I also haven't installed the rubber seal in the sill. The one that seals the bottom of the door. Once that is installed, you need the shrouds to allow the water to drain out of the door and not being caught by the seal and potentially get stuck in the door or enter the cabin.
I have bought a sheet of stainless steel and plan to make my own.
Drilling a hole in the bottom of the door will allow water to drain directly onto the sill and enter the cabin.
........ Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#5 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by JJC » Sun May 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Gotcha ! Thanks.

JJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Adamski
Great Britain

#6 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by Adamski » Sun May 05, 2019 9:53 pm

You mean those little bits of bent metal at door bottom holes. Drainage has never been right on my car since major rebuild in eighties. Water likes to go on inside of sill seal near the front even though I have them in place. I now just remove carpets and mats before washing and wipe out with sponge and old towel. Given up. May try new sill seals one day.
Adam
S3 V12 E Type FHC Manual 1972-owned since 1978
1957 XK150 since 1976

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rustyred
Australia

#7 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by Rustyred » Mon May 06, 2019 8:43 am

Some have them did and some don't. The passenger door on the one I did had them but the Drivers door didn't, maybe because they rusted off
You have to make sure the Sill Rubber has a rebate so the water can drain past the rubber, These little shrouds assist with the rubber clearance so water doesn't leak back into the car.
I just made lower door skins on a MK2 and rear doors had shrouds, front didn't but you could see where the rivets were in situ.
Restoring 73 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#8 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by Mephistopheles » Mon May 06, 2019 10:49 am

Hi Ole, Adam and John,
Thanks for sharing your experience.
After checking again one possible possible reason for the missing shrouds on my left door could be too small distance between the chrome strip of the sill and the door panel.... Taking into account that the door is well aligned with constant clearance the shrouds might become one of the task for next winter.
Regards
Holger
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JoeLondon
Great Britain

#9 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by JoeLondon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Did you ever get to a solution for this, is there an S3 shroud available? I have shrouds for an S1 randomly, obviously, they don't fit the S3.

My car is kept outside :( so footwell swimming pool is avoided by use of the revolutionary early Swedish designed, MK1 IKEA sill towel -

Does anyone have a picture of the S3 shroud? Measurements would be great, I see myself having to make these.
I'll come up with my own otherwise. might be a strong case for 3D printing a stick on part.
Joe
1972 S3 2+2 V12 Manual, FHC, British Rusting Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by mgcjag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi Joe...have a look at this post...photos of my S2 2+2 door and shroud....very simple piece of thin bent metal easy to make...i woukd think mine are the same or very similar to a S3 http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=4412
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JoeLondon
Great Britain

#11 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by JoeLondon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:30 am

Thanks Steve, I did see that post. They don't look too different to the S1 shrouds which I have.

So perhaps I was right in my first hunch when I looked at my doors, the drain is not the hole in the panel, but the raised bump near the door skin, the hole then is used for fixing the shroud.

Looks like I need to break out a paperclip and start poking about - for sure that tiny slot is all gunked up, and I may actually be able to modify the S1 shrouds to fit.

I notice on my car there is another hole and slot half way back along the door - near where the armrest is - should I be expecting to see another shroud there? That would be a lot of water in the door to need another drain that far "upstream".
Joe
1972 S3 2+2 V12 Manual, FHC, British Rusting Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by mgcjag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:54 am

Yes 2 per door as can be seen in the linked post....the red open door...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#13 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by 288gto » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:07 pm

As Steve says, dead easy to fabricate. I made a simple press tool that will do it in a vice for my S2 ones

Last edited by 288gto on Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#14 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by Mephistopheles » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi Joe
I have not found a supplier for the shrouds for series 3 (shrouds for series 1 and 2 -BD 20878- can be purchased from the usual suppliers). However, you can easily make them yourself; they have a simpler shape than the series 1 and 2, as you can see on the attached photos of the original series 3 shrouds. Two of these identical plates are pop riveted to the bottom of the door. The metal sheets are a 4.5 cm wide angle profile, the legs of which are 2.2 cm and 1.5 cm long. By the way: one reason for the absence of the shrouds is that there is not enough space between the door and the sill seal.
Holger

Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#15 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by 288gto » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Thanks for posting the S3 pic and dimensions Holger. I suppose if you felt you couldn't make them you could always cut some S1 shrouds down to size.

Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#16 Re: Door Drain Hole Shroud

Post by Mephistopheles » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:11 am

Simon
Yes, you are right: I also like pragmatism.
If you take a closer look at the shrouds, the first thing you can come to is that Jaguar‘s (British Leyland’s) penchant for saving money is the reason for the change in this part with the introduction of the Series 3, especially since two pop rivets and a few millimeters of material has been saved per sheet. However, the shrouds of Series 3 are also narrower, which may be due to the limited space between the door and the sill edge. If there is not enough space, the shrouds are often simply omitted, which often happens after restaurations/retrimming (for example when thicker material is used to cover the inner sills and the chrome strip on the sill comes too close to the door)
Regards
Holger

Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic