Series 3 Wire Wheels Suppliers

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

#1 Series 3 Wire Wheels Suppliers

Post by AussieEtype » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:44 am

The Australian Dollar is getting to be close to parity with the US $ and has doubled in value against the pound so it is time for me to look at buying wires for my car. I can buy them locally but we are a small market so while the cost of overseas goods has halved the cost in Aust still remains high.

The options are obviously Dayton from the US or Dunlop from the UK. Dayton will not deal with individuals so I will need to find a US dealer prepared to sell - it is Dayton policy to only sell through the customers local dealer - too expensive in Aust.

Where would be the best place (cheapest) in the Uk to buy Dunlop wheels and associated gear.

Also any views on Dayton vs the new Dunlops?

Thanks

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Garry....Sad to hear that the Aus $ is strengthening to the ? was thinking of a visit in Feb 2011......Just purchased a set of Wires ( sealed & no tube required)& tyres for my S2 from mwsint.com they are a well known compamy in the UK & regulary have a stand at the E Type club venues. found that they were the best on price they also do all stainless or chrome with stainless spokes.good luck Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks Steve - prices are good - less then half than what they are in Aust - but then shipping from the UK is about the most expensive in the world. If I were in the UK I would definitely get stainless but her with a dry climate and no salt I am thinking chrome would be the cheaper option.

Cheers

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JEP41
Great Britain

Post by JEP41 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Gary,

I have just bought a set of five painted wires from MWS (Motor Wheel Services). These are not for my E-type but a C-Type I am building. MWS were very professional they mounted Blockley tyres with a quality inner tube and balanced all five before shipping to my home. Last year I purchased a set of triple laced chrome wires for my MK2 and these were also from MWS and do not require tubes. I can only speak highly of MWS. I have see Dayton advertised in the UK possibly SNG Barretts, Manners or SC components not sure which. They are good I believe but very little different in price in UK between them and MWS. If you want some meggar wires, there is Borrani also in the UK at 1200 sterling each wheel, maybe a little less without the VAT if being exported, way above my budget :oops:
Kind Regards John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:16 am

Checked with MWS and they will not deal with me as they have an agent in Aust. Aust Price for chrome wire wheels is $630 and the UK price is $330 - where would try and buy. Daytons are the same - will not deal with me - they are $600 in Aust.

A work around is required.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:18 am

garrycol wrote:Checked with MWS and they will not deal with me as they have an agent in Aust. Aust Price for chrome wire wheels is $630 and the UK price is $330 - where would try and buy. Daytons are the same - will not deal with me - they are $600 in Aust.

A work around is required.

Garry
Garry,

one option could be to have your originals stripped, chromed and rebuilt. Be careful about buying them in the UK/US and getting them shipped - you will have a nightmare getting any warranty issues sorted. Note if you do want to go the rebuild route, worthwhile replacing the spokes with stainless steel.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:27 am

I have disk wheels a the moment, so is a buy from scratch. I was not going to get them until I had rebuilt the car but as the UK/US prices have dropped by 50% in AUD over past year it seemed a good time to buy. Aust prices have not moved or gone up slightly.

Warranty is not likely to be an issue but if it something did go wrong I would just bite the bullet and get repairs done locally.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi Garry.....have you looked at ebay......MWS wires supplied by various retailers are listed here in the UK at UK prices mabey this is a workaround? Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AussieEtype
Australia

Post by AussieEtype » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks Steve - will do
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS