FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

ysmalkie
Poland

#241 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by ysmalkie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:17 pm

I would be happy to participate in the costs of scanning this...

Tadek
Tadek

e-type S1 3.8 FHC - in restoration phase...
Jaguar XK120 OTS
Austin-Healey 100 BN2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#242 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Heuer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:23 pm

From the Forum Knowledge Base:

S1 Spare Parts Bulletins (500mb download): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak6z84278tqaf ... B.pdf?dl=1
S1 Service Bulletins (500Mb download): https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsh32w02ojf7t ... B.pdf?dl=1
S1.5 Spare Parts Bulletins July 1967 to June 1968: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qfpmke5aw79k ... 8.pdf?dl=1
S1.5 Service Bulletins July 1967 to June 1968: https://www.dropbox.com/s/owei37go34zjb ... s.pdf?dl=1
S2 Spare Parts Bulletins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc4vw7dss921k ... s.pdf?dl=1
S2 Service Bulletins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iujx51s9zu6wu ... s.pdf?dl=1
S3 Spare Parts Bulletins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yitt969jodt7j ... s.pdf?dl=1
S3 Service Bulletins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zie1ehlbcpqdd ... s.pdf?dl=1

:doh:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#243 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Heuer » Thu May 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Nut C4202/2

The C4202/2 is a 5/16" UNF nut used specifically for:

- securing inlet manifold to cylinder head - x 18
- securing carburettors to inlet manifold - x 12 (although the SPC says 24 are required)
- securing water outlet elbow to outlet pipe - x 2
- securing base assembly for air intake to carburettors - x 6

What makes these nuts interesting is that the the finish on the nut is chrome (a single layer of chrome without polishing and not overly shiny) produced by barrel plating the raw steel product. They were not cadmium plated. The 'P' stamps designate the tensile strength. It seems these chrome plated nuts were carried forward from the XK140 and XK150 engines and probably chosen to match the polished cam covers and SU suction chambers for a bit more 'eye candy'. They are not used elsewhere on the car when 5/8" UNF is called for and continued to be used on the S1 4.2 engines.

Barrel Plating
As the name implies, barrel plating entails placing the parts inside a barrel typically constructed of plastic. The barrel contains centre bars that conduct the electrical current and rotates slowly while immersed in the electrolytic plating solution. This causes the parts to tumble or “cascade” which provides an even, uniform coating application. Typical barrel plating applications include enhancing corrosion protection, increasing aesthetic appeal and producing an engineering finish that protects the parts against wear and tear.

Barrel plating offers a cost-effective means of plating a high volume of small, durable parts such as stampings and fasteners. It also works well for plating parts of various shapes and sizes. Barrel plating requires a smaller investment in equipment and is less labour-intensive than rack plating, which ultimately results in a lower process cost to the customer. On the downside, most barrel plating techniques require a low electrical current, which can increase the time that the parts are exposed to the plating solution.

Thanks to Tadek for the photos.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#244 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Heuer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Pivoted Carrier Bracket Assembly for Front Number Plate

All E-Type's exported to the USA were supplied as standard with a tilting front number plate bracket kit to be fitted by the Dealer if local laws mandated it. Jaguar would also supply the the kits to 'Special Order' to anyone who wanted one.

The kits comprised of the number plate carrier assembly BD20934 (H plate, nuts, washers and packing pieces), the control rod BD20936 (including securing clip), a grommet for the bonnet under panel opening C4548 and the fork end (including nut, clevis pin, split pin and washer) for connection to the bracket on the sub-frame.

The carrier was fitted by drilling two holes to the front of the leading edge of the bonnet under tray (which had to be removed from the car). The two aluminium packing pieces BD20893 were shaped to mimic the curve of the body work and fitted over the bracket hinge threads and secured with nuts and washers. The fork end was attached to the welded bracket on the front sub-frame. This bracket was fitted to all S1 and S2 cars regardless of their destination.

All cars where fitted with a rubber plug BD20989 sealing the aperture in the bonnet under panel which was removed and replaced by grommet C4548 when the tilting number plate assembly was fitted.

With the introduction of the S2 the bracket assembly was changed.

The later version BD35677 used a pair of handed 'L' brackets that were fitted by drilling downwards into the trailing edge of the under panel lip. The carrier was then bolted on to these brackets without the need for the packing pieces:
Note: someone has flattened the 'L' brackets on this one for some reason

The S3 used a fixed number plate bracket.

Note: It has been suggested the very early cars (first 500) did not have the bonnet under panel slot or the bracket on the front sub-frame and the number plate was held in place by stainless steel straps.

I can find no evidence to support this. The August 1961 J30 SPC lists the licence carrier bracket kit and the sub-frame bracket is illustrated; there is no notation that the kit could not be fitted to earlier car numbers. Similarly there are no Spares or Service Bulletins to support any changes.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bopperd
Canada

#245 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by bopperd » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Great information, David. I was under the impression that not all US-bound early cars were shipped with front number plate kits. In 1961, only 17 of the 50 states required a front license plate. Jaguar would have known which state any given car was being sold in before it left the factory. Cheap as they were, they would not have included the kits with those cars destined for states that did not required them. Indiana, where my car was sold, did not require front plates, and still does not to this day.
Dave Schinbeckler
'61 E-type OTS
'05 X-type Estate
'88 Ferrari Testarossa
'82 Dodge W-150

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#246 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Heuer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:42 am

Good to hear from you Dave!

Dealers placed customer and stock orders for the car with their Distributor who then placed the orders with the Jaguar Factory. The Factory had little sight or interest in the final destination other than the cars were bound for the USA and the records would only show the owner details once the Warranty card had been received back. Whilst many States did not require a front number plate, Jaguar had no control over where the car finally ended up - people could have moved address or cancelled their order and legislation could have changed between the order being placed and delivered. Hence all USA bound cars were supplied with the carrier bracket kit of parts.

The folding number plate was designed into the car from the start of development because UK legislation specified the plate must be vertical and Jaguar realised, unlike the C and D-Type, there was no vertical surface available. Jaguar winged it with 9600 HP and 77 RW bonnets as they were development vehicles but the massive Press and public reaction at launch meant everyone assumed that was the way the car was meant to be. No one in authority complained so Jaguar turned a blind eye as effectively it was the owners responsibility to display the number plate correctly and the carrier bracket was available to order. On the other hand they listed adhesive number plates in the SPC, supplied instructions on where to position the plate on the bonnet and in co-operation with Bluemels provided Jaguar Dealers with Number Plate Assembly Pack 6b: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?p=41625#p41625

Interestingly none of the early adverts or official photos for the E-Type in the UK show a bonnet mounted number plate which I suppose gave Jaguar plausible deniability!

The E-Type bonnet number plate remains technically illegal in the UK but the DVLA have gone on record to say they are not about to pursue the matter because it has become custom and practice.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

budmarston@aol.com
United States of America

#247 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by budmarston@aol.com » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Hello,
Interesting commentary on the pivoting front license plate bracket.

I've never seen definitive evidence that the pivoting bracket was painted black before inclusion with USA-bound E-types, and I've seen primarily black brackets but also what appear to be brackets with unpainted aluminum brackets.

Query: I wondered if anyone knows of definitive evidence indicating whether the pivoting bracket left Coventry unpainted/natural aluminum or painted black?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#248 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Heuer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:03 pm

No documented evidence I can point to other than maybe the S1 BD20934 brackets were black whilst the S2 BD35677 brackets were silver which would have been an aid to Service Centres. We don't see enough of them over here to do an analysis.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Green
United States of America

#249 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Geoff Green » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:24 am

All the license plate brackets I have seen are steel painted black.

US Geoff

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

budmarston@aol.com
United States of America

#250 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by budmarston@aol.com » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Yes, I agree that black seems to be the consensus opinion. My restorer had suggested several times that I have my tilting license plate bracket painted black but I have resisted, not being able to find definitive evidence to support this suggestion. But, I think I will ask him to (finally) paint it black.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#251 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Heuer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Hub Caps and Oil Filler Lettering

The hub caps used on the E-Type were chrome plated with no additional detailing i.e. inking in of the Jaguar logo. In the case of the hubs case after being drop forged and machined they were highly polished before being plated with copper, nickel and chrome. The polishing wheel could not reach into the Jaguar logo indent so it remained rough and this was reflected in the plating. The effect was a polished surface with a marbled chrome in the lettering indent which produced a contrast and highlighted the Jaguar name. No paint was applied as it would have been pointless and added to the cost, something Mr Arthur Whittaker (Jaguar's chief buyer and cost cutter) would not have allowed. Similarly the oil filler cap was polished leaving the Jaguar lettering unpolished, in contrast.

I have looked at over 100 Jaguar official photos and there is not one that shows inked in Hub Caps or oil filler.
3.8:

Over time the indented lettering can become polluted with road grime and oil giving the appearance of black paint but a quick clean will reveal there is none. Of course many owners detail their cars and the inked in logo is an easy enhancement. As far as I can tell the first appearance of the inked in eared hub caps was with the release of the 1968 S2 and first reproductions by Orson Engineering; this gave way to the view they were all painted.

The S2 'Federal' earless hub caps did have the Jaguar logo inked in.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ian Howe
Great Britain

#252 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Ian Howe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Boot Clips

I do not think this has been covered before.

C18461 is a clip for the boot lid lock release cable - not shown in the first spares book so introduced later. The clip secures the cable on the run from the RH side of the boot to the release mechanism, It clips under the rear ledge that holds the trim board.

Picture of C18461

Position of clip - rear of spare tyre in the bottom of photograph

Reversing Light Cable Clips

Just been looking at a 63 OTS and these clips are present - they look original and as far as I can research not listed - might be in amendment somewhere!

Clip on Rear Left Back of Boot Holding Cable - rear mounting bolt for petrol tank in bottom of photograph

Clip Holding Cable under Ledge on Left Boot Board Side - bolts securing boot lock on left

Ian
Last edited by Ian Howe on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ysmalkie
Poland

#253 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by ysmalkie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:37 pm

Ian, many thanks for posting, however, could you post these photos with a larger context please? I am having hard time locating these clips..

Tadek
Tadek

e-type S1 3.8 FHC - in restoration phase...
Jaguar XK120 OTS
Austin-Healey 100 BN2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ian Howe
Great Britain

#254 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Ian Howe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi Tadek

Thanks for taking an interest. I have amended the photo descriptions above.

The photographs are looking backwards at the panel on which the number plate is mounted. On the illustration below the clip holding the boot release cable is on the right and the two clips for the reversing light cable are on the left. As I mentioned the reversing cable clips look original but nothing in the parts manual.

Ian

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ian Howe
Great Britain

#255 Re:

Post by Ian Howe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Ian Howe wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:56 pm
Bulkhead access holes

Another little know variation is in the construction of the inside of the bulkhead - the access holes at either side of the bulkhead are different sizes - larger on the later cars. Small 'circular' holes on inside of bulkhead - also showing the attachment brackets for the instrument panel that were pop riveted on early in production:

1962 roadster with larger oblong holes:
This is a picture of a late 61 car with an interim hole arrangement. Not sure how long this ‘drilled’ hole arrangement was used for!

Ian

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Maikel
Germany

#256 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Maikel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 am

Here are pics of my earliest spot welded bracket solenoid dated 3/60. In fact the latest casted housing I have seen is from 9/60.

That would mean both styles have been manufactured contemporaneous.
At what VINs did the change happen? David writes the first 500 had the casted, so thereafter all cars should have the welded clamp solenoid?!

Who of the flat floor owners can confirm his original solenoid housing design?

Many thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

splosh
Great Britain

#257 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by splosh » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:17 pm

875409 August 1961, here's the solenoid.
Lucas 76411E

Clive
August 1961 Flat floor ots

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ian Howe
Great Britain

#258 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Ian Howe » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Cable Strapping

Earlier in this thread there was a discussion about cable strapping - and there was ‘one missing’ - only photographs of 20 instead of 21 straps. This is the last strap - holding the header tank overflow to the lower frame.

Strap in lower right of photograph

Detail of lower strap

Ian

PhilK adds:

I found this strap present on my '64 which is not shown on the earlier posts.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#259 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by Heuer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:03 pm

I have rolled the earlier post by Geoff Green, details observed by Ian Howe and some of my own research into a single post. Let me know if anyone has more information or edits are required.

Brake Fluid Filler Caps

Filler Cap and Level Indicator for Brake Fluid Reservoir were made by two manufacturers - Sovy Ltd and Lockheed.

Lockheed
These were large black caps marked 'NIVOCODE', 'Lockheed' and some French descriptive text; the spade terminals were vertical. These were used on the first group of cars approximating the outside bonnet lock production with the highest car found so far 875190. The level sensor consists of a float inside a round aluminium cover and were also used on the Jaguar Mk 1 and 2 saloons. Unlike the Sovy caps the wires should be removed before the cap was unscrewed. Many owners did not bother which is why the wires are twisted on most cars but they should not be.

'Nivo' is French for level, 'code' is French for rule, so 'level rule'; Nivocode is not a registered trade name, merely a product range of fluid level sensors. They also made matching brake bottles in glass, 'Nivoclair' ('clair' = clear), which regrettably Jaguar decided not to use :banghead:

The August 1961 SPC illustrates the Nivocode sensors - C18197 'Filler Cap and Level Indicator':

E/122/1 Owners Handbook (note wires are not twisted):
Note the corrosion caused by water in the brake fluid:
Plastic float:

9600 HP with Nivocode sensors March 1961:

SOVY (U.K.) Ltd 54 Park Lane. Croydon, Surrey

From sometime in August 1961 a revised Sovy design consisting of a multi piece cap with the top of black plastic having horizontal terminals and an attached aluminium screw cap was introduced for production. The design allowed the cap to be unscrewed from the bottle without the need to disconnect the wires. The Patent for the Sovy 'Liquid Level Indicator' was filed on 24th October 1959, revised on 9th May 1961 by Eric Bernard Aird Marsh and granted on 10th April 1963. SOVY (U.K.) Ltd continued to supply Jaguar through the Series 3 E Type and supplied other automotive manufacturers like Aston Martin, Rover, etc. SNG Barratt purchased SOVY U.K. in 1990 and continues to build the filler cap and level indicator.

The early pre-production cars were fitted with a Sovy black cap sensor which had no identification markings as they were themselves prototypes. They were constructed differently to the later sensors and quite crude:

Jaguar (Belgium) photo of 77 RW during the demonstration runs at Geneva March 1961 using black Sovy unmarked caps:

9600 HP during very early testing with unmarked Sovy sensors:

More than one very early production car (e.g. 875039) have been observed with the Sovy unmarked caps and left the Factory with them fitted. As these early sensors were pre-production they could not have been in-service replacements.

From sometime in August 1961 the Factory stopped using Lockheed NIVOCODE and started fitting Sovy sensors of a modified design. These had black caps with 'Sovy' and 'Made in England' markings as seen on on 860058 built in November 1961:
Another November 1961 car:

This style of sensor continued to be fitted until July 1962 when the square bottles were introduced.

NIVOCODE and Sovy sensor comparison:

The black cap changed to a white cap when the bottles were changed from round to square in July 1962.

The black caps are still produced with the Patent numbers added:

In March 1963 a new style of sensor was introduced in an attempt to avoid water ingress. These had a push fit sealing knob (easily lost!):

The new waterproof caps. Note Patent Pending imprint but the patent number does not exist:

In October 1963 a Service Bulletin was issued with advice on an in-service modification:

In January 1964 protective rubber caps were introduced in a further attempt to waterproof the sensors

Dispersed throughout all series of production red coloured caps have been observed. These are original Sovy and frequently used on Lotus's however as many sensors were replaced in service (the aluminium parts corroded due to water in the brake fluid) it is difficult to know whether they were Factory fitted. All the red caps I have seen have the Patent number so, if Factory fitted, mid 1962 until March 1963 when the waterproofed versions with the push on cap were used. My guess is the red caps were in service replacements rather than Factory fit given their spread over all Series cars.

Factory Fit timeline (for concours):

Prototype and pre-production cars - either Sovy unmarked black cap or Lockheed NIVOCODE
First ~500 cars up to August 1961 - Lockheed NIVOCODE sensors as illustrated in the August 1961 J.30 SPC
August 1961 to July 1962 - black cap Sovy sensors with 'Sovy and 'Made in England' imprint
July 1962 to March 1963 - white cap Sovy sensors with 'Sovy and 'Made in England' and maybe 'Patent applied for' imprint
April 1963 onwards - white cap Sovy sensors with Patent numbers and push fit waterproof caps
January 1964 onwards - protective rubber caps, which could be retrofitted to earlier cars.

Trivia: A report by Norman Dewis on the Geneva show demo cars had this to say: "Brake fluid leaking from reservoir bottles, suggest close inspection of fluid bottles for leaks".

The Patent: Once a Patent is filed (in the case of Sovy - 9 May 1961) the owner can use the words 'Patent Pending' or 'Patent applied for'; this phrasing is converted to the Patent Number once it is issued (in the case of Sovy - 10 April 1963). So any cap produced with the Patent numbers should have been after April 1963 yet they seem to have been made some 10 months earlier! The waterproof cap of March 1963 have 'Patent Pending' on them but the quoted Patent number does not exist; either it was withdrawn or the application was never filed. They seem to have been playing free and loose with the letter of Patent law. :shrug:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#260 Re: FACTORY FIT - Series 1 3.8

Post by MarekH » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Is it even representative to include a factory demonstrator in this section? The car being quoted clearly had different reservoir caps at different times, a different engine by the sounds of it, different side steering wheel and heavens knows how many other changes in specification, so it hardly helps nail down what was fitted by the factory to production cars. If anything, it somewhat muddies the waters in this respect.

Surely the point of this thread is to look at cars that haven't been altered?

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic