S3 Radiator recommendation and Alternator charging.

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
adrianTV12
Great Britain

#1 S3 Radiator recommendation and Alternator charging.

Post by adrianTV12 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 am

Hi,
I have a recommendation and a question please.

Firstly I have just changed my radiator on my manual V12 S3 due to the original leaking around the joint where the top is soldered to the core. I'd soldered it a couple of times but it kept failing. I purchased a new aluminium one from Alicool in the UK and fitted it on Saturday. It is beautifully made (the welding is first class) and all of the fitting locations are perfect for the lower radiator supports, all hoses, and the fan cowl assembly with no alterations needed at all. It runs cooler that it used to and seems to be a really well made product. I know its not strictly the original copper and brass, but on a series 3 you can't really see the radiator once fitted anyway and at roughly £600 it seems to have been good value. Having just done 200+ miles this weekend round the Yorkshire Dales in very warm weather and driving reasonably robustly I can confirm it performs very well indeed which must put a lot less stress on the engine temperature wise. Nice people to deal with.

Secondly, as you will be able to relate to, fix one thing and another crops up on these beautiful cars.... The alternator/ignition warning light on this series 3 has just started to flicker very slightly at higher revs (4000+). I have never noticed it doing it before. I've put a meter on the battery and it shows 13.4v when the engine is off and 14.2 volts running. It maintains this at 14.2v when the engine is reved (car stationary). The light is not on permanently, just a slight flicker. The wire to the light seem fine.I willl do the checks listed in the workshop manual on diodes etc, but in the first instance is there a most likely suspect I should focus on. Electronics is not my strong point. The battery is good, and i do not seem to be losing charge.

Thanks
Ade

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

baganz.sven@web.de
Germany

#2 Re: S3 Radiator recommendation and Alternator charging.

Post by baganz.sven@web.de » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:29 am

Hello Adrian,

I think checking the diodes like you already mentioned is the right way to start.
Sven
Sven
'71 S3 coupe LHD manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#3 Re: S3 Radiator recommendation and Alternator charging.

Post by MarekH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Dear Adrian,

It sounds like your alternator and battery work very well. I would suspect some of the wiring or connectors are in poor condition. Some of it will have been moved about when your replaced your radiator.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#4 Re: S3 Radiator recommendation and Alternator charging.

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:04 pm

When it’s rev related, I’d suspect the “brushes”.
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
adrianTV12
Great Britain

#5 Re: S3 Radiator recommendation and Alternator charging.

Post by adrianTV12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks for the advice.

I'll investigate further after work today and let you know what I find.

Cheers
Ade

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
adrianTV12
Great Britain

#6 Re: S3 Radiator recommendation and Alternator charging.

Post by adrianTV12 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:26 am

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have now investigated further.

Marek, you were right. Whilst the connections at the alternator all seemed tight and secure I removed them all and cleaned both male and female ends which were all pretty dirty and a bit sticky. Maybe from the leaking coolant from the old radiator or just general grot over the years. As you said I will have nudged them when taking the old radiator out and the connection must have been poor. Anyway, that sorted out the problem completely and all working well, so I didn't have to do any more than that.

Thanks again for your input.
Happy motoring.
Ade

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic