Heat Shield

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
salmon
Great Britain

#1 Heat Shield

Post by salmon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Has anyone fitted the SNG Barratt Heat shields to S3. The ones I removed with made of some sort of fibre board. The SNG ones are aluminium. I am not sure how you are supposed to fix them.
Do you insulate on the tunnel first, is there enough space to insulate & fit the Heat shields.

In short I am trying to figure out the best way of fixing the shields in place?

I should add I refer to part no C35856

Regards

Roy.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Heat Shield

Post by angelw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello Roy,
Unfortunately, these heat shields in the original material are not available. The Heat Shield you refer to is cast aluminum alloy and are held in place with self tapping screws; you should be able to find the existing holes in the transmission tunnel of your car. Make a paper pattern of the area with the hole locations punched in and use this to transfer to your new part.

The aluminum will deflect the heat to some extent initially, but as its a good conductor, once hot, will transfer a goodly amount of the heat to the car. There is plenty of room to put some insulating material between the Heat Shield and the car's metal work, or at least space the Shield off the surface of the tunnel. Air is not a good conductor of heat, so a gap will help, but needs to be considerable to have good affect.

I only use these Shield where an original appearance is important and even then, you have to squint to have them look original. When appearance is not important, I use one of the better insulating materials available.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
salmon
Great Britain

#3 Re: Heat Shield

Post by salmon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks for the reply Bill
What material do you find works best for insulation against heat transfer? There seems to be many opinions on this point.

Regards

Roy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#4 Re: Heat Shield

Post by angelw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 am

Hello Roy,
Dynamat and the like works quite well.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: Heat Shield

Post by Heuer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:18 am

I use Kool-mat.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#6 Re: Heat Shield

Post by AussieEtype » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:13 am

I still have the original heat shields on my car - the one on the front tunnel up on the firewall and underneath over the centre mufflers. It would not surprise me if the fibrous material they are made from is asbestos.

Does anyone know for sure. I painted mine with silver paint to seal it - just in case it is asbestos.

garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rustyred
Australia

#7 Re: Heat Shield

Post by Rustyred » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Gary, I reckon there asbestos for sure, I had to burn the oil out of the ones I pulled off so I could repaint. The flame had no effect on them at all. Still had shape. When painted they looked brand new.
Restoring 73 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic