Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
GDE
France

#1 NEW MEMBER

Post by GDE » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello,

I'm a brand new member and indeed owner of a stunning 1970 4.2 FHC E-type in Dark blue/dark blue interior.
I imported it from USA and both Stromberg carb have already been replaced by SU :bigrin:
However, does anyone know exactly what are the difference between Serie 2 EU and USA except the carburators type ?
i don't think that carbs are solely responsible for the loss of 100hp. (according the engine number, i have a compression ratio of 9:1)
Is there any difference on the came-shaft ?

Thank you all,

Grégoire (GDE)
GDE
1970 FHC 4.2 serie 2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#2 Re: NEW MEMBER

Post by Polse7317 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Bienvenu Grégoire sur ce forum inépuisable en ressources....toujours utiles :thumbsup:
Welcome aboard Gregoire y'll find every thing you search on this fabulous forum.
If you are in nouvelle aquitaine, just pm me... :salute:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: NEW MEMBER

Post by Gfhug » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Gregoire, welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting an E Type.
Why do you say 100 hp? In reality the E Type engine never had 265 bhp, even at the engine never mind the wheels. But one thing, normally a USA car had 3.54 differential, European 3.07, this makes a difference, higher rpm, change to the 3.07 for better motoring.
If you search you’ll see recent comments about bhp and what people really get for a standard car, not those who have had them modified.

Bonne chance

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
GDE
France

#4 Re: NEW MEMBER

Post by GDE » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 am

Hello Geoff,

I agree, even it's written in the Owner manual, the E -type engine never really had 265hp. But the US version it was decreased to more or less 170 HP.
As you mentioned, US had 3.54 differential but on my car they already changed to 2:88 (and limited slip) for better cruising.
the best solution might be to test it on the engine Bench... The odometer seams wrong so probably also the RPM. I get 50mph = 92 kM/h on GPS instead of a normal 50mph*1.6 = 80 km/h.
i'm gonna loose my driving license with such a difference... :bigrin:

Greg
GDE
1970 FHC 4.2 serie 2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

seremotav
Great Britain

#5 Re: NEW MEMBER

Post by seremotav » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:58 pm

GDE wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:47 pm
Hello,

I'm a brand new member and indeed owner of a stunning 1970 4.2 FHC E-type in Dark blue/dark blue interior.
I imported it from USA and both Stromberg carb have already been replaced by SU :bigrin:
However, does anyone know exactly what are the difference between Serie 2 EU and USA except the carburators type ?
i don't think that carbs are solely responsible for the loss of 100hp. (according the engine number, i have a compression ratio of 9:1)
Is there any difference on the came-shaft ?

Thank you all,

Grégoire (GDE)
Hi buddy, what I feel is the carbs does the major from 100hp at my end as of now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jaglex
Germany

#6 Re: NEW MEMBER

Post by Jaglex » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:06 pm

I think, biggest part of the 100 HP is due to a tendency to reality/truth/honesty (sorry for me missing the right word for it).
Ser. 1.5 DHC LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic