Wiper rack fitting

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Richardhealey
Great Britain

#1 Wiper rack fitting

Post by Richardhealey » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:24 pm

Evening everyone,
I am coming to refitting my wiper rack here is a photo showing how the spindles are spayed outwards, making me pause before trying to go further. I believe the the spindles are peened into place? I don’t particularly like the idea of pushing a spindle out to then have to peen it back once in place deep in the bulkhead! I remember taking them out damaged the paint, due to the spindles being spayed out as they are, but then I didn’t care then :oops: What’s the plan please?!
Naturally I am going to clean everything, just at the planning stage right now!

Also, there wasn’t any kind of gasket between wiper bezel and dash top when dismantled. Is that correct and how do you stop water entering the bulkhead if there isn’t such a thing? The parts book I am looking at (famed for its diagrams) refers to one but ‘not 2+2’ :shrug:

Many thanks again!
Rich
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by mgcjag » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi Rich....not a 2+2 but Chris Vines blog may help with your rebuild...here it the wiper section...Steve http://etype.chrisvine.com/category/reb ... wiperrack/
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Richardhealey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by Richardhealey » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I may well be wrong here, but unlike the series 1 ( in Chris Vine’s blog, which I always check first!) in cross-section the series 2 rack appears to
be a more substantial u shape of steel and therefore it doesn’t seem like a viable option to bend it in order to temporarily straighten the rack spindles and slide the rack into place without damaging the paint. Hence the :scratchheadyellow:
Any idea anyone on the bezel seals too?
Cheers,
Rich

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by mgcjag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:17 am

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Richardhealey
Great Britain

#5 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by Richardhealey » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 am

Hi Steve,
No, sadly not :cry:
That link refers to a series 1 car again and so a different design the the series 2.
Any series 2 restorers out there please?
Many thanks,
Rich

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#6 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by johnetype » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:34 am

Speaking from Series 2 - but not 2+2 - experience, there's a gasket that goes over the spindle on the outside before you add the chrome outer bezel. Also there's no harm in applying silicon to the wiper spindle on the underside of the scuttle before you pass it through.

As to the problem of the splay in the spindles, I didn't have that in my three wiper car, it looks like a 2 wiper car challenge. How do you know that your rack isn't bent out of shape from the original and if you reshaped it so the spindles can pass through cleanly, would it all still line up and work?
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Richardhealey
Great Britain

#7 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by Richardhealey » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi John,
Many thanks for the reply. I think with the rack installed, the ‘splaying’ of the spindles all then lines up/fits correctly. The rack is also a U shape in profile, so really quite strong and I think unlikely to have been bent previously without a visible mark....but that is of course a guess...
As I mentioned, removing the rack did involve some effort and definitely scraped it’s way out...
No evidence of any perished gaskets in my car, so I think I may try and use this sugru sealant...
Thanks again,
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#8 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by Robbiee » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi
I only have S1 experience but I’m pretty sure you’d notice a crease if a u shaped rack was bent

I would suggest :
1. Plenty of masking around edge of holes
2. Don’t try to get both in at once..perhaps try one first and then swing the other through
3. Is it possible to loosen one spindle enough to allow a little more movement then tighten whe through the hole..possibly employing a small handed youngster to help??
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#9 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by Bob. » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi Rich
Re the bezel to bodywork rubber seals. The S2 2+2 and the S3 wiper racks are the same and I can't find them in the S3 Parts Manual either but the ROM specifically calls for new rubber seals under the external finisher when refitting the rack. Richard T Russ in his book "Jaguar V-12 E-Type A Guide to Authenticity " clearly identifies them in Fig 48.

They are present on my 1971 S3

and visible (just) if you enlarge these images of a 1969 S2 2+2 and a 1974 S3.

Moss sell them - https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/rubber-pa ... -8656.html
although whether their claim that they fit all E-Types is valid, I wonder. Same with Holden. Might just be best to cut your own from sheet rubber.

Given the same rack as yours you might find the S3 ROM technique for removing and refitting helpful, or not, as it calls for both shafts to pass through the bodywork holes simultaneously during removal and for pressing them out through the scuttle on replacement. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i187wju7ugsa ... s.pdf?dl=1.

Good Luck,
Bob
Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Richardhealey
Great Britain

#10 Re: Wiper rack fitting

Post by Richardhealey » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks Robbie and Bob, most helpful!
I’ll get the S3 rubber seals and see how the perform.
I’ll definitely use plenty of masking tape and report back as to how I get on and if anything useful for us all to learn.
On cleaning all the parts this evening, I’m pretty sure there has been no damage to my rack, so I guess it is just a damn tight fit until both ends are partly through.
Thanks again :drinkingcheers:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic