Post by jagwit » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 am

MLBS3V12 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:04 am
Hi all,
I've finally decided to place the EFI ECU on the passenger side in the car:

Exactly where I put mine.
Best Regards
Philip
Jag: 72 S3 XKE, 74 S3 XKE OTS, 80 XJS (Megasquirt + 5sp manual O/D)
Jensen: 74 Interceptor (EFI by Megasquirt + O/D 4sp auto)
Chev: 59 Apache std, 70 C10 (350V8, 700R4)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#22 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:49 am

Yes Philip, I remember the pictures you sent me. 8-)
As you can finally see, I've kept the Jag ECUs. This is far more simple :salute:
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#23 Re: V12 ECU

Post by jagwit » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:24 am

It is indeed the simplest EFI implementation. Now your car will also have an efi wiring diagram which other efi cars are not likely to have.

Being std Jag, should not haunt you IF you sell the car (now how would I know that...)
Best Regards
Philip

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ole-xke1974
Great Britain

#24 Re: V12 ECU

Post by Ole-xke1974 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:45 pm

Fspp369 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Because I’ve changed my seats to modified XjS type.
I was considering the XJS seats for my S3, but decided on the Mazda Miata/MX5 seats.
Not that I want to change them out, but I am curious to see how they fit in an E-type. Would you mind sharing a picture or two ?
Thanks and Merry Christmas ....... Ole
1974 SIII E-Type w. XJ S2 4sp w. O/D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#25 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:11 pm

I definitely dont know what is this for :

It was on the xjs engine, but until now I ve not found a destination for this air valve. Any explanation will be appreciated.
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#26 Re: V12 ECU

Post by jagwit » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:58 pm

The xjs and dd6 had a very elaborate vacuum advance management system to meet emissions standards OF THE DAY.

I can't be sure what this one was used for but I vaguely recall one being used to prevent vacuum advance from being active while the engine is still cold to make it warm up quicker and the other being used to prevent any vacuum existing at the vacuum advance module under full throttle conditions.

On the E-type you can just connect the vacuum advance module directly to manifold vacuum at one of those vacuum nipples at the rear of the RH intake manifold.
Best Regards
Philip

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#27 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:56 am

Steeve from jaglovers forum remindes me this

Lucky me, I can cancel all the bits, extra hoses valves and delay thing without problem!
Philip, there is a specific junction under the left bank manifold to connect the hose coming from the distributor through a small air filter.

Finally the Marelli engine and its management is complicate because of the 2 ECUs to be placed somewhere in the car, but far more simple for the advance management. No special pats for. Only the software and the different sensors.
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#28 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MarekH » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:44 am

Dear Michel,

That picture illustrates air injection into the exhaust to make the exhaust gases contain less nitrous oxide and has nothing to do with vacuum in the manifold and how much fuel to inject into the cylinders. The car will run perfectly well without it. To see a more relevant diagram, take a look a Roger Bywater's AJ16 website which explains how vacuum was used to control the amount of ignition advance.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#29 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 am

Hello Marek
I ve purchased the Aj6 guide to convert the E with EFI. Very usefull. But a bit frustrate because not enough information on the Magnetti Marelli equipment. This equipment -if I m not wrong- managed directly the ignition advance with the following sensor : rev speed, first cyl A banc higher position, air and water temp, throttle position, depress presence in the manifold. Nothing more.
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#30 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:37 pm

I do have a thick plate of aluminium in my garage.
I ve decided today to use it to place the 2 amplifiers from the ignition.

I m going to place the assembly close from the battery not so far from the injection module of pick and hold resistors. I hope the heat will be dissipated enough.

Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#31 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:31 pm

The cable driving the 2 amplifiers is now extended and connected to the 2 oems.

I now work on the injectors harness. I ve done the half left one with silicone insulated wires.

Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#32 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:37 pm

So, now all the XJS wires have been extended, shorten, canceled depending of their origin/Not use status/destination. After a weak ground issue :scratchheadyellow: , a contact into on of the amplifier connector pusched which gave a wrong ignition on 1 banc :questionmarks: , a fuel pump issue ( + on - and - on plus..... :banghead:) , I've finally been able to make the engine run. Just a bit at each time as I need to complete the water circuit first.

I do have a quedtion for you Philip as you already have connected an EFI management system. When the key is turned, the 12V is on and available on the different part of the wiring loom. However, when you go the last position of the key, 12V is off everywhere except on the the start relay. this is done to drain the maximum of Amp for the stater motor. BUT in that case, no more 12V on the ECUs.....
My quaetion is : where have you connected the your ECU ? I dnt want to have the 12V permanently on the 2 ECUs from the XJS.
I do have a solution in mind which is to have a "start" button has on the S1 or existing on so many sports car too.
Thank you for your return.
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#33 Re: V12 ECU

Post by jagwit » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:13 am

I'm not at home to check my circuit diagram, so will answer from memory.

The last position is "start" (this is to engage the starter to make the engine crankl). When the key is in the start position, 12V SHOULD ALSO BE PRESENT on all white wires (like when the key is in the "on" position) . The coil + MUST have 12V while the engine is cranking, otherwise it will not start.

The efi systems must be powered by a white wire.

If therefore sounds to me like your ignition switch is faulty.
Best Regards
Philip

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#34 Re: V12 ECU

Post by lowact » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 am

MLBS3V12 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:56 am
Steeve from jaglovers forum remindes me this
Hello Michel. Do you have a complete copy of this publication that you can share? Or it's title so I can track one down?
Thanks!
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#35 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:53 am

Hi Colin,

yes I do have this, it is the "94 XJS Model Year Update S83" doc. I've a few other ones talking about the XJS V12.
PM me your email address.
Regards
Michel
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rui
Portugal

#36 Re: V12 ECU

Post by Rui » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:02 pm

Barry,

Did you get your car ready ? I would appreciate some hints / photos of the loom routing, I am also planning to do the same.

Many thanks
Rui Meneses

E-type S3 1973
XJ6 S3 1985

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#37 Re: V12 ECU

Post by Barry » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Hi Rui,
I don’t have any photos of the loom and exactly where it went because all the work was done in 2005. Mind, looking at the car you’d think it was restored last year. If you go on the AJ 6 Engineering website, the picture of a red Series 3 engine is my car.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MLBS3V12
France

#38 Re: V12 ECU

Post by MLBS3V12 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:28 am

Yesterday was a first running test with my EFI E Type under restauration:

The brakes, the gear box on first and the reverse gear, the power steering, all seem to be good! :bouncyyellow:
I now have to solve the too far richness of the engine. :scratchheadyellow:
Le chemin sera long!...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#39 Re: V12 ECU

Post by Fspp369 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:45 am

Ole,
Sorry I’ve been away from it all for a while.
If you send me a PM I’ll forward some pics of the modified XJS seats, that have gone to the trimmers. I will be collecting the drivers side this week.
P
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS
RR Phantom 3 1937 Sedanca de Ville.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#40 Re: V12 ECU

Post by jagwit » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:29 am

MLBS3V12 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:28 am
I now have to solve the too far richness of the engine. :scratchheadyellow:
Congratulations on your progress!!! To solve the richness issue I suggest the following:
1) Check that the vacuum pipe from the middle of the 1" cross-over pipe between the left and right manifolds is connected to the vacuum port on the ECU; Without this connection the ECU will think that the engine is at full throttle and will supply waaayyyyy too much fuel, mostly so at and around idle;
2) Check that the coolant temp sensor is connected to the ECU. Check that BOTH pins inside the connector is making contact with the pins on the sensor. Also check at the ECU connector that you are getting the same Ohm readings as you measure directly on the sensor. Without this correct input the ECU will think it is extremely cold and will supply wayyyyy too much fuel;
3) Check that the vacuum pipes from the manifold is connected to the fuel pressure regulators. Without these connections, the fuel pressure will be higher than what it should be BUT this issue alone can not account for the huge overfueling your are having; You can actually remove the RH fuel pressure regulator completely. I did that on all my V12s and on the DD6 it resulted in an immediate and huge improvement in cold and hot starting.
4) Check that the Intake air temp sensor is properly connected to the ECU. Of all the above this has the least effect and definitely can not account for your huge overfuelling.
5) If all the above is OK, Check that the fuel pressure is correct. Perhaps the fuel pressure regulator on the LHS (This is the important one!!!) is not functioning correctly. Also check that fuel is not coming out of its vacuum connection. Sometimes the diaphragm inside the regulator is perished, leaks and then fuel can get directly into the intake manifold. Also check that the fuel return pipe back to the fuel tank is open. If not, this will also result in fuel pressure that is too high.
6) This one is a bit more tricky.... The throttle position sensor (mounted below the circular throttle capstan) becomes bad with a lot of use and this can cause false readings to the ECU that will make the ECU think the throttle is being opened and closed vigorously. This will result in a lot of Acceleration Enrichment (longer fuel pulses) which could be applied continuously that would also result in much overfuelling. Easiest is to disconnect it to see if there is any improvement. (Disconnecting it , will create idle issues but first we must get the overfueling issue corrected.) Strictly speaking, it has to be measured to be sure that it is operating as it should.
Best Regards
Philip

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic