Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
pinza
Australia

#1 Wipers - RHD bench test video

Post by pinza » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:27 am

Hello all,
For your viewing pleasure....
I apologise if someone has already posted this but I couldn't find one if the past week of searching.
While avoiding the big wide world, I wanted to make sure my wipers would work when I am ready to put them back in the car. I am posting this video to help anyone who might benefit from it. Please don’t worry about the colours or type of wires - I will get correct ones when the dust settles. These were just what I had in my shed. I'm also sorry the video didn't go for 2 more seconds.
Happy to take any feedback as this is the first time I've ever touched a S1 wiper mechanism.

Here's a link to the video

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P4vTK ... 2jUS0FjIm2

Regards,
Glenn
1964 3.8 FHC 861648 - Originally Opalescent Dark Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wipers - RHD bench test video

Post by Duckham » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 am

Good setup to provide piece of mind before you go through the trauma of fitting, Glenn.

There was recent discussion here about the outboard arm lengths being different so they need to be swapped during a LH-RH conversion. Is that the case here? The swept angles look very similar in your video.

Joe
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
pinza
Australia

#3 Re: Wipers - RHD bench test video

Post by pinza » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm

Thanks Joe,
There’s no conversion here - my car is original RHD Australian delivered.
We were careful when we dismantled it to label the arms (assuming they were correct). Thanks for the heads up. I won’t assume everything is spot on when we re-install it. It was just nice to see it operate after doing lots of reading.
Glenn

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#4 Re: Wipers - RHD bench test video

Post by Duckham » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm

pinza wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm
Thanks Joe,
There’s no conversion here - my car is original RHD Australian delivered.
We were careful when we dismantled it to label the arms (assuming they were correct). Thanks for the heads up. I won’t assume everything is spot on when we re-install it. It was just nice to see it operate after doing lots of reading.
Glenn
I wasn't thinking that you had converted, Glenn, but I am still curious whether your outboard cranks are different lengths.
I think it was Rory that highlighted his are and I assumed it would provide a larger change to the swept angle than I can see in your video.

Cheers
Joe
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
pinza
Australia

#5 Re: Wipers - RHD bench test video

Post by pinza » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 am

Sorry Joe,
Just measured the two arms & mine are identical. I’ll come back your comment if I have trouble on installation with the travel of the wipers. Thanks again for the tip.
Glenn

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#6 Re: Wipers - RHD bench test video

Post by rfs1957 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:56 pm

If you search for wipers, and rfs1957 as author, you’ll find the dithyrambic I wrote a couple of months ago about S1 wipers.

I never filmed it, as the really trick bit is the clever flip of the eccentric to effectively change the length of the operating arm when the motor reverses to PARK the wiper, and it’s very hard to film, you need to see it.

I would suggest that you hard mount the motor like I did, in a position that is as close to being representative of the car layout (the geometry is super critical), and check that the last sweep with a reversing motor takes your blades much lower than they were during normal operation.

This is the smart extra that’s available, when all is working, and in your video this doesn’t seem to be happening. It may be because your hand-held motor is not in a stable position.

The article also covers the different arm lengths according to LHD and RHD models.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#7 Re: Wipers - RHD bench test video

Post by rfs1957 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:10 pm

Was on a tiny screen for the last post, hard to search.

Here's the link.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15113&hilit=wipers

PS - I found long cable-ties zipped around each of the three bosses made excellent fake-wipers, as they are easy to align and ajust.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic