Covering material on OTS hood canopy?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
david.coan
Great Britain

#1 Covering material on OTS hood canopy?

Post by david.coan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:35 pm

1968 OTS series 1.5. What type of material and colour is supposed to be used to cover the hood front canopy and its wooden header rail? And should it have any foam between the metal/wood and the covering material. Any advice welcome.
Mine is currently covered in what i think you would refer to as leathercloth, underneath it is ‘felt’, glued onto the canopy, the same thick felt type material that which was originally under the carpets in my car when i got it, the type that absorbs water like a sponge! My current covering material is biscuit colour Leathercloth to match the rest of the interior, it is not well glued on to the felt and so it is sagging in areas, most noticeable obviously when the soft top is up. The two escutcheons are the only attractive thing about it. I want to replace the covering and looking on Aldridge and BAS websites its not obvious to me what material and colour i should use. The hood is Fawn colour in Mohair, being a beige colour on the inside of the hood cover material.
David
1968 S1.5 OTS, ex USA converted to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
david.coan
Great Britain

#2 Re: Covering material on OTS hood canopy?

Post by david.coan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:29 am

I got my reply from BAS, they advised the covering would normally match the interior of the soft top hood, so in my case i would need to cover the canopy with a finish similar to my Mohair hood material on its underside, in my case its beige inside face. BAS recommended a Dobby cloth in beige as it will be easier to trim with compared to trying to cover the canopy with Mohair material.
Last edited by david.coan on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
1968 S1.5 OTS, ex USA converted to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#3 Re: Covering material on OTS hood canopy?

Post by MarkRado » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:54 am

Afaik this is a special fabric, no longer available according to Eric Suffolk. I received a material from Aldridge (togehter with the hood) similar to the photos in Haddocks book , but used vinyl instead - fabric gets dirty easily, esp if you do a lot of hood down driving without cover.
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic