Shipping - Container vs RORO

Talk about E-Types here

38E
Canada

Post by 38E » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:36 pm

You made a wise decision to use a container. No way in h3ll I'd use a RoRo service ever again, even though I'd done so several previous times when it used to be a direct transatlantic trip.

This was a long time ago, from the east coast to Toronto via Europe. I'd used a supposedly reliable shipper who regularly advertised in Motor Sport and who was going to give my car the very best care and attention etc etc. during the journey.

This is how I found it on the quayside at Toronto docks.

Besides the interior being gutted and thrown untidily in the back as can be seen here, the original Motorola radio and console had been stolen, the whole (new) exhaust system had been knocked off and broken, the car had been hit in the front and the bumpers pushed into the bonnet. Some of the irreplaceable early type chrome trim had been ripped off bent or or stolen. The switches had all been left on and the battery was flat.

After I complained to the shipping company, I received a reply from the managing director declining any responsibility and telling me I ought to have the intelligence to understand the hazards involved in international shipping. What a total a.h.

I think I got about $600 from the insurance company.

Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnnydougherty
Australia

#22 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by johnnydougherty » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:04 am

With this I guess I'd be using a container shipment since there are a lot of reviews saying about how roro gets their car damaged. Also I think in RoRo shipping, I am not allowed to ship my personal belongings along with the car while BRI Brisbane container transport allows for spare tires and other items to be shipped along with the car which is an advantage.
Last edited by johnnydougherty on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

stevew277
Great Britain

#23 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by stevew277 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 am

I have used both TJ Global and Shippio on the transatlantic shipping route. In both cases I opted for RoRo and had no problems with damage or missing bits. The vehicles were working but not concours so the risk was acceptable to me.
Steve
1965 Series 1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#24 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by AussieEtype » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 am

I used RORO - the vehicle did get damaged (most likely on the truck in the UK not the ship) and car was broken into on the wharf in Sydney. Not sure if there would have been any difference if it was in a container - noting a container ship has just lost about 50 containers off Sydney and the cleanup is still ongoing - if a car had been in one it would have been lost.

Now not knowing better, I insured my car with Lloyds for what it cost me in the UK. When I went to claim the for the repairs and items stolen (two exhaust manifolds and metal badge) they would only pay 60% as they considered the vehicle was under insured - based on the Australian value. I did ask them that if I had insured for the Aussie price and the ship had sunk crossing the Indian ocean, they said the payout would have only been the UK price - go figure.

So insure for what you estimate to be the higher price - UK or Aust price.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#25 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by abowie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:13 am

AussieEtype wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 am
Now not knowing better, I insured my car with Lloyds
Which is why they have been around since 1686.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jonny XKE
Great Britain

#26 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by Jonny XKE » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:52 am

I imported a car from denmark to the UK on a roll on roll off. It was a fully restored Alfa GT Junior. When I picked it up parts had been taken off and later the engine went, we think someone had put sand in the engine. Be careful!
S1.5 FHC 4.2 OSB 1968

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#27 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by rswaffie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am

If you bring it in from Europe, I used a covered trailer service. Cost around £1200 to pick up from near Eindhoven and bring back to Lincolnshire. All I had to do was go through the NOVA process and then register it.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#28 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by tim wood » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:28 am

Where are you shipping from and to?
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#29 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by chrisfell » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:15 pm

All depends on the carrier and their processes. I exported a car to the West Indies last Dec. Process was smooth, car driven to the docks, left waterside to be loaded on to the reefer Luzon Strait. It was carried in the hold that normally transports bananas the other way. 10 days and three islands later it arrived unmarked at its destination.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#30 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by AussieEtype » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:20 pm

A Uk site and the poster is in Australia - my guess is from the UK (maybe US) to Australia.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnnydoughert
Australia

#31 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by johnnydoughert » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:46 pm

I believe RORO shipping is the safest, fastest and most cost-efficient way to transport wheeled cargo, in particular, plant, machinery and project cargo that is oversized. Sea and air freight forwarding and shipping, and all services in the supply chain from door to door. Although I suggest put it in a container with the help of BRI sea freight Australia
Last edited by johnnydoughert on Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rossco_j
Australia

#32 Re: Shipping - Container vs RORO

Post by rossco_j » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:08 pm

Hello Johnny,
Give Dominic a call, I've used him to get a car from the US to Aus. Completely competent & no fuss. Door to door service.
https://www.personalimport.com.au/
Ross
1972 Series 3 E Type 2+2
1972 MGB GT
1965 Mini Cooper
https://rossjohnsonphotography.zenfolio.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic