OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#1 OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by MichaelDesna » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:19 pm

Does anyone know the correct oil capacity of a 1971 Series 2, 4.2, 2 + 2 with the oil filter on ? Everything I read say 18 pints (9 US quarts), but my dipstick still reads at the "E" level and the car is on level ground in the garage.
Thanks,
Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by mgcjag » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi Mike....yes 8.5 lit(18 US pints).....a common problem with dipsticks is that when you push it into the sump is catches on the internal baffel and dosnt do straight down and get a true correct reading......you should have no curve in the stick and it should slide in easy going straight in......if you have kept on filling with oil it is now probably be overfilled...i would drain it...refill with the measured amount.....then note where this is on stick.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#3 Re: OIL FILTER LEAKING ON 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by MichaelDesna » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 am

Thanks, Steve. I'm going to check that dipstick tomorrow and make sure it's perfectly straight. I did put exactly 18 pints into the car when I changed the oil and filter so I now that the amount is correct. But when I recently tried to start the car after sitting for 6 years it started dripping oil where the oil filter apparatus screws into the "head". What do you think could be causing this ? I took the oil filter off and re-installed it and it still has a very slow drip (once every couple hours).
Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:37 am

Hi Mike...probably the seal between the canister an the houseing.....there is a large ring seal that needs to be picked out and replaced....often in the box with the filter paper there are 2 seals.....you need to use the large one...also where the bolt goes through the canister there is a rubber seal..read through this tread.....it starts with spin on filter but then goes to standard type....Steve
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15938&start=20
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#5 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by chrisfell » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:34 am

"..you need to use the large one...also where the bolt goes through the canister there is a rubber seal..read through this tread...."

My car is different. I can only use the thinner of the two seals, the larger one will not go into the slot for the seal. I never get a leak from the canister to the filter head. Also my canister bolt is sealed with a felt washer, not a rubber one. To date I have never replaced it at service, and it has never leaked. Given that it is only a few pence I ought to replace it next time.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#6 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by MichaelDesna » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Thanks Steve and Chris:
I checked the dipstick and it is straight and goes all the way in to the stopper on the stick. It still reads just above the "E" on the bottom of the stick. So I drained all the oil and there was actually close to 10 quarts in there instead of the required 9 (18 pints). Would this have caused the oil to squirt out from somewhere when I tried to recently start it (but it wouldn't because the fuel pump is no good ----another issue) ?
Thanks,
Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#7 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by chrisfell » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:14 pm

The correct E-Type dipstick is precisely 10 inches from the collar to its tip. Any less (or more) and the dipstick reading will be wrong.
Last edited by chrisfell on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi Mike....too much oil could cause a problem the crankshaft can slap in to the oil and foam it up so lots of air in it then the oil pump cant pump the oily foam..or oil seals can start to leak more...is your dipstick the correct length...is your engine block from an xj6 they had a longer tube that the dipstick goes into so stick sits higher.....search dipstick...plenty of info on the forum....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#9 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by MichaelDesna » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:52 am

Thank you, guys. I'm out of town taking care of my Mom after having surgery but when I get home I will check out that dipstick. I only cranked the engine for a few seconds so I hope I don't have the issues you described, Steve. There is a new fuel pump from SNG waiting for me at home so when I get home in hopefully a couple days I'll install it and try starting it again. Cheers !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#10 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by malcolm » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:35 am

mgcjag wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:18 pm
Hi Mike....h...is your engine block from an xj6 they had a longer tube that the dipstick goes into so stick sits higher.....search dipstick...plenty of info on the forum....Steve
Sounds like a contender given what you're finding. I believe the XJ6 block was smooth compared to fluted? Or vice versa? So should be easy to check if so.. Maybe the start point as Steve says is to measure the length of your dipstick..
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#11 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by MichaelDesna » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:19 am

Hi Guys,
I'm sorry for the late reply. I've been installing an A/C system in the house and the car had to be put on hold for a while. I measured the dipstick and it is only 9 1/2 inches from the bottom to the stopper. So if I add the half inch to the level on the stick it will indicate that the oil level is full as I have exactly 9 quarts in there. I also installed the new fuel pump and after sitting for more than 6 years the car started right up ! But as it was running it started dripping red fluid from the bottom of the small radiator that sits in front of the main radiator. The car has automatic transmission and air conditioning so I guess that's the reason for the second radiator ? If you look at the picture below, you can see the fluid dripping from the bolt on the underside of the radiator. Do you guys know what exactly is leaking and how can I fix it ? Thanks !
Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:18 am

Hi Mike...just like any leak your first job is to thoroughly degrease and clean the area then look for where the leak is comming from...could be something simple......put up a new post on auto transmission if you have problems. ...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#13 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by MichaelDesna » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi Steve,
I cleaned off the area as you suggested, and there is no leak unless the engine is running. I found two transmission lines going into the radiator. I tightened up the hose clamps and am going to start it again and see what happens. But the engine is definitely running too rich. When I changed the spark plugs they were all black, and I don't even need to apply the choke when starting it ! But do you know which screw on the carburetors is the idle mixture adjusting screw, (see picture), and is this something I can do myself without a specialized exhaust measuring analyzer ? Thanks, Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#14 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Hi Mike..sorry dont know about strombergs.....best to start a new post as this was just about oil capacity....a post on adjusting strombergs would be good....or refer to service manual it should have a section on carbs...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#15 Re: OIL CAPCACITY OF 1971 S2, 4.2, 2+2

Post by MichaelDesna » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:30 am