Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
JoeLondon
Great Britain

#21 Re: Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Post by JoeLondon » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:58 pm

Ole,
I used to own a '63 Ford Galaxie in Florida - I "didn't bother" to ship it over and sold it. Regretted it ever since :) Would have been worth a load more here. It's not that expensive after all and depending where you are in UK you may find a garage to rent nearby.
However, I agree, UK seems to care more about RHD/LHD and you get dinged for the wrong one, where as US seems to care more about engine size and less about location of the directioniser.

Just saying, It'd be hard for me to give up that much work.

Good luck!
Joe
1972 S3 2+2 V12 Manual, FHC, British Rusting Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JoeLondon
Great Britain

#22 Re: Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Post by JoeLondon » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:40 pm

Job done. Had the new rear section fitted. I think it looks great. Sure, I've seen super prosport exhausts with smarter welding looking fancy, but I think for manufactured stainless steel, polished the fantail, reseated the gaps at the forward pipe joints, all fitted.. £300 is a good deal. I didn't want to spend the £1200+ for the fancy job, this has cost me as much as fitting the stock mild steel part and carries lifetime warranty, do I'm happy.

The sound is perfect, not too much louder than original but definitely 100% more enjoyable, it sounds like there's a V12 under the hood but without losing the gentlemanly charm.

Car runs better for sure, but will need to look at the mixture now I suppose. Would the expectation be that it would be too lean now?

I tried a lead foot test when I picked it up, revving high, just before I changed out of 1st it suddenly cut flat, like no more fuel, I backed off and didn't try more as I had a long way home.

I cant for the life of me figure out how to post a photo in this forum, the search finds links to instructions, but the links don't work so heres my best effort: https://postimg.cc/vgd7V1J9
Joe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#23 Re: Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Post by mgcjag » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi Joe...when you create a new post and type your message at the bottom of the typing area you should see highlighted. ..add image to post......click on this then select your image.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#24 Re: Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Post by lowact » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:02 am

I read on this forum somewhere obscure: When you "Add image to post" the text it adds to yr post starts and finishes with stuff in square brackets including "url". If you delete these 2 outer square brackets (incl the contents), everyone, not just persons signed up to Postimages, will be able to zoom the image, although not to the very high resolution supported by Postimage. Clear as mud? Photos below, the first one doesn't have the "url" boxes removed, the others do ...

My car came with a renewed exhaust system, fully welded. It hung low. I took it to the exhaust shop, they heated it in several places so they could bend it up to nicely and closely follow the underside profile.
Having fully welded system is very convenient, off/on in a flash, no adjustment required:
I've noticed with the rear muffler and fantail, no exhaust from the outer tailpipes at all, only from the two inner pipes, unless I block the two inner pipes. I suspect a venturi effect, i.e. that air is actually drawn into the two outer pipes ...
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JoeLondon
Great Britain

#25 Re: Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Post by JoeLondon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 am

Steve, thank you. Eyeronically enough, for an optician... I didn't see it. And I've clearly managed it before as I have a picture in a previous post. 😂

Let's have another go.

Joe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#26 Re: Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Fan tail looks upside down with tips angled upwards? Not a bad idea but is there a side view?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JoeLondon
Great Britain

#27 Re: Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Post by JoeLondon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:04 pm

Ooh. You might be right, I thought it looked a lil funny, but put it down to the shininess and the new angle of the pipes.
Good spot. Thank you!
Joe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#28 Re: Speed Hump Scraping - Custom Exhaust

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 pm