Which Coolant Hose Type?

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
thermojac
Great Britain

#1 Which Coolant Hose Type?

Post by thermojac » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:56 pm

I am looking to replace the coolant hoses on my V12 and would be interested in members views/experience of whether to fit silicon or standard cloth reinforced as there is a significant difference in price.
John

S3 FHC 1972 Manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Which Coolant Hose Type?

Post by MarekH » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:03 am

Silicon hoses are only of any interest when a custom shape is needed. There is no "performance" upgrade in this case and presumably the standard fitting silicon hoses are significantly lower value for money. I'd suggest that anyone who has fitted them and thinks otherwise hasn't read "The Emperor's New Clothes" - you don't need hoses with an eye popping bursting pressure spec or a temperature range of -60'c to 180'c in a standard application.

I have some silicon hoses on my car, but only where I have fitted some water flow meters to monitor thermostat opening and bypass flow. as these are a different diameter from standard. I'd say they are less forgiving of any diameter mismatch when compared to rubber and are less flexible to engine movement.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
thermojac
Great Britain

#3 Re: Which Coolant Hose Type?

Post by thermojac » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:16 pm

Thanks for your advice Marek and at 5 times the cost of silicon over standard it doesn't look too attractive.

John
John

S3 FHC 1972 Manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#4 Re: Which Coolant Hose Type?

Post by vee12eman » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:59 am

Hi John,

I have no experience of silicone hoses for the V12, but I have fitted cotton reinforced units and the Kevlar reinforced type too. My advice is DO NOT buy the Kevlar ones. Utterly rubbish. However, one thing be aware of is that even the cotton reinforced type have difficulty sealing if the flanges to they fit are not in good shape. Poor quality castings, corrosion and pitted surfaces are common on older V12 engines so make sure that each flange is in good condition. Either replace badly corroded alloy castings or file/emery cloth the flanges smooth. Also check both new and old castings for casting marks which can be big enough to make sealing difficult. Also, silicone hoses are quite stiff, so hard to get them to conform to damaged/poor surfaces, not to mention simply being difficult to fit, remember there are over 20 hoses, some in difficult to access locations.

Good luck,

Simon
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
thermojac
Great Britain

#5 Re: Which Coolant Hose Type?

Post by thermojac » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks very much Simon for the heads-up on Kevlar. Yes, I believe there are 26 in total so hopefully, the winter months will be enough time :bigrin: :bigrin:

Thanks again

John
John

S3 FHC 1972 Manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Neil Duke
Great Britain

#6 Re: Which Coolant Hose Type?

Post by Neil Duke » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:39 am

Silicon hoses are very soft,I use them on my Special Saloon Anglia.No need for them on the S3.
69 S2 2+2
07 Vanquish S
07 Vantage Roadster
65 Austin Healey 3000
66 Scimitar Coupe
He who dies with the most toys wins.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#7 Re: Which Coolant Hose Type?

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:55 am

vee12eman wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:59 am
I have no experience of silicone hoses for the V12...
I wouldn’t have guessed it, Simon, since you’re the only one to spell the name right. Silicon is a brittle crystalline mineral similar to carbon. Your namesake and our pet chemist Simon Johnson will correct me if I’m wrong, but saying ‘silicon hose’ is like saying the standard ones are coal rubber (which black ones arguably are, due to carbon black filler I think..)

Very good points about dressing/sealing corroded hose spigots too.
Last edited by PeterCrespin on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic